They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SAVING TO MP4 AND RECOVERY OF FILES

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Re: SAVING TO MP4 AND RECOVERY OF FILES

Postby baleine » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:25 pm

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your lengthy answer. I printed it to make sure I answer your questions. I do open my project the way you described; I give it a name and start on adding clips.
I do have different locations like when I finish a project, a have a file for .avi format and an mp4 format etc…
I autosave every 5 minutes . You mentioned that if I want to open an autosave file to recover a project, I should be sure to save the project back to the original project file, I don’t know what you mean, or if I don’t want to overwrite the original project file, use save as to create a separate project file. I noticed that most files as a different number 1 to 5, and yet the file that I wanted to open had 5 different files of the same name followed by the numbers 1 to 5 at one time and yet they were gone.
I wanted to make some changes and I found the file by going on the Start menu, typing the name and right click to open in Adobe.
The file which had the Windows Media Players logo did not give me the option to make changes . I could not see the file that I worked on, with all the different audios and videos bands , titles and text on the titles etc… and I could not find it. I presume that when I saved it, it changed format.
I experienced the link breakage of the files and I was able to follow the clips that the program asked for
4. I could not find the file in the Open, it was not listed and none of the 1,2,3,4,5 of the same name, only when I went in the Start, type the name of it and only the Windows Media Player file showed, it did not show me the file with the Adobe Premiere logo beside it, and now if I go to Start, type the name and ask for the same file in the mp4 format, it does not show up and yet I know that it is in my MP4 file.
5. Yes I do set the work area bar both at the beginning and at the end of the project that I want to save, and I give it a name and a location.
Thank you so much for your help! It is most appreciated, and I will post the other topic separately.
baleine

RECOVERY OF FILES

Postby baleine » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your lengthy answer. I printed it to make sure I answer your questions. I do open my project the way you described; I give it a name and start on adding clips.
I do have different locations like when I finish a project, a have a file for .avi format and an mp4 format etc…
I autosave every 5 minutes . You mentioned that if I want to open an autosave file to recover a project, I should be sure to save the project back to the original project file, I don’t know what you mean, or if I don’t want to overwrite the original project file, use save as to create a separate project file. I noticed that most files as a different number 1 to 5, and yet the file that I wanted to open had 5 different files of the same name followed by the numbers 1 to 5 at one time and yet they were gone.
I wanted to make some changes and I found the file by going on the Start menu, typing the name and right click to open in Adobe.
The file which had the Windows Media Players logo did not give me the option to make changes . I could not see the file that I worked on, with all the different audios and videos bands , titles and text on the titles etc… and I could not find it. I presume that when I saved it, it changed format.
I experienced the link breakage of the files and I was able to follow the clips that the program asked for
4. I could not find the file in the Open, it was not listed and none of the 1,2,3,4,5 of the same name, only when I went in the Start, type the name of it and only the Windows Media Player file showed, it did not show me the file with the Adobe Premiere logo beside it, and now if I go to Start, type the name and ask for the same file in the mp4 format, it does not show up and yet I know that it is in my MP4 file.
5. Yes I do set the work area bar both at the beginning and at the end of the project that I want to save, and I give it a name and a location.
Thank you so much for your help! It is most appreciated, and I will post the other topic separately.
baleine

Postby baleine » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi Bob,

baleine

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Please don't repost your responses -- that's not necessary. I always check for new posts whenever I sign on and I will see them.

I get the impression that you do not have the display of file extensions enabled in Windows and you are going by the type of icon displayed to determine the type of file. Is that correct? If so, it might be a good idea to display the file extensions for a while until you get a good feel for the types of files Premiere Elements works with. See this link for instructions as to how to enable or disable that feature.

Edit: had a glitch and the post saved before I finished typing. I'll finish in a second post.
Bob

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:59 pm

I think it's probably easiest if I start with a high level overview.

Premiere Elements uses a variety of files and folders to make a video. One the Input side, you have the media files that will go into the video (the source movie and still photos). On the output side, you have the completed videos that Premiere Elements exported from your edited media files. In the middle, the edit phase, you have the project file that keeps track of your edits and various working files that are used for specialized purposes and are considered temporary in that you can delete them and Premiere Elements will recreate them as necessary. These specialized files are stored in folders that Premiere Elements creates in the same location as where the project file is kept. These folders will have names like "Adobe Premiere Elements auto-save", "Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files", "Media Cache Files", and so forth.

The project file is the master file that contains a record of the media files that you used and all of the edits that you performed. The file extension for this file is "prel". This is the file that you open to continue editing your project or to export a video. Without it, you do not have a video project. When you create a new project, you create the prel file. It is a best practice that you create each new project in a separate folder. I'd recommend that you create a master folder to contain your projects and then for each new project add a subfolder for that project and create the prel file there. That way, you'll keep everything organized and easy to maintain. The prel file does not contain a copy of your source media. It's text based and only contains references to your media. So, be careful to not delete, rename, or move your source media until you are sure you are finished with your project and know for sure that it's no longer needed.

You seem to be confused about the auto save files. The auto save function was created to provide a temporary backup of the prel file that could be used to restore a project in the case either Premiere Elements or the Operating System crashed. If auto save is enabled and a crash occurs, the next time you go to edit your project, Premiere Elements will ask if you want to recover using the most recent auto save file. In the Premiere Elements Preferences, you can set the auto save interval and the number of auto save backups to keep. The default is every 25 minutes and 5 backups. You said your backup interval is every 5 minutes. You must save once to enable the auto save feature, after that, every 5 minutes a backup of the current state of the project will be written to the Auto Save folder. The name of the prel file will be the project name appended with a number from 1 to 5. Premiere Elements will reuse the auto save files in a circular fashion. That is, after the fifth auto save prel file has been written, the next auto save will overwrite the first file and so forth.

It sounds like you are opening some of the auto save files instead of the main project file. That can certainly be done. But, it's very easy to get yourself confused. Because an auto save file is a prel file, it can be opened like a regular project file. Doing so will create a another set of folders for working files including another auto save folder. If you aren't careful, you can end up with a whole series of nested folders and lose track of what you are doing. Especially as you appear to be using the search function to find your project files. Worse, if you go back up a level and open the project file there, you will not have the changes you made at the lower level and you could potentially overwrite the auto save file and you would lose your changes. That's why I said that if you need to open the auto save file as a regular project file and you want to continue working on it that you use Premiere Elements' "Save As" function to go back to the main project folder and either save it as the main project file or change the name and save it as an alternate version. Don't save it back to the auto save file in the auto save folder.
Bob

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:10 pm

The file which had the Windows Media Players logo did not give me the option to make changes . I could not see the file that I worked on...

The file with the Windows Media Player logo is not a project file. It is a video file. Probably one that you exported. You can play the file, but it does not have the information you need to go back into Premiere Elements and make further edits. You need the project file to do that.

If you have established a folder hierarchy for your projects, as recommended, you could use Windows explorer to navigate to the project folder and double click the project file to open the project in Premiere Elements. If you want, you could place a shortcut to the main project folder on your desktop for easy access.
Bob

Previous

Return to PRE Version 13