They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

adding audio from a separate digital recorder

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

adding audio from a separate digital recorder

Postby sadddletree » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:01 pm

I'm doing a project that I recorded the audio on a separate digital recorder so I could cut out wind noise and just have better audio than the camera provides. Is there an "easy" way to sync the audio with the video?
I currently use the clip editor to trim the audio and then put it on the timeline with the video and see how it sounds with the sound from the video camera and go back and forth until they are synced. I expand the clip monitor as much as I can to give me the best control of the trimming. Sometimes it goes quick, and other times it can take quite a while to get it right.
Is this the best way to do this or is there a better (faster) way?
Thanks, Rod
Windows 10, Intel (R) Core, i7 - 6500 U CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.6 GHz, 12 GB RAM
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: adding audio from a separate digital recorder

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:00 pm

The best way is the way Hollywood professionals do it: Use a clapper or some device that makes a movement and sound so that you can line the two up.

You can also use an artificial "clapper" by looking for something in your video that includes a matching audio and video moment. A cough, for instance. Or a door closing. Then zoom in on the clip so that you can see the individual frame where it happens as well as the peak on the audio waveform that indicates the sound. Line them up and you should be all set!

The only other way is if your video has the same sound as your audio recording. Then you can literally line up the two audio waveforms and either mute or delete the one you don't want to use.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chris B » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:52 am

The best way is the way Hollywood professionals do it: Use a clapper or some device that makes a movement and sound so that you can line the two up.

You - or someone in the scene - can also use the low tech method and do a single hand clap at the start of each scene. It's especially useful if your camera is a distance away from the subject and the microphone is a lot closer when the speed of sound vs light becomes significant.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby MrGrunthunter » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:10 am

The hand clap is probably the simplest and easiest. There are also Apps you can download for smartphones that simulate the old movie clapboards. I recently posted a short YouTube video that gives a little demonstration on how the one I downloaded works. https://youtu.be/tLqGU24J0Ew As I mention in the video it's only as loud as what your cell phone can make.
Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Instld RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0
MrGrunthunter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:07 pm

You also want to make sure that you do not have a glitch in the video or the audio. If you do you will need to do multiple cuts to line up the audio. Once you get the hang of it it is pretty quick to get the audio lined up. Hope it works for you

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:32 am

BTW, if you're going to regularly edit video and audio from separate sources, you may want to check out CyberLink PowerDirector Ultimate. The program has a multi-cam editor that does an amazing job of AUTOMATICALLY syncing video and audio from several sources.

And, once the clips are sync, you can then select which audio source to use in your final AND you can set up cuts between several video simultaneous video sources.

These are pretty advanced tools for a hundred dollar program!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sadddletree » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:00 pm

Thank you. These are all very helpful. Too bad most of the filming is finished already...
Windows 10, Intel (R) Core, i7 - 6500 U CPU @ 2.50 GHz 2.6 GHz, 12 GB RAM
sadddletree
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 13