They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

how to view full width video

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Re: how to view full width video

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:51 pm

I've owned a few JVC tape camcorders and loved them, not familiar with the hard disk camcorders. They are pretty much obsolete now, pretty much everything is either tape or SD Card and tape seems to be going away as well.

Here are the camera specs which make this even more interesting;

JVC Website wrote:RECORDER GZ-MG630AUS

Format [SD-VIDEO] Entertainment Video Profile: Video: MPEG-2 PS / Audio: Dolby Digital (2ch), Still: JPEG
Storage Media 1.8" Hard Disk Drive (60GB), microSD Memory Card

MPEG-2 Video Recording Yes
JPEG Still Shooting Yes
3-Dimension Noise Reduction (3D NR) Yes
Video Recording Modes ULTRA FINE/FINE/NORM/ECO
Still Image Sizes [4:3] 832x624 / 640x480 [16:9] 640x360
Video Recording Time (max.) 14hr 20min (ULTRA FINE) / 75hr (ECO)
No. of Still Images (max.) 9999
Gigabrid Engine Yes (HD Gigabrid Premium)
Still Recording During Video Recording (Dual Rec) Yes

16:9 Wide Mode Yes (Full Resolution)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:05 pm

It has worked well for us. We were able to record two, 8 hour day seminars we gave with lots of room left on the camera for more. But in hind sight, getting something different for this project would have made life a lot easier. We just didn't know. And it is too late now to redo the filming, so we have to work with what we have.
Windows 10, Intel (R) Core, i7 - 6500 U CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.6 GHz, 12 GB RAM
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:07 pm

Yes, unfortunate but completely understandable. If anyone can help, Muvipix can :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:05 am

OK, I got the test files. The file properties as shown in GSpot match the values shown for your actual clip including the sequence extension.

First test, clips play as 720x480 standard definition widescreen (16:9) video in both windows Media Player and VLC.

Second test, I created a test project in Premiere Pro CS6 and imported the two mod files. Premiere Pro CS6 reported their properties as 720x480 standard definition (4:3). This is a known issue with widescreen MOD files in Premiere Pro and Elements. The solution is to use Interpret footage to conform the pixel aspect ratio to NTSC Widescreen (par 1.2121). This needs to be done before you place the files on the timeline. I did that and placed the files on a standard definition widescreen timeline. They displayed properly.

Third test, I dug out my old copy of Premiere Elements 7 (the latest version I had before switching to Premiere Pro) and installed it. I repeated test two by creating a standard definition ntsc widescreen (16:9) project. I Imported the two mod files but did not place them on the timeline. Premiere Elements 7 also reported their properties as 720x480 standard definition (4:3). I used Interpret footage to conform the clips to the ntsc widescreen pixel aspect ratio as before. I placed the clips on the timeline and they displayed properly.

It looks like the only issue is that Premiere is not using the Widescreen pixel aspect ratio. And, that can be remedied by using Interpret Footage and selecting the widescreen pixel aspect ratio.

Denise, I would like you to try an experiment. Create a brand new project (don't open an old one as project files remember past settings). Don't use the Organizer. Instead, open up the Project Assets Panel. Bring up Windows Explorer and locate the two mod files. You should be able to drag and drop (or copy and paste) from the Windows Explorer window to the Project Assets Panel. The files should be added without placing them on the timeline. Now right click on the MOD files in the Project Assets Panel and select Interpret Footage. Then, conform the pixel aspect ratio to NTSC Widescreen (1.2). What properties does Premiere Elements report for the files? Finally, drag the files from the Project Assets Panel and place them on the timeline.Do the clips appear normal (widescreen, not cropped, and not squished)?

If everything looks good, do the same thing with the file that appeared truncated before. Does it look normal now? Do the properties get reported as 720x480 or 540x480?

The 540x480 frame size shown earlier bothers me. Are those files that show that and appear truncated unmodified as they came out of the camera?

Let me know your results of the test I asked for and we'll go from there. I'm reasonably sure we can get this working.
Bob

Postby sadddletree » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:01 am

Bob,

Did what you said, a few times. No change. As soon as the files are in the project assets, they are missing the right 1/4 as before. When I do the Interpret Footage change, they blink but don't change how they really look. Properties still read 540 x 480.

Yes, the files look normal when they come out of the camera and they look normal when we play them on VLC and on Media Player on our computer. They only look this way in Premier Elements. No, we haven't done anything with them at all. I even took a new one and didn't even rename it in case that was an issue. No difference.

Also, sometimes I can drag and drop, sometimes I can't. Hitting open when selected always puts the video into the project manager. Don't know why the difference, but it is there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sadddletree » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:07 am

By the way, is there any way to close the video you are working on and start a new project without totally shutting down the program and having to restart it over again?
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:19 am

By the way, is there any way to close the video you are working on and start a new project without totally shutting down the program and having to restart it over again?

Yes, there is. In the main menu, look under the "File" menu item. Select File > New > Project and you will close the current project and open a new one. Note the keyboard shortcut. If Adobe hasn't changed it, it will be ctrl+n.

Did what you said, a few times. No change. As soon as the files are in the project assets, they are missing the right 1/4 as before. When I do the Interpret Footage change, they blink but don't change how they really look. Properties still read 540 x 480.

Rats! Looks like Adobe changed how Premiere Elements handles the sequence extension in those files. Worst case, the file will need to be converted. Let me look into some conversion options.
Bob

Postby sadddletree » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:39 am

Thanks. Is there nothing in the Forced Settings that would replace what you did in Interpret Footage?
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:19 am

It looks like you got the same results I did, Bob. I look forward to hearing your solution.

Meantime, saddletree, have you followed my advice and looked at your camcorder specs to see if it's available to set it up to record to a more compatible format?

If you can tell us the camcorder model, we may be able to do some research online for you.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:57 am

The model and all the specs are at the top of this page. The problem is that we have almost all our videoing finished and it can't be redone without another summer's worth of work. We have to use what we have now in some fashion, unfortunately.
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:03 am

This is so strange, saddletree. The specs for the JVC GZ-MG630AUS don't show that it can produce a video at the specs of your video. They show that it can store video as [4:3] 832x624 / 640x480 and [16:9] 640x360. Which is even stranger, because none of those are standard video resolutions either!

Premiere Elements does indeed include presets for working with JVC GZ camcorders -- but none that match these settings.

I just don't know what to make of this camcorder. Hopefully Bob will be able to come up with a solution.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:09 am

So we have an anomaly. Story of my life with technology...

Thanks for all your help.

So, is there a way to convert the MOD files to something else that we can use?
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:07 pm

We'll see what Bob comes up with.

Meantime, if you're interested, you may want to consider a Canon Vixia AVCHD camcorder that will solve all of your problems and will make your workflow easy cheesy. Vixias start at about $200 with used and refurbs available for as little as $150. I bought one a few years ago as an experiment, and I've never looked back! What a deal!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:14 pm

Just tried a number of conversion utilities -- many kept the 540x480 frame size. I may have found a free conversion utility that can do the conversion. Had to convert to mp4 though. I placed a conversion of one of the test videos on dropbox for Denise to try in PrE 13 to see it works in that and is acceptable. Waiting to hear back.
Bob

Postby sadddletree » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:16 pm

It worked!!! In dropbox the icon was still truncated and playing it in there it was still wrong. But copying the video into 13 made it work properly. THANK YOU BOB!!!!!

Now, what did you do?
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to PRE Version 13