They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Menu

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Menu

Postby Bubby Grub » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:50 pm

Hi Guys,
I just completed part one of a video I am doing for a friend, just as a test run I made the file in 13 then using dvd fab 9 I burn't it to disc just for
simple viewing purposes on a rw for any corrections, everything worked perfectly and the quality was excellent. After making some various corrections etc.
I proceeded to make the menu saved and this morning made the file, problem being no menu showed up. I have made menus in earlier versions of Elements
with no problems, any ideas what could have caused this problem.
I do have DVD Architect Studio 6 and also Steve's book 5.0 and have considered doing the menu in that but my problem at the moment is time factor, not
really a lot of time to learn Architect as I am on a deadline to get the other DVD's done by a date in October.
Please any thoughts on what could have happened with the menu in 13 would be most appreciated Thanks in advance Bubby
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Menu

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:26 am

Did you create the menus and add menu markers in Premiere Elements, Bubby? And then did you output this DVD using Publish & Share/Disc/DVD, using the option to Burn to Folder?

You can author the DVD (create the disc menus) in Premiere Elements or you can author it in a third-party program, like DVD Architect. It's up to you and how elaborate you want your menus to be. (From your question, it's not clear if you added the menus in Premiere Elements and then output DVD files or if you output your movie as a file from Premiere Elements and created the menus in DVD Fab 9.)

So if you can tell us what exact steps you took to output your files and create your disc menus, we can help you figure out where things went wrong and why.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bubby Grub » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Hi Steve
Yeh I see where I went wrong, when I originally burnt the project for just checking it, I choose the computer file which made the MPG which I then
burnt to disk, when I was happy I made the Menus as per usual way, then still picked the same output. Now I do have another question I notice that
if I make the MPG folder it gives me a lot better option re-settings which match my source setting, and gives me the progressive frame option
which on viewing on HDTV the quality is excellent. If I pick the burn to disk folder my options are not as extensive or am I missing something again which
is norm for me lately. Also one more question if a project is say 5.1gb and I force it to fit to a dvd am I going to loose an extensive quality problem, and
then again would I be better dividing it half or something like that to keep the quality as the project does have a lot of HD grapic layouts etc.
Sorry for the dumb questions, since I started all this years ago all my project were just standard pal DVD, basically old family and friends family pics,
now I have started all the HD things with all HD cameras and of course now I do so much HD Scrapbooking layouts in CS6 which I love to include in the projects.
Once I get a chance to really work DVD Architect I am sure to be asking a lot more dumb questions. Thanks for any help Bubby
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:10 pm

The size of your project before it's transcoded to a DVD file is pretty meaningless, Bubby, because the whole point of transcoding it to DVD it convert it to a nice, compact format. Instead think about how long your movie is. If it's under 80 minutes, it will easily fit on a DVD.

And, yes, your output options are limited by the type of disc you output. If you're outputting a DVD from Premiere Elements, you can only output a standard definition file with interlaced frames. But that's not a bad thing. As standard definition video formats go, your disc player and TV are designed to make this file look as good as possible.

Though it won't be a high-def video, of course. If you want a high-def disc, you need to output a BluRay disc.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bubby Grub » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Thanks for your input Steve, I understand what you are saying. Actually the project is 80 mins long, but as Little Nac says
it is not your standard kind of project, even I have to agree with him on that. I checked it out this morning and it does say
to big for a DVD, ok I can force it to fit. My other problem that is concerning me is the limited option of output. If you remember
back I came on with the blurry layout, and what I found if I just burnt it as standard DVD with interlaced frames the output of it
was terrible, but doing a MPG file matching my settings with progressive frames the quality of the finished project was excellent
even though it was not Blu-ray. Ok I made that MPG file not worrying about the menu at that stage and then burnt it through DVD Fab 9 Creator
which as I said was great. Am I right in saying that if I burn it to MPG in Elements I can't have a menu. Of course I can have a simple one just
from the Creator but no scene markers etc. Another thought even if I take it into DVD Architect make the menu from there which to be exact
I would really love to do, is the output of it going to take me back to the original problem, although maybe not, the file is great in the beginning, but then again still outputting to DVD will that cause any downgrade, I have been checking the settings in Architect and I am thinking it could be possible, or am I completely
getting things a bit messed up. My option is Blu-Ray which does not worry me to much
but they are expensive and as I will be doing probably about 4 videos with about 5 copies each. also they are a little hard to come by here or at least
it was the last time I checked. Also of course I would have to check with my friend to whom I am doing this for as to the other people they are going
to do they have Blu-ray players etc. Steve if you were me what would you suggest I do, I am definitely open to any thoughts. Thanks again Bubby
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:54 am

but doing a MPG file matching my settings with progressive frames the quality of the finished project was excellent

That begs the question(s): What exactly are your settings and what type of mpg did you output?
Bob

Postby Bubby Grub » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:02 am

setting two.JPG

setting one.JPG

My video was completed and because I wanted to learn and come out with the best quality possible considering what is in the video,
this was what I played around with, figured at this stage I had nothing to loose just my time either way I was very happy with the output.
Right now I am playing around with a menu in DVD Architect nothing to fancy as just the first time I have ever tried DVD Architect,
then I will burn to dvd and see what I think of that. I am not sure about going Blu Ray just depends on if my friend has blu-ray or the
other people who will be getting a copy have one. Not sure what I will do as yet as I said interested in any views. Thanks Bubby
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:15 am

Outputting your video as a 1920x1080 MPG or 1280x720 MPG will produce a nice-looking MPG, Bubby. But, as I said above, once DVD Architect (or any disc authoring program) gets done with it, you're going to get a standard definition 720x480 DVD. That's just the nature of DVDs. They're standard definition.

Using a higher resolution MPG to make your DVD will only cause your disc authoring program to work harder and longer -- but the results will be the same. You'll get better and faster results if you output your video as a 720x480 DVD-ready MPG and load that into DVD Architect.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bubby Grub » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi Steve
Understand completely. At this stage I am going with what I think is going to look the best in this situation.
Thanks again for all help Bubby
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 13