They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Frustrated and need help!

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

Frustrated and need help!

Postby apeuser » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm so glad to have found this forum. Love watching Steve's great training videos.

Ok so here's the scoop... I've been using Premiere Elements since version 7. I know my way around it pretty well. I've created almost 200 DVDs.

Fast forward to today. I have version 14 and my system is way more than equipped to handle it...

quad core processor
24 gigs RAM
solid state 1 TB C drive with 184 gig free space
1 TB additional drive set as scratch disk
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 video card with 8 gig RAM onboard the card
64 bit operating system
Windows 7 Professional

Elements 14 is installed and has latest available updates etc.

I just dropped almost $3,000 to update my video machine just so I could enjoy what I thought would be lighting fast speeds. I was really excited to play with the software and edit some projects etc. That was until I tried to use it. It's extremely slow. I'm talking 30 minutes or more just to render timeline of a 10 minute video. The timeline is very choppy. I've played with setting of draft versus high quality render. I would assume with my specs I should be able to enjoy the high quality render.

I also grabbed a new 4K video camera... Sony FDR-AX53. I shoot in 4K 60p.

I've run Ccleaner to clean up all temp files as well as registry etc. Everything is clean.

I use a 512 gig Extreme Pro card by SanDisk to record to and then transfer video to my machine.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help to resolve these issues so I can start enjoying myself and get back to creating some awesome video!
apeuser
New User
New User

Re: Frustrated and need help!

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:02 pm

As I said in my e-mail reply, your camcorder shoots in XAVC-S 4K, which is one of the formats Premiere Elements is optimized for so, you are right, if your workflow is in order, the program should run flawlessly on your machine. (Although the program is optimized for Windows 10 rather than Windows 7, but should run fine on Windows 7 too.)

BTW, you do have Quicktime 7 installed also, right? This is required for the program to fully function.

Look at the first clip you've added to your timeline (which I assume is XAVC footage). Is there a yellow-orange line above it before you add any effects or transitions?

Premiere Elements 14 uses the first clip on your timeline to set up its project settings. If it is doing that, you should NOT see a yellow-orange line above the clip, along the top of the timeline. If you do see a yellow-orange line, something is not set up correctly.

Now look at the Project Settings, under the Edit menu. Do the project settings match your video specs of 3740x2160p60? If not, that's at the root of your issue.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby apeuser » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks Steve for the very quick reply.

I've been experimenting with the camera. I just got it so I'm still learning my way around it. The 4K video is saved as an mp4. There may be another setting option that I haven't seen yet. After speaking with Chuck I made some tweaks to my Elements settings which seems to help speed things up a bit. Yes I have Quicktime 7.7.9. Interestingly when I played around with the import settings to make sure they matched my footage, I was able to drag in a clip and there is no line! :)

I figured out how to change the resolution display window size and also to render at 1920 X 540 in version 12. The fix wasn't so simple in 14 as the prel file can't be edited as easily as it can in 12. However, I was able to use one of my previously saved projects and still keep my preferred 1920 X 540 workspace and also create a preset to render the same size as well. I'm VERY happy about that! I will do some more tests tomorrow and most likely will have something for you to see later in the day.
apeuser
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:26 pm

Great news! Glad we could help point you in the right direction!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 14