They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Burning a Blu-ray disk.

Specific to Premiere Elements version 13

Burning a Blu-ray disk.

Postby prman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:58 pm

After just purchasing Steve's latest PRE book (13), I also bought a Pioneer external USB BDR-XB05 Blu-ray burner, and a Sony BDP S3200 Blu-ray player, hooked up to the HD Panasonic Plasma TV. I created a Blu-ray hi-def movie with PRE13 and burned the contents to an ISO file. Then I burned this file, using the latest ImgBurn software to the disk. Everything went swimmingly, and the verify stage indicated no errors, and that the disk burn was OK. A visual inspection indicated that something had indeed been burned to three-quarters of the disk. But then I tried to play it with the same Pioneer burner, and no luck. Windows Explorer could not identify any files on the disk, saying "This folder is empty." But a menu did come up and said "Files Ready to be Written to the Disk(1)—desktop.ini." It would not play using the latest VLC Media Player nor with Nero 9. BTW, the OS is Windows 8.1

I took the disk downstairs to the Sony S3200, and it would not play the disk either.

What am I doing wrong? Did I miss a step or what? Should I write the "desktop.ini" file to the disk? It has already been finalized by the ImgBurn program. These disks are expensive and I do not want to create coasters. :)

The only other alternative is to burn the Blu-ray disk directly from PRE13, but Steve suggests otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Prman
prman
New User
New User

Re: Burning a Blu-ray disk.

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi Prman,
What brand of discs are you using? Sometimes inferior discs can cause problems with players. Why the variety of brands in your equipment (Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic)?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:28 pm

First of all, don't burn the desktop.ini file to the disk.

Something odd is going on. If you had a successful burn from the iso to the Blu-ray, you should be able to see a folder structure and files on the Blu-ray disc when you look at it in Windows Explorer. I'm wondering if the iso file is empty.

While you're sorting this out, you might want to think about picking up a Blu-Ray Rewritable disc to do the test burns. That way, you won't be making a lot of expensive coasters.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:39 pm

What happens if you put the disc in your disc drive and you explore it rather than open it?

Do you see the VIDEO_ts folder and its VOB and IFO files written on to the disc?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby prman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:21 pm

Media Info.JPG

Steve—

Using Verbatim BD-R White Inkjet 25MB disks. For some reason, there is no "Explore" option on the right click, pull-down menu. The Properties option says 0 bytes for both used/free space. The capacity pie graph shows 0 bytes on the disk. There are no files or folders listed. Here is a snapshot of the Media Information of the burned disk, if you can discern anything from this. It does reveal, however, that over half of the 25GB disk contains information. Also, when I used ImgBurn, it correctly loaded the ISO files (they were the only ones I have on this computer, since this was my first Blu-ray burn trial), and it successfully completed its process. Still can't explain what went wrong, although I am now leery of burning to ISO files if this is going to be the result.

By the way, I returned to PRE 13 to burn the disk directly from that program, and it worked fine. The second disk worked both on the computer and the downstairs Sony—and the concert, made from hi-def clips garnered from YouTube, displayed in glorious 1920x1080 hi-res.

Prman
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
prman
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:45 am

Bob wrote:While you're sorting this out, you might want to think about picking up a Blu-Ray Rewritable disc to do the test burns. That way, you won't be making a lot of expensive coasters.

+1 for this suggestion. I always carry out a test burn to either a re-writeable DVD or re-writeable BD to test on my TV/player before carrying out the final burn. So many coasters avoided... :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:15 am

Just to clarify--

You say your burned the ISO file to a disc using ImgBurn. You didn't LITERALLY burn the ISO file to a disc, did you? That won't work.

In ImgBurn, you need to select the option to burn the ISO file as a DVD or BluRay. This process breaks the ISO file into video and navigation. If you just copy the .iso file to a disc, it doesn't create a DVD or BluRay.

I've just finished a tutorial on using ImgBurn to create DVDs and BluRays from VIDEO_TS folders and ISO files and I expect we'll be releasing it in the next week or so. It's the same process as I describe in the Appendix (page 266) of the Muvipix Guide to Premiere Elements 13.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby prman » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Steve—

I will revisit ImgBurn to see if I missed this step. It was the first time I used the program and perhaps I didn't use it correctly. However, if I simply copied the files to the BluRay disk, they would have shown up as ISO files with Windows Explorer, nicht wahr? As I explained previously, nothing showed up when trying to read whatever is on the disk, although visual inspection showed that something was written to over half the disk. Very mysterious.
prman
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:57 pm

Could be that you just burned a copy of the ISO instead of burning a DVD/BluRay based on the ISO file.

Follow the instructions in the book and see if you get different results.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby vetmom08 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:13 pm

I have had exactly the same results as prman when trying to burn a blu-ray from the .iso file generated by PRE v.13. I used the latest version of ImgBurn, and no error messages were seen - PRE gave me a successful message after generating the .iso. My disc shows tracks burned, but neither the computer nor any of my Blu-Ray players see anything on the disc.

I can also successfully burn directly from PRE.

I would prefer to use the .iso path, as recommended in the Muvipix Guide - I reviewed the directions on p 266-267, and followed them.

Any thoughts? As this is new to PRE, could it be that the .iso it generates is defective? I did check for any updates to the program, and there are none.
Thanks
vetmom08
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:22 am

I'm not sure what's up but I've been assured by another user that, when you follow the proper steps, ImgBurn will have no problems burning an ISO to a disc.

Here's my tutorial on the subject. Remember, you don't just burn the ISO to a disc! You must select the Burn Image File option so that ImgBurn can translate the ISO into DVD or BluRay files!
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby vetmom08 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:33 pm

Must be some quirk of my system, but still no luck. Once again, I do have luck burning directly from Premiere Elements, so I guess that's my workflow for now. Thanks
vetmom08
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:24 am

We're glad to help you troubleshoot this, vetmom, but you'll have to give use more than "no luck".

Can you take us step by step through the process you're using -- what buttons you're clicking in Premiere Elements and ImgBurn and what results you're getting.

It will work. I can virtually guarantee it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby dberthia » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:45 pm

I'm having a similar problem, but I believe the issue is with the generated ISO file, not the process of burning to disc. 3 reasons:

1. I have a number of good Blu-ray ISO files generated outside of PE13. I can open each of these in the PowerISO app and view the contents. When I try to open the Blu-ray ISO I generated in PE13, PowerISO closes immediately. All of my good ISOs create viewable discs when burned.
2. PowerISO has an option to mount the ISO as a virtual drive. Again, this works for all of my ISO files EXCEPT the one generated by PE13.
3. Using ImgBurn, I verified the contents of the PE13 generated ISO matches the contents of the written disc. So, the burn burned the image correctly, but the disc won't play in my Blu-Ray player.

If I had to guess, I'd say PE13 is generating either a non-standard or corrupt ISO file.
dberthia

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:38 pm

That's very good info Dave. Funny how it works for some and not for others.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 13