They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How do I add a black space between two clips?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

How do I add a black space between two clips?

Postby Photochief » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Hi to all,
I am a beginner trying to learn PRE 14 and have 2 film clips of approximately 55 minutes each that I wish to put on the same DVD.
I have considered creating a menu so one could choose either clip, but find it too confusing for this senior citizen so have decided to just put a 5 second black screen between the two clips but haven't been able to figure out how to do that either. At one time I think I saw a tutorial on this site on menu's but can no longer find it. Will someone take the time to help me with my problem? Thank you, Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Re: How do I add a black space between two clips?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:10 pm

First, let me say that you really don't want to put two 55 videos on one DVD, Photochief.

A DVD holds about 70-80 minutes of video at full quality. Premiere Elements will compress to a certain extent, but probably not two hours worth on a 4.7 gig disk. Trust me. You're going to run into some serious headaches if you try. (Yes, Hollywood can squeeze more than that on a disk -- but they're using some pretty advanced compression tools AND dual-layer discs.)

That said, it's easy to create a 5-second black video. Just position the playhead between your two movies and go to the Project Assets' Panel Options (in the upper right corner of Project Assets) and select New Item/Black Video).

But first I think you should reconsider maybe spreading those two 55 minute movies out over two DVD discs.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Photochief » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:41 pm

Hi Steve,
Thank you for your reply.
I am so used to getting discs that contain 2 or 3 one hour episodes from Netflix that I was unaware that I can only put approximately 1 hour on my own PRE 14 copies.
I am going to take your advice and use 2 DVD's. Thanks for the help. Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Photochief » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:28 am

Hi Steve,
The more I thought about our previous messages the more confused I got.
I can record a 2 hour show off of my TV using the SP mode and it looks great even on a 60" TV.
I even recorded a 3 hour plus Super Bowl one year that also looked good.
Why isn't it possible to put 2 hours of imagery on a DVD with approximately the same resolution with PRE 14?
Is this a restriction in the PRE 14 program or a capability not available?
I would like to investigate this further. I have both your PRE 14 Guide and Tips books so if you have covered it in either one I would like to know where to find this information.
I don't mean to bug you but I am a newbie at this whole video thing and find it difficult to comprehend but want to learn.
Thank you. Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:40 am

I'm only warning you about the potential heartache, Photochief. You're welcome to venture there if you'd like and see if you can fit a two hour Premiere Elements project on a standard DVD. It may work.

But just be aware that, if it won't go, the duration of your timeline should be the first thing to troubleshoot.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MrGrunthunter » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Steve, Just curious. Would one way to accomplish what he wants to do be then to play his videos on his TV and then record them off the TV onto a single DVD or am I really confusing things here?
Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Instld RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0
MrGrunthunter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:05 pm

It all comes down to compression, photochief. All DVD video is compressed, but the longer the video is, the more it has to be compressed in order to fit on the DVD. The problem with compression is that it is lossy. Something in the image has to be thrown away in order to compress each frame. The compression algorithm tries to eliminate detail that is perceptually not noticeable first, but as the compression level increases, more and more noticeable detail is affected. The movie will become blurrier or smeared and compression artifacts will become more prominent.

For highest quality, I recommend a rule of thumb of about one hour per standard SL DVD. Can you place more on a DVD? Certainly! Many people find 90 minutes per DVD quite acceptable. You might find two hours acceptable. I don't know. It kind of depends on the content of the video (some types of scenes compress higher than other types), the purpose (will this be viewed on a large screen TV or in a small window on a computer), and the viewer's tolerance for poor image quality. You can certainly try placing two hours on a DVD. Premiere Elements isn't designed for ultra high compression, but I would expect that it may handle that level. I haven't tried it. Personally, I find video that compressed to be unacceptable. Your mileage may vary. :) Just remember, you are trading quality for quantity.
Bob

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:11 pm

Just curious. Would one way to accomplish what he wants to do be then to play his videos on his TV and then record them off the TV onto a single DVD or am I really confusing things here?

You are confusing things. The video will still need to be compressed to fit the DVD and adding an intermediate capture like that will further degrade the quality. It won't be as good as directly compressing from the original source.
Bob

Postby Photochief » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi to all and thanks to all for responding.
Let me explain what I am trying to do. A good friend gave me 2 VHS tapes and asked if I could put them on DVD for her. I figured no problem. I put them in one of my combination recorders and made a DVD of each tape. We tried them both out on my big TV and she loved them but added additional requests. One, could I cut out a portion of the video - an EX problem I believe and could I put both video's on one DVD. Although I know very little about PRE 14, but want to learn, I figured it would be a good chance for me to learn new things about the program. And that is how I ran into problems.
When I copied it from VHS I used the SP format but figured something would be lost in the transfer, but it didn't look bad on a large TV. I opened it in PRE 14 to edit out her desired Imagery and I now have 2 videos in the PRE PREL format that apparently only Premiere Elements can decipher. I tried to combine them in PRE 14 but couldn't find a way to open both in the same timeline. I can make an .ISO image of each individual PREL file and ImgBurn to a DVD disc, and they look fine to us but still would like to put them on one disc if possible.
Thanks again to all that took the time to read and answer my messages. Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:35 pm

I opened it in PRE 14 to edit out her desired Imagery and I now have 2 videos in the PRE PREL format that apparently only Premiere Elements can decipher.

That's because PREL is not a video format, it is a project file. The project file only contains information about how you edited the video. You can think of it as a set of instructions for Premiere Elements to use when you export your project to an actual video or DVD.

I tried to combine them in PRE 14 but couldn't find a way to open both in the same timeline.

That's a capability of the Pro version, but not the Elements version. Premiere Elements can only have one timeline and you can not import one Project file directly into another project. You can, however, export one of your projects to a video file (not to a dvd or iso) and then import that video file into your other project.
Bob

Postby Photochief » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi to all,
Thank you for the great advice.
I took Bob's suggestion and saved video number 2 as a MP4 file and opened up the PREL file of video 1 and added the new imagery, so now I have copies of both videos on one timeline. It came out to 01;47;18;06 so I think I am OK. I then took Steve's suggestion on adding a 5 second Black section between the two videos but before I try to turn it into an .ISO image can I put a title on the Black section to differentiate the two videos? Many thanks to all for taking the time to help me. Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:15 am

With VHS source going to DVD the image quality issue is, most likely, a non-issue.

But for situations like these - fitting long video(s) onto a DVD - I use dual layer discs.

http://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en/pro ... 67/?con=25
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:15 am

Yes, you can of course put a title over the black video.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Photochief » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:00 am

Hi Steve,
Thank you for the quick response.
Can you give me a hint on where in your book I can find out how to put a black title between the 2 clips?
Thank you. Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:35 am

In "The Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 14", you'll see how to access the tool to add 5 seconds of black on page 63.

As I said, just position the CTI playhead between the two clips on your timeline and then select, from the Panel Options, New Item/Black Video.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 14