They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Knowing where I am

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Knowing where I am

Postby sadddletree » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:13 pm

I am getting more complicated here. I am inserting a second piece of film as B roll into my main film and I have it cropped so it sits in one corner. I can move it around so the movement in the B roll fits perfectly with the audio. So far so good. Now I want to duplicate this identical piece of film twice so I can run it at two different slower speeds. I would like to crop it in the clip monitor to make sure the three pieces are identical.

So... is there any way from the time line that I can tell exactly where in the B roll I am so I can put a "set in" into the B roll when it is in the timeline where I have it matched with the audio? Or is there some way I can tell exactly where I am in that section of film from the timeline so I can go into the clip monitor and set it in there so I can duplicate that section?

(I hope this makes sense.)
Windows 10, Intel (R) Core, i7 - 6500 U CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.6 GHz, 12 GB RAM
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Knowing where I am

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Double click on the clip in the timeline. The preview window will open and the in and out points will be marked. You can read the time code at the in and out points to determine the exact trim points.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:05 am

1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:23 pm

Thank you yet again! This is what I needed to know!
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sadddletree » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:04 pm

OK, next issue. If I double click on the section in my timeline, the time listed is different than the times on the full clip when I duplicate it. The set in places are different, though close. And I can't find on the original video the time that is on the clip that comes up when I double click the timeline. I don't get it... (Sorry)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:34 pm

The times shown for the in and out points in the preview window should match the actual times in the clip. Assuming you are working with only one b-roll clip, it looks like you have placed two completely different sections of the clip on the time line. Either that or something seriously weird is going on.

When you double click on a clip in the assets panel, the preview window will open and you can select in and out points. Once you have selected an in and out point, you can either 1) drag the trimmed clip from the preview window and drop it on the time line, or 2) you can drag it to the assets panel and drop it there.

Let's take case 1 first. Dropping on the time line you will get the same exact result as placing the entire clip on the time line and then trimming it there. Double clicking on the clip in the time line will bring up the preview panel with the in and out markers set to those of the clip and you can change them if desired -- you have access to the entire clip.

Case 2 works slightly differently. When you drag and drop the trimmed clip to the asset panel, you create a subclip. You can place a subclip on the time line just like you would with a regular clip. You can further edit the subclip on the timeline just like you can with a regular clip. If you double click on a subclip in the time line, you will get a preview panel where you can adjust the in out points. But, here's the difference, you don't have access to the full original clip. You can only trim within the bounds of the subclip. The time codes will match the original base clip, but you can't see the portion outside the clip boundary and you can't move the in out points past those limits.

It sounds like what you want to do could be easily accomplished with a subclip. The subclip would define the portion you want to duplicate and you can place it on the time line as many times as desired. You'll get exact copies.

I don't have access to PRE 13 so I can't personally verify that you can create subclips with it. But, that capability was in earlier versions and is also in the Pro version. I'd be very surprised if Adobe took out the capability.
Bob

Postby sadddletree » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:47 pm

OK. That explains part of it. I did #2. I trimmed it in the preview panel and the closed it, leaving the trimmed portion in the asset panel. Then I added that trimmed portion to the timeline, and that is what I would have been bringing up with my double click. This explains why I just have about a 3 second section and not the full minute or two it was originally.

But, the time codes don't match the original clip at all. What used to be 11:58 or whatever is now ground 0 in the double click clip. If I end up working with it in the timeline (making it a bit longer or shorter to fit with the external audio) how can I tell where I am in the original full length section?

Thanks for helping me with this!
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:14 pm

It sounds like Adobe may have changed how Premiere Elements handles sub clips. Every version of Elements and Premiere Pro I've used maintained the original clip time code. If they have reset the sub clip timecodes to begin at 0, I don't see any way of determining the location of the sub clip in the base clip. Earlier versions of Premiere Elements also had video in point and out point columns in the list view that would show those values. That appears to have been eliminated also.

I don't have access to the later versions of Premiere Elements. Perhaps Chuck or someone with a current version could verify that the behavior of sub clips has changed so we know that it's not just an issue with your system.
Bob

Postby sadddletree » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:59 pm

I've got this one set up to work for now. It only took about 4 hours for the 30 seconds of film... If I hit the issue again I will let you know.
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 13