They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Placing a transition between scenes on a clip.

Specific to Premiere Elements version 14

Placing a transition between scenes on a clip.

Postby k8dio » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:43 am

I am just getting started on Premiere Elements 14. I know how to apply transitions on the beginning and end of a clip. Let's say that I have perhaps 10 different scenes in the clip. I would like to be able to put transitions between the scenes on that clip. Is there a way to do that? Thanks.
k8dio
New User
New User

Re: Placing a transition between scenes on a clip.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:32 am

Absolutely!

Have you checked out our free 8 part Basic Training for Premiere Elements tutorial series?
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 23&btn.y=9

Part 4 deals with adding transitions.

Not only can you add transitions between clips -- but with Premiere Elements you can select a whole series of clips and add a transition between all of the clips in the sequence with a single click or two! We show you a whole bunch of transition tricks like this in our book, if you're interested.

Just let us know what you want to do.

Welcome to Muvipix, k8d!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby k8dio » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:33 am

Steve, thanks for your reply. Yes, I have watched all of your tutorials on YouTube. Perhaps I'm not making myself clear on what I am trying to do.

I have several mini DVD's that I brought into the PC. I guess you would call each one of the files a clip. So, I have 10 different clips that I brought to the timeline. Now, each one of these clips has many different scenes. I would like to put a transition between some of these scenes. Does that make sense?

I didn't find a way to do this, in your tutorials, but I may have missed it.

I'm planning on getting your book as it would be a lot easier to review the topics without going back to YouTube.

Best regards,
Lloyd Korb
k8dio
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:46 am

Hi Lloyd, You will first need to cut the clip where you want to place the transition. Most of our tutorials about trimming clips or working with clips on the timeline will be helpful. Don't worry about the software version that was used for the tutorial, the timeline has hardly changed at all since version 2.

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:34 am

As an additional note, if you just add a cut and put a transition at the cut you won't see anything happen at the transition. You have to remove some frames (usually some from each side of the cut), delete the gap, and then place the transition. The minimum total number of frames that you remove will have to at least equal the length of the transition - 30 frames for a one second transition. But you may want to remove more, depending on the effect you want.

If you want to keep all of the frames of the original video, another option is to make the cut and then insert a few seconds of black video at the cut. Place a dissolve between the preceding clip and the black video, and another between the black video and the next clip.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby k8dio » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:42 am

Chuck and Dave, thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.

Lloyd
k8dio
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:41 pm

Hi Lloyd, Be sure to watch parts 3 and 4 again :)

http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby k8dio » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi Chuck,

Well, I'm familiar with putting transitions between individual clips but that is not what I am trying to do.
I am trying to put transitions between different scenes on the same clip.

As an example, let's say that I just have one clip. Now, in that clip are many different scenes. I want to have transitions between these different scenes. So, instead of jumping from one scene to another scene I want to have a slow transition to the next scene.

I really don't see a way to do that.

I read and re-read Dave's message but came away with my head spinning. :) If that is the only way to do what I want to do I'll just not do it!

Thanks,

Lloyd
k8dio
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:27 pm

What we've been saying, Lloyd, is that you can't drop transitions into the middle of a single clip. That's just not how transitions work.

If you want to add transitions between scenes within a single clip, you must first split this clip into segments -- then you can add transitions between the segments.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:19 pm

Sorry Lloyd. In an effort to help, I overwhelmed. Mea culpa.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby k8dio » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:39 pm

Steve, I split the video and added a transition. Then I did a render. If I could figure out how to attach a .jpg to this message I'd show how the time line looks.
It shows the split plus a 3 second transition. But, when I play this clip I don't see the transition.

Thanks for your help and patience!

Lloyd
k8dio
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:10 am

Lloyd,

After you cut the clip at the scene change, you need to trim off some additional footage for the transition to work the way you intend. If your transition is three seconds long, trim off one and a half seconds from the end of the first scene and one and a half seconds from the beginning of the second scene. Now apply the transition and you should see the blending you expect.
Bob

Postby k8dio » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:57 am

Bob, thanks for the info. I'll give it a try. Really appreciate all of the help.

Lloyd
k8dio
New User
New User

Postby k8dio » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:13 pm

I have been spending some time experimenting with the different transitions.

As an FYI, here is what I found under the Dissolve selection menu:

The only dissolves that worked were Additive Dissolve, Dip to Black, Dip to White, and Random Invert.

Cross Dissolve, Dither Dissolve, Film Dissolve and Non-Additive Dissolve did not work.

Any ideas on why some would work and others would not?

Thanks, Lloyd
k8dio
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:47 pm

It sounds like you are cutting a clip and then applying a transition between the two pieces without further trimming the cut. Some of those transitions rely on the cut off media (i.e. the handles) to create the transition, others don't. If you use a transition that uses the handles (such as cross dissolve) and you don't trim off the ends of the two pieces, in effect, you will be transitioning from itself to itself and you won't see a change -- you must trim off the ends to see these transitions work.
Bob

Next

Return to PRE Version 14