They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editing question-Moving with Rt & Lft Arrows

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Editing question-Moving with Rt & Lft Arrows

Postby Naturopath4you » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:59 pm

When I am moving the red positioning line to find an exact spot or an exact time for editing purposes, sometimes it moves as slowly as I want using the right and left arrows on my keyboard and other times the arrows do NOTHING and I have to drag it which is much less exact.
It is great to be able to hit an arrow key one press at a time for exact positioning but so often it does nothing.
I have not been able to figure out why this is and to correct it.
When the arrows don't work, I have not been able to determine why and to re-connect that function so I can use them for nice exact time movement.
Anybody have any ideas what I am not thinking to do so I can make the arrows work every time I need to use them?
By the way, on a side note, now that my RAM has been replaced along with my defective hard drives, I am no longer having any rendering issues and can render 2 to 3 hour videos easily with no more crashes.
David
intel i7 Quad /Wind 7/64 / 32 gig RAM /Geoforce GTX1060/ 2 terabyte RAID-1 internal / 16 terabyte DROBO-5D external /Laptop Dell Latitude 3340 i5 Dual 2.6ghx 12gig RAM
Naturopath, Clinical Nutritionist and educator http://www.DavidGetoff.com
Naturopath4you

Re: Editing question-Moving with Rt & Lft Arrows

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:20 pm

My first thought is that you are not zoomed in far enough on the timeline to notice the line move. Be sure you are zoomed in far enough as the arrow will only move the CTI (Current Time Indicator) a single frame at a time. You can use the Home or End keys on the keyboard to skip between the beginning and end of the movie. The Page Up and Page Down keys move the current-time indicator to the previous and next clips respectively. The Right or Left Arrow keys move the current‑time indicator forward or back by a frame. Pressing Shift+Right Arrow or Shift+Left Arrow moves the current‑time indicator forward or back by five frames each time.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:45 am

In addition to what Chuck said...
Even if you're not zoomed in far enough you should still see the digital time indicator move a frame at a time. You may or may not notice the video in the monitor window changing, depending on whether the content has much motion to it. If it doesn't change much from frame to frame the difference may not be obvious.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:37 pm

When the arrows don't work, I have not been able to determine why and to re-connect that function so I can use them for nice exact time movement.
Anybody have any ideas what I am not thinking to do so I can make the arrows work every time I need to use them?

In order for the left and right arrow keys to work, the active panel needs to be one that uses those key presses. For example, the timeline panel or the monitor panel. Premiere Elements should highlight the active panel with a colored line. If the highlight is missing or on another panel, click on the timeline panel to make it active and the arrow keys should work again.

I don't know whether this is what's happening to you, but, back when I was using Premiere Elements I would see this when I accidently pressed the either the up or down arrow key instead of the left or right arrow key. That caused the highlight to disappear meaning the panel was no longer active. After I did that, the left and right arrow keys were not functional until I made the panel active again. Usually just clicking back in the timeline panel did the trick, but, sometimes, I had to click in a completely different panel first and then click back in the timeline panel. That was in an earlier version than yours, but the bug may still be present. Try this out next time it happens and let us know if it works.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:21 pm

Excellent points Bob and Dave :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Naturopath4you » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:53 pm

Bob probably has the issue I need to look into, because of course I ALWAYS look at the time number digits, so when I say it is not moving, I am seeing the time digits NOT moving,
I am not even looking at the video itself, since of course if it is not zoomed enough I would not see any movement there.
So now I need to know what you mean by the active panel being highlighted?
Where do I look to determine the "active panel" so I can see if it is one of the ones you mentioned and if it is highlighted and if not, then get it highlighted?
Thanks
I think as soon as I understand what you wrote, I will have my answer.
David
intel i7 Quad /Wind 7/64 / 32 gig RAM /Geoforce GTX1060/ 2 terabyte RAID-1 internal / 16 terabyte DROBO-5D external /Laptop Dell Latitude 3340 i5 Dual 2.6ghx 12gig RAM
Naturopath, Clinical Nutritionist and educator http://www.DavidGetoff.com
Naturopath4you

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:38 pm

All you need to do is click anywhere in the timeline panel to activate/select it and the arrows should work. I did not notice any special way to tell when a panel is active or selected, this is version 13.

Timeline panel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 13