They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Bezier curves

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

Bezier curves

Postby mikecox » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:55 pm

I've been very focused on Ps and Lr projects over the past couple years and have forgotten a lot about PrE in the meantime; "use it or lose it" applies here.

I have recently been working on a slide show and while I found Pan and Zoom easy to use, it's very basic; down and dirty, keyframing, with little control. But because I'm very rusty I found that I could use it to set up the basic keyframes then fine tune the result the Motion controls.

The thing I'm have trouble with, mostly, is Bezier curves. I seem to recall a tutorial that explained them in more detail than Steve has done in his PrE book 11, 12 and 14. I need to relearn the options; Spacial vs Temporal, and Auto vs Continuous, and how to find the adjustment handles.

I've downloaded all the tutorials with "Keyframing" in their descriptions but they are describe as "basic keyframing" so I wonder if any of them will get into Bezier. Can someone refer me to a good tutorial on this topic?

ps I just found Steve's "Up and Running PrE 13" on Lynda.com and he does have a section on Bezier curves. It looks very familiar :yh: I remember watching a couple years ago. I think it's the tutorial I was thinking about.
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bezier curves

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:26 am

It's not quite as easy to Bezier curves as it used to be, Mike, but you can still do it.

You can apply some temporal and spatial interpolation to keyframe points right in the Applied Effects panel but right-clicking on each keyframe and selecting an interpolation method.

But to do precise Bezier adjusting, you need to work on the clip on the timeline itself.

To do this, set the effect on the clip to the property or effect you want to interpolate. (It's set to Opacity by default.) You should see any keyframes you've added to that effect.

Right-click on a keyframe and select Bezier interpolation. You should then see little handles appear around the keyframe so you can adjust the shape and size of the Bezier.

You may need to widen the track height on the timeline so you've got room to work.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Bezier curves

Postby mikecox » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:20 am

Thanks for this Steve,

I can see why you say it's difficult. I maxed the track size, which helped a little, then I thought of the Magnifier option, and that helped a lot!

I wonder about those tracking dots on the preview screen though and why the keyframes don't change shape when I click, and change the option, on the timeline. From "ease in" to "ease out" for example.

btw, I have a new, maxed out, Windows Surface Book with an i7 processor, SSD and tons of memory. Scrubbing is no longer a frustrating process it once was, it now flows very smoothly in response to the mouse!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 14