They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

"releasing" clips with Mac trackpad

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

"releasing" clips with Mac trackpad

Postby Craig1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:42 pm

This may be hard to describe. I have a Mac latest OS. When I select a clip by double clicking on a clip and then move it, all is OK. But then every time my curser then touches a clip anywhere, it starts to rearrange the order of clips. The clips turn into a partially clear clip that is then moving around. I can only then restore the order using the Command Z cmd. I have to move my curser around the outside of my workspace to not screw something up. I've tried clicking and double clicking on a clip to get it to release but have had mixed results. This lasts until I chose another command. How do I get the program to "release" after I move a clip so I can continue to work on the video?
Thanks,
Craig
MacBook Pro, High Sierra, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Memory
Craig1
New User
New User

Re: "releasing" clips with Mac trackpad

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Which latest operating system are you on -- Yosemite, El Capitan or Sierra? Also, do you have a Retina display?

El Capitan has been giving a number of Adobe programs fits. (Retina is also causing a number of programs display problems.)

However, I'm using version 14 on El Capitan and I'm not able to duplicate your problem so I don't know what to recommend.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is the video? How did you get the video from your camcorder to your computer?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Craig1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:13 pm

Steve,
El Capitan - 10.11.6. with Retina display. Sony HDR-CX560. Standard HQ, Frame rate is 60i, and I can't find the format setting on my camera. I just tried to duplicate the issue and maybe I figured it out. When I want to move a clip, I double click on my trackpad to grab the clip and then slide my finger along the trackpad to where I want it, then I lift my finger to drop it. Then when my curser comes across or in contact with another clip, it will act like it is moving that clip. But if, when I lift my finger to drop it and then tap the trackpad on that clip before my curser leaves it, it appears that it will release the clip and not do it. Does that make sense?
Steve, thanks so much for your response. I just ordered your book and hope it will answer my inevitable questions. I'm mostly a newbie at this so there is still a lot to figure out.
Craig
MacBook Pro, High Sierra, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Memory
Craig1
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Do you know if your clips are MOV files, MP4s or MTS's?

Also, as an experiment, can you connect a mouse to your computer and see if you get the same results using it?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Craig1 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:57 pm

My files are all of the above as they came from different sources and devices. I'm pretty sure they are hanging up on the mts files - not sure about the others. I'll watch for that.
Yes, I want to hook up a mouse to see what happens. Might be easier than a track pad anyway. I've got to find one!
Also, my supposed fix did not consistently work. Even when I clicked on the clip I moved after I released it, I would still get the other clips being "captured" when my curser went over a new clip.
Craig1
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 14