They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Can I install PE14 and without affecting PE11?

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

Can I install PE14 and without affecting PE11?

Postby JBCoons » Sun May 29, 2016 1:43 am

I have been using PE11 since it was released and have hundreds of PE11 projects. It's time for me to move up to PE14, but I need to keep PE11 installed and fully functional for the times I need to go back to some of the PE11 projects. So... can I install PE14 and use it for my future projects with no "ill effects?" I usually open my projects by finding them with Widows Explorer and double-clicking on the .prel. Does PE14 use the same file extension? If so, I guess I could right-click and select the "Open with" option. Thanks for any advice you might offer!
JBCoons
New User
New User

Re: Can I install PE14 and without affecting PE11?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun May 29, 2016 2:50 am

Different versions of PrEl can happily co-exist on your PC.

It is always best to finish a project in the PrEl version that you started it in but, once finished, it should be possible to open up those completed projects in the newer version of PrEl.

What one cannot do with any confidence - or even at all (?) - is open up (say) a PrEl v14 project in PrEl v11.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Re: Can I install PE14 and without affecting PE11?

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun May 29, 2016 4:01 am

A couple of notes...

As John said, you can have older and newer versions installed on your computer without any problem. The executables do have different names, i.e. "Adobe Premiere Elements 11.exe" and "Adobe Premiere Elements 14.exe". However, don't try to run more than one version of Premiere Elements at the same time.

All project files, no matter what the version, have the same .prel extension, so instead of double-clicking on the .prel file to open it I'd recommend getting used to opening the version of PrEl that you want to use, then open the project file from the File > Open menu. This will keep things separate. I like to keep separate folder structures for each installed version of the program. I have folders for Premiere Elements 7 projects, Premiere Elements 10 projects, and Premiere Elements 11 projects, with all of my projects in separate sub-folders beneath each respectively. Having said that, if you still prefer to open by using the project file, you can use the right-click "Open with" method that you described. Old habits are hard to break though, and I'd be afraid that I'd end up double-clicking out of habit.

Although you can open an older version project in a newer version, once it's saved in the newer version it will be unreadable by the older version. If you want to be able to keep your ability to open a project in the older version be sure to make a copy of the project file and use the copy in the newer version. Some older versions have features that newer ones may not, so things can be lost in the transition. Personally, I just edit projects in the same version that they were created.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to PRE Version 14