They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

how to view full width video

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Re: how to view full width video

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Something about those MOD files is weird. Many of the standard conversion utilities had problems with them -- especially if I tried to keep the video as an MPEG-2.

The utility I used for the conversion is called avidemux. I downloaded it from http://www.fosshub.com/Avidemux.html/. They have two Windows installers, one for 32-bit systems and one for 64-bit systems. I have Windows 7 64-bit so I used the Win64 installer. I use Norton Internet Security for my antivirus and it flagged the download for attention but that was because the file was relatively new and there were comparatively few users in their customer base using it. But, no viruses or malware was flagged. I told Norton to go ahead and download the installer. The installation went fine and I scanned the application files for malware -- no viruses or malware was found.

Here's what the main program panel looks like:

avidemux main screen.JPG

Click on the leftmost icon at the top to load the video to be converted. (You'll use the icon to the right of that later to start the conversion and save the file.)

The screen capture above shows the options I set. Under "Video Output" I chose MPEG4 AVC. Under "Output Format" I chose MP4Muxer. You will need to make some changes using the configure buttons underneath those options.

Click on the "Video Output" configure button. You'll probably need to drag the right edge of the window to expand it to see all the options. Click on the "Output 1" tab and select the Pixel Aspect Ratio as shown in this screen capture, then click OK.

avidemux video configuation panel.JPG

Now click on the "Output Format" configure button. Select MP4 for the Muxing Format and click OK.

avidemux output configuration.JPG

Now Click on the Save icon at the top of the main application window.

avidemux save file dialog.JPG

Verify that the Save As type is MP4 -- change to that if necessary -- and enter a file name for the new file. Select a location if you want to put it somewhere else. Click "Save" and the conversion will begin. It will notify you when the conversion is complete.

MP4 files are more highly compressed than MPEG-2 files so you will see a smaller file size than the original. This is normal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby sadddletree » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:56 pm

It works Bob!! Thank you so much. There is no way we could have figured any of this out. Who knows what all those configure options really mean? I sure don't! Nor will I ever learn. I will just cook book it and make it work! But you have saved our video project. Thank you SO MUCH!!!
Windows 10, Intel (R) Core, i7 - 6500 U CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.6 GHz, 12 GB RAM
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:00 pm

I highly recommend a new camera :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Excellent Bob !! Thanks again for all of your hard work and dedication to Muvipix members worldwide :TU:

The Super Hero of the day award goes to ........... BOB !!

:SS:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:36 pm

Agreed!!

Checking a couple things here. Size of the clips in the new format is only 25 to 35% of what they were originally. How is this going to affect the quality of the final video? The sound is obviously quieter, but that is OK as we are using different audio. But is the video going to be good enough for a DVD? How can we tell?
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sadddletree » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:45 pm

And checking here. My husband has put a lot of hours already into editing. Is there any way to change the formats of the parts he has already done?
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:45 pm

sadddletree wrote:But is the video going to be good enough for a DVD? How can we tell?

Try a small project and put it on a DVD.
Peru

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:03 pm

Checking a couple things here. Size of the clips in the new format is only 25 to 35% of what they were originally. How is this going to affect the quality of the final video? The sound is obviously quieter, but that is OK as we are using different audio. But is the video going to be good enough for a DVD? How can we tell?

Don't confuse the size of the file with quality. The two files types use a vastly different compression methodology. The original MOD file is essentially MPEG-2. The converted file is MP4. MP4 is a more recent methodology which is designed to achieve significantly higher compression levels than MPEG-2 while maintaining similar quality. Because MP4 is considerably more compressed than MPEG-2, the files will be much smaller. One half to one third the size is not uncommon. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Remember, DVDs use MPEG-2 encoding so you'll get back a lot of that space and corresponding bitrate when the DVD is created. For seminar type video where you don't have a lot of action or scene changes, the defaults are probably fine. I'd try making a test DVD and see what it looks like.

If you want to have a higher bit rate, you can certainly do that. But, remember, you won't be able to get better quality than the original recording no matter how high you set the quality setting -- you'll just get bigger files. To tweak the bit rate, go back into the Video Output configure button and select the general tab. At the bottom of the panel, there will be a rate control section. The default encoding mode is Constant Bitrate (Single Pass). That's probably the quickest conversion method, but it doesn't make best use of the bandwidth. Average bitrate (two pass) will better utilize the bandwidth, but at the cost of a longer conversion time. If you don't mind the extra processing time, try the Average Bitrate (two pass) method. Defaults are probably fine, but If you want to go further and increase the quality/bitrate settings in this section you can do that. Just don't go hog wild.

As for the sound, I don't know why there would be any difference whatsoever. The specification in the conversion utility was to copy what was there verbatim. No changes were made at all.
Bob

Postby sadddletree » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:24 am

Thanks Bob. We are experimenting.

How do we know what the quality of the original file is? What specs tell us that?
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:40 pm

That's an easy question to ask, but a very difficult question to answer. Problem is, there is no absolute quality scale. It's subjective.

You might argue that uncompressed video would be the highest quality, but consumer grade video cameras do not provide that. And, you generally wouldn't want to deal with that if they did. Uncompressed video requires a tremendous amount of data. To be manageable, the camera compresses the data. Lossless compression does not give a high enough compression ratio, so lossy compression methods are used. Perceptually, you aren't aware of the lost information unless the compression is extreme. So, the video coming out of the camera is not the "highest" quality to begin with. And, the amount of compression and loss will depend on the specific content of the video. There's really no way to tell what the camera did to the video.

For a specific video type, say MPEG-2, the bitrate is a relative measure of quality. Very low bitrates will generally have more compression loss and artifacts than higher bitrates. But, you need to temper that with the actual appearance as played. "I know it when I see it" comes to mind. You generally want to avoid very high bitrates and very low bitrates. For reference, commercial DVDs use MPEG-2 compression and generally target 3-5 Mb/s for the average bit rate.

Don't compare different compression method bitrates to estimate quality. MPEG-2 and MP4/AVC use different compression methods and have different bitrates for the same quality. You'd be comparing apples to oranges. The MP4/AVC bitrates will be much less then MPEG-2 for the same quality.

The 1500 default bitrate in avidemux is probably fine for "talking heads". For moderate motion and scene changes, you may want to bump it up to 2000. And, if you're shooting rodeos or car chases, 2500. But, if the original video out of the camera was not recorded with high enough quality you're spinning your wheels. Do some tests and look at the results. Don't compare full screen on your computer monitor -- this is standard definition not high definition. It's best to burn a test dvd and compare on your tv.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:08 pm

Very well stated Bob :TU:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:48 pm

Thanks. I don't pretend to really understand it all, but I get the drift. We are doing some test DVDs and will be checking them on a larger TV that we have. I don't think the 14" we have it going to cut it... :)

Thanks again. We'd obviously be lost here without this help. We have good information to share. We just want to make it available in a relatively professional way.
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Don't expect a lot from the larger HDTVs, be sure to view letterboxed and not full screen or it will look terrible. The video you recorded is made for a standard definition television, not the LCD and Plasma HDTVs that so many people have today ;)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:55 am

I'm re-awakening this old topic so "the people in the know" will know what type of video we are working with.

Starting work again on this old format video. Questions about settings for publishing it for two different uses:

1.) To publish a short section which I have worked on to then insert into a longer section that still needs to be worked on.
2.) To publish the finished product so I can upload it to something like Vimeo.

Thanks again!
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:27 am

It might make sense to start a new thread with a reference to this thread. Based on you comment I am not sure what your new question is??

Sounds like you want to add a an existing project to a new project then post something to Vimeo?

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

PreviousNext

Return to PRE Version 13