They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

preview screen is white

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

preview screen is white

Postby robert giorgi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:32 pm

I have a movie with stills and movie fotage working in Pre Ele 13 and the preview screen is white. I have updated my drivers and that did not solve the problem. I have worked with this and several other movie projects and they are all doing the same white screen. When I place my mouse arrow over the white preview screen and left click the picture comes up. If on screen line or time line the movies moves but the screen stays white unless I stop play and click on the preview white screen then the correct picture comes up. Any help on how to fix this? Rob
robert giorgi
New User
New User

Re: preview screen is white

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:12 pm

Robert, in your note to me you said that you are using Windows 7 and that have used video from Canon PowerShot SX480HS camera, and iPhone and even scanned photos with the same result. Is that true? Can you not even see scanned photos that you've imported into your project?

Also, please provide details on the video you're getting from your PowerShot. It shoots in a number of modes. Please confirm that you're shooting in 1920x1080 AVC and that you are using Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera to get the video from the camera to your computer over a USB connection.

You have so many variables to consider. Please be as specific as possible.

Also, for focus sake, please concentrate only on one video format at a time.

First, import a 1000x1500 photo into a Premiere Elements project and confirm that it will not display in your Preview window.

Then shoot a 1920x1080 AVC video with your camera, use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera tool to import the footage from the camera to your computer and confirm that, when it is the first video placed on your timeline, you can not see it in the Preview window either.

Finally, do double-check your updates. Go manually to Windows Update and ensure you have even the non-critical updates, updates that don't install automatically. Then double-check your firmware and drivers for your video card. Over 90% of the time, the symptoms you describe are fixed with a simple system update.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:35 pm

One other thing to try. Some video cards and drivers have issues with GPU acceleration. Try disabling it and see if that makes a difference. In general preferences, uncheck the box for gpu acceleration -- it's on by default. You may need to exit and restart Premiere Elements for the change to take effect.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:51 am

What a great suggestion, Bob! The preferences are found under the program's Edit menu.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 13