They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Playback speed when viewing timeline

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Playback speed when viewing timeline

Postby Naturopath4you » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:21 pm

Can someone tell me how (I assume it is possible?) to increase the playback speed when viewing my timeline?
When I have 6 to 12 hours of video, and I have finished my editing (I think) --
But I want to view the entire set of videos at maybe double speed, to see if I missed anything, how do I change my viewing speed before I render/save the final project.

I have screwed myself a few times by NOT viewing the entire set of videos after what I thought was final editing, generally due to it being a really long presentation, and then later finding something I need to change.
If I can view it at a much increased speed, I can make sure I didn't miss anything without having to view it in real time
Hope someone can show me how to do this
Thanks
David
intel i7 Quad /Wind 7/64 / 32 gig RAM /Geoforce GTX1060/ 2 terabyte RAID-1 internal / 16 terabyte DROBO-5D external /Laptop Dell Latitude 3340 i5 Dual 2.6ghx 12gig RAM
Naturopath, Clinical Nutritionist and educator http://www.DavidGetoff.com
Naturopath4you

Re: Playback speed when viewing timeline

Postby Peru » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:55 pm

I don'r know if it works in Premiere Elements, but in Premiere Pro the J or L keys can be pressed repeatedly to change the speed of a clip playing in the timeline.
Peru

Postby Naturopath4you » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:51 pm

Nope J or L keys do not do anything but thanks for trying
intel i7 Quad /Wind 7/64 / 32 gig RAM /Geoforce GTX1060/ 2 terabyte RAID-1 internal / 16 terabyte DROBO-5D external /Laptop Dell Latitude 3340 i5 Dual 2.6ghx 12gig RAM
Naturopath4you

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:48 pm

That might be one of those differences between the Pro and Elements versions ....
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:13 pm

Hmmmm...
Well, in lieu of the above, you could save your project under a different name and in the copy project select the entire project in the timeline, right-click, Time Stretch, 200%. Then you can watch it at twice speed. Depending on your hardware you might have to render it first. I supposed technically you wouldn't have to do this in a separate project - you could do it in your original project and then just put the settings back when finished. But if something gets really messed up you would at least have the original saved separately.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:57 pm

Nope J or L keys do not do anything but thanks for trying

Those are the "shuttle" keyboard shortcuts and they have been around for a long time in both Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro. They should work. I'd be surprised if they didn't work in Pre 13. They work in Pre 14.

There are actually three associated shortcuts. Shuttle left ("J"), stop ("K"), and shuttle right ("L"). On the keyboard they are next to each other with stop ("K") in the middle.

Please try this test. Open the project and press play. While the video is playing in the monitor, press K. Did the video stop playing? If it did, press L. Did the video start playing again? If it starting playing again, press L two more times while the video is playing. Did the video speed up?

Please let us know what happened. Thanks!
Bob

Postby Naturopath4you » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:29 am

I did as you requested and tried pressing K while the project was playing. nothing happens, it just keeps playing tried a few times as well as pressing L
neither letter on my keyboard has any effect while the project is playing.
David
Naturopath4you

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:37 am

Thanks, David.

One last thing. I'd like you to check the keyboard shortcuts to see if the commands exist but are unassigned.

Edit > Keyboard Customization. In the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog box, choose "application" from the pop-up menu option. Scroll down the list of commands and see if you see entries for Shuttle.

shortcuts.JPG

That image is a capture of the dialog from an earlier version of Elements than yours. Your dialog may look different. If the entries are there but unassigned, you just need to add a shortcut key for the command. If it's not there, it looks like the function has been removed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:00 am

They still work. Do not play the timeline just select it, then press the L key and it will start playing, hold the L key to make it play faster. J will do the same thing in reverse and K will stop. There is also a Slow Shuttle Shift+J and Shift+L

Thanks Bob, forgot all about the shuttle since they removed it from the User Interface :oops:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:06 am

Well that beats the heck out of my workaround!
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to PRE Version 13