They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PRE 13 not recognizing DVD Recorders

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Re: PRE 13 not recognizing DVD Recorders

Postby Photochief » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:12 am

Hi to all,
I am still getting a slight space between edited video segments. Perhaps I am not removing unwanted video (ie.... commercials) properly. I use the CTI (see, I am reading the book) to the approximate location and using the ‘Step Forward & Step Backward’ buttons to locate the precise location where I want the cut to be made. I click on the ‘scissors’ icon to make the first cut, then drag the CTI by the blue arrow/marker (?) at the top to the beginning of the next desired scene, then using the ‘Step Backward’ button go back a few frames to where I want to edit and make the cut using the ‘scissors’ icon. I click on the unwanted segment to highlight it and hit the delete button on my keyboard to remove it. I then move the CTI back to a position prior to the cut and hit play to see the results. If I don’t like the results I hit ‘Ctrl Z’ and start all over again. Is there a better or more efficient way? I am still seeing a slight space between the edited frames but I cannot relocate the CTI to this space it just jumps to the next frame. Are the frames even suppose to ‘butt’ together after an edit or am I concerned about nothing?

New topic: In preparation for learning ‘Menus’ I will need to insert ‘Markers’ so the various sections will be selected to show up in the scenes locations. Since these are one hour TV shows minus the commercials; is letting the program insert one every 10 minutes or so the best way to proceed or is there a better way? Keep in mind this is only for practice so I can learn how to create and customize menus for future projects.
Thanks for all the help I really am learning this program one step at a time and I think it is great as is this forum.
Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:29 am

Photochief wrote:Are the frames even suppose to ‘butt’ together after an edit or am I concerned about nothing?

You are using Expert View, not Quick View, aren't you? Your technique sounds fine. In the screen capture below I deleted a section from the video as you've described. I then zoomed into the timeline as far as I could go. The section in the screen capture represents about 15 frames, or a half second. I moved the CTI one frame to the left of the cut so that you can see the cut more clearly. Does this look like what you're seeing? There are no empty frames, no gap where the two sections come together.

Cut.JPG

Regarding your question about menu markers, I've personally never found it to be helpful to let the program place menu markers, as I prefer to have control over where they're placed. You say you want to learn how to create and customize menus. Letting the program set markers for you won't give you those skills. Sometimes you've just got to dive in. Zoom into the timeline to fine the exact spot that you want to place the marker, right-click near the CTI handle, and select Set Menu Marker. Give it a name, and select the marker type.

I think there's no better way to learn than to use projects like this for practice. And John's right about the group of people here. The most patient bunch in the world when it comes to helping someone who's motivated to learn.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Photochief » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response.
No, I am still using Quick View and I get a definite gap between edits.

Muvipix-1.jpg

I understand your comments on placing menu markers and it makes sense so that is what I will do with my next project.
I agree that everyone I have encountered on this forum have been friendly and appeared to be eager to help me and I am most appreciative.
Respectfully, Photochief
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Photochief

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:14 pm

Quick View is why it looks that way. You might want to consider switching to Expert View. Don't be intimidated by the name. In the end you'll be glad you got used to it. The timeline in Expert View is much more closely representative of what's really going on with your edits, and you have much more flexibility. And you can still ask all the questions you need.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:09 am

I totally agree with Dave, Expert View is going to be necessary in the long run so it's a good idea to just jump right in :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:44 pm

You might want to consider switching to Expert View. Don't be intimidated by the name. In the end you'll be glad you got used to it. The timeline in Expert View is much more closely representative of what's really going on with your edits, and you have much more flexibility. And you can still ask all the questions you need.

I just want to point out that it's not a permanent commitment, you can switch back and forth between Quick View and Expert View at any time. So, feel free to take a look.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:59 pm

That's good because I don't like commitment :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:12 am

:hyst:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Photochief » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:14 am

Hi to all,
I have tried to work in ‘Expert’ view but with all of the extra items it tends to be confusing. I am going to stick with using it because I recognize that in order to fully learn the program I will need it in the future and eventually I will find it more useful to me.

Now back to my basic problem and my original question. I was advised by a member of another forum to make a change in my ‘Preferences > General’ settings. I was told to remove the check mark from the ‘Use Hardware Acceleration ......’ and see if that made a difference and it did.

NOTE: I tried to include an image of what I am talking about but could not remember how to insert an image even though I have done it before. I tried both the ‘Img’ and the ‘URL’ buttons along the top but never got the option to ‘Browse’ to where the image is located on my computer. I guess my 80 year old memory has its limits.

Both of my internal recorders now appear in the ‘Burn to Disc’ module. I am not sure what Hardware Acceleration does or even if it is available on my computer but I have since replaced the check mark and my recorders are still available in the ‘Burn to Disc’ mode. I am going to need to do further testing to see if it holds but for now my problem appears solved.

Thank you all for your help and advice but now I have a new problem. Since this problem is solved I am going to close out this Topic and start a new Topic later on today.
Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:39 am

Glad to hear it's working for you. For future reference, here's a reminder on how to attach a image:

When you're creating a new topic, or when you're replying to an existing one, there are tabs just below the area where you type your text - one for Options, one for Upload Attachment, and a third for Poll Creation that's only available when starting a new topic. Click on "Upload attachment" and then click on "Choose File." Navigate to and select the image you want, then click on the "Add the file" button. Allow a few seconds for the upload to take place. Optionally you can add a comment to the file in the space provided, then you add the file to your post by clicking on "Place inline." The image will be inserted where your text cursor is presently located.

Don't worry about the aging memory. It happens to most of us at one point or another, and there are more than a few of us here who are pushing retirement age, or older.

Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:45 am

Dave McElderry wrote:...Don't worry about the aging memory. It happens to most of us at one point or another, and there are more than a few of us here who are pushing retirement age, or older.

Get away!! In my head I'm still about twenty five. It is just my body that is falling apart! :exc:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Photochief » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:08 am

Hi to all,

Thank you for the response and information on attaching an image to a message. I probably don't need to send the image now but I want to try your instructions for future messages.

PRE-1-web.jpg

Now that you have jogged my errant memory - I remember it is the same way I did it last time.
Thanks again for all your help and again I have to mention that you guys are the best and always helpful.
Respectfully, Photochief
Photochief

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:32 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Get away!! In my head I'm still about twenty five. It is just my body that is falling apart!

Me too John !!!

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:53 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:
John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Get away!! In my head I'm still about twenty five. It is just my body that is falling apart!

Me too John !!!

Me three.
Peru

Previous

Return to PRE Version 13