They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Effects sliders doing nothing

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

Effects sliders doing nothing

Postby mikecox » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:11 am

I was adding scale key frames to a clip when suddenly the scale scroll bar and the double arrow scaling numbers stopped working. The numbers changed and the slider moved but the image in the preview pane did not change. The vertical and Horizontal position sliders stopped working as well, but I could drag the image around in the preview pane.

I also noticed, after dragging the sliders around, trying to get them to respond, that my preview image zoomed in and out and all over the place, as I scrubbed along the time line, even though there were no key frame markers on the Effects panel time line at the point where the zooming was occurring.

A couple of times I noticed a rectangular outline, in red, on my image, but it came and went.

I shut the program down but after restarting it nothing had changed, so I deleted all the key frames, using the delete icon that delivers the "this will delete all.." warning, and started over but after working on the clip for awhile it started behaving the same way again.

For example, as I scrubbed along the time line the scale slider moved from 1500 to 100 but the image remained zoomed in. If I move the slider nothing happened.

I rebooted my computer but that didn't help.
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Effects sliders doing nothing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:31 am

First, I'd make sure that the video clip that your playhead is actually over the selected clip on your timeline. More than once I've not been able to figure out why make settings weren't having any effect only to find that I was adjusting a clip other than the one that appeared in the Monitor panel. So double-check that.

Other than that, I'm not sure what's up, Mike. Never heard of anything like that.

Assuming you're on a Windows computer, set your Folder Options to Show Hidden Files and then go to C:/Users/[owner]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Premiere Elements/14.0 and delete the file Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs -- then restart the program.

If that doesn't solve your problem, you may want to uninstall it, run CCleaner and then reinstall the program. You won't lose any work in progress, but at least it will give the program a fresh start.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:54 am

I've had a similar problem a while back in Photoshop Elements where suddenly an adjustment simply stopped working. I could change the values, but nothing would change in the photo I was working on. Other adjustments continued to work, but that one would not. This has been a while ago. I remember posting about it here, but couldn't find the thread in a search. If I'm remembering correctly, nothing I tried would solve the problem except that in the end I had to reinstall the program to get things back to normal.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby mikecox » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:12 am

Nothing worked so I simply uninstalled and installed the program again, but that didn't solve the problem! So I removed the clip and dragged another copy down from Assets. It's working now :conf:

Apparently it was something I did on the clip that was causing the problem.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mikecox » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:52 am

I think I've found the cause of this strange behavior: Time Remapping!

I was setting key frames into a section of the clip that had been remapped.

After I posted this I remapped a section of the clip and started having the Scale problem again. When I removed the Time remap the problem went away, when I put it back the problem returned!

It appears that the key frames must be set before Time Remapping.

I just discovered another mapping issue. Once I'd sorted out the above I finished my clip and, before going on to the next clip, I added a fad out. It didn't work! I went to the Applied Effects and checked the opacity; the slider was moving to zero, but the image wasn't fading!

I went in and removed the Time remapping and then checked for the fade out and it worked with the remapping removed.

I then added the remapped segment and the fad out still worked. But I found this at the end of the clip.

No effect.jpg

Like I said, the fad out worked, as though this wasn't even here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:25 am

Interesting find, Mike!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:50 am

It sounds like the bug with time remapping in Premiere Pro. In Premiere Pro you have to apply time remapping to a clip, nest it into a new sequence, and then apply any additional effects.

Since you can't nest in Premiere Elements, try time remapping, export the clip, and then import the exported, time remapped file back into Premiere Elements.
Peru

Postby mikecox » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:17 pm

Peru wrote:It sounds like the bug with time remapping in Premiere Pro. In Premiere Pro you have to apply time remapping to a clip, nest it into a new sequence, and then apply any additional effects.

Since you can't nest in Premiere Elements, try time remapping, export the clip, and then import the exported, time remapped file back into Premiere Elements.
Interesting, I'll give it a try. Thanks!
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 14