They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Adobe Premiere 13, how to cut segments of video

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Adobe Premiere 13, how to cut segments of video

Postby baleine » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:37 am

I work with Windows 7, I transferred VHS movies to my computer, bought Adobe Premiere Element 13. I did not experience any problems with the functioning of the software.
The video is family album with many different subject. I would like to cut the video in many subject segments, save them and use them later on as my project progresses. The video is over one hour long and I have 3 of them to merge together by subjects.
I tried highlighting the section that I want to cut in blue, go to the "publish and share" and save. The whole video gets saved.
I had a chat with Adobe, the sent me links to read, and nothing mentions this function, and yet before I bought the video on Amazon, I asked the question and many answered that it can be done.
Would appreciate help, I cannot do anything before I know who to proceed. Thank you!
baleine

Re: Adobe Premiere 13, how to cut segments of video

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:10 am

Welcome to Muvipix! :meet:

Directly above the timeline is a gray area called the Work Area Bar (WAB). It has a handle on each end that you can grab with the mouse and move to set the beginning and end points. Once you've set the WAB for the part of the video that you want to export, go to Publish+Share > Computer > AVI and select the preset that's appropriate. Since this is standard def from VHS you'll probably want DV NTSC Standard if you're from the U.S. If you're in a PAL region then use the PAL preset. Browse and select the folder you want to save the clip into. Note the check box for Share WorkAreaBar only. Put a check in there. Click on Save.

Lather, rinse, repeat for the next clip.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:18 am

Perfect answer, Dave!

Baleine, it sounds like there are two things you missed.
1) In Premiere Elements, you don't highlight the segment you want to output. You set the Work Area Bar (the light gray area on the timeline ticker) to cover the segment you want to output; and
2) Check the Share Work Area Bar Only option on the Publish & Share panel.

Our books show you more details and illustrate the process, if you're interested.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby baleine » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:37 pm

Thank you so much, to both of you, it worked!!!! I cannot thank you enough.
Steve, I want to buy your book, do you think that it is worthwhile to upgrade to 14? it would help me in knowing which book to buy.
Thanks
baleine

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Have a look at the new features on the left side of this page. In fact, click on the Details link so you can see the complete list with illustrations.
http://muvipix.com/pe14.php

If the new features are of interest to you, go for the upgrade. If not, save your money. Does that work?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:51 pm

You're most welcome. Hang around here a while and you'll find a great group of people, and lots of friendly help. :gl:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby baleine » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:16 pm

Steve, I bought your book, my project is about my family videos, 3 hours of it dating back to the late '50 ! My mother is 92 years old, and I really want to produce something very special for her. I am confident that with your book I will be able to obtain the results that I want. I am also thankful that I will be able to connect to your Community Forum and someone will be able to resolve my issues. In time, I should be able to help also. Thank you!
baleine

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:03 pm

What a wonderful testimony, baleine!

Here's wishing you the best with your project. Know that we're here if you need us.

Video is such a powerful medium! Last year I did two tribute videos utilizing my years of video archives. The effect was amazing!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 13