They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Generic error when importing video

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Generic error when importing video

Postby Naturopath4you » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:03 pm

Now I am really going nuts
In addition to my last reply
posted under ARCHIVE SAVING PROBLEMS, which you may wish to read,
Now I can't even re-do the class that is giving me grief.
Every time I open a new project and go to import any .MTS videos
I get ---
ERROR MESSAGE The Importer reported a generic error
I cannot import anything into a new project!
What the heck is going on?
I just completed FIVE 3 hours projects with no hiccups, once I learned how to do everything (with all your help and some trials of my own)
Now as I try to re-do the only class that is a problem, I get this error.

I have opened a NEW project 4 times and it won't let me import any of my cannon .MTS video files. Keep getting that same error message
It won't even let me import the ones from past projects which worked fine a couple of weeks ago. Something is really screwy.
IS there a "repair" feature I can run on Premiere elements or would I have to take it off and go through all the crap of reloading it
Is there a set of CODECS I can try downloading if something got corrupted. This is very very strange. The universe does NOT want me to complete this project!
David
intel i7 Quad /Wind 7/64 / 32 gig RAM /Geoforce GTX1060/ 2 terabyte RAID-1 internal / 16 terabyte DROBO-5D external /Laptop Dell Latitude 3340 i5 Dual 2.6ghx 12gig RAM
Naturopath, Clinical Nutritionist and educator http://www.DavidGetoff.com
Naturopath4you

Re: Generic error when importing video

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi David,

You are probably missing the appropriate splitter, such as the Haali/Matraska Splitter:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/Haali-Media-Splitter

I was able to import a m2t file into Premiere Elements 11 after I installed that codec. However, I'm now going to uninstall the codec since it has caused me problems in the past.

Hope it helps.

Rob J.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Although I never question Robert's suggestions, it might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the program before you panic. A change in operating system sometimes does cause files to be misplaced.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Naturopath4you » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:00 pm

Thank you
I just uninstalled and re-installed Elements 13 and that definitely helps. I can load a project again!
Now I can at least re-do the entire class if I cannot find another way, so the re-install was well worth it and much less time consuming than everything else I have been doing.

Now if only I can figure out why, on my laptop (maybe I should do a reinstall there as well?)
when I bring up my class two 3 hour project, and all three tracks look perfect both on the timeline and in the project media folder (that's one audio track, and the two video tracks for the split screen project) everything seems to be linked and plays perfectly, and there are no error messages, but when I archive it onto my external hard drive and move it to my faster computer, one of the split screen videos vanishes and shows up as the Asian text since the video is gone.
Then if I just try instead to do the rendering/saving on the laptop instead of moving it, it gets to 100% and gives me an error and doesn't complete.
As I said in the other string of posts, I may need to re-do the entire 2nd class.
First I will try to render each of the three tracks individually to see if I can determine where the issue is.
intel i7 Quad /Wind 7/64 / 32 gig RAM /Geoforce GTX1060/ 2 terabyte RAID-1 internal / 16 terabyte DROBO-5D external /Laptop Dell Latitude 3340 i5 Dual 2.6ghx 12gig RAM
Naturopath, Clinical Nutritionist and educator http://www.DavidGetoff.com
Naturopath4you

Return to PRE Version 13