FAQSearch

Previous topic | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]

PRE shuts down immediately

PRE shuts down immediately

Offline - Frequent Contributor
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:40 pm Post
I have a Dell G5 laptop with Intel i7 processor, 16 GB memory, 500 GB ssd, and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060. It's running Windows 10 Pro which on 1/28 was updated to version 20H2.

After the update to 20H2, my premiere elements 13 will start up but shuts down immediately after the workspace loads (there's no app running when I check Task Manager). Oddly enough it all works fine when I use my external monitor (HDMI). Also, Photoshop Elements has had no issues (so far). I've un-installed and re-installed the app and updates, but the problem remains. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Stan
Last post Reply with quote 

Re: PRE shuts down immediately

Offline - Super Moderator
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:41 am Post
First try going to the AMD or nVidia site and download the latest drivers for your graphics card. This is usually caused by an outdated GPU driver, and Windows updates don't often supply the latest.

Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:32 pm Post
Thanks, Steve. I hadn't done that yet so I updated drivers for both the integrated Intel graphics and the Nvidia but still no joy. I downloaded a trial of the 2021 version and it works so I guess I'll move on from version 13...maybe step up to version 15 or 16 if I can find a copy.

Thanks again.
Stan

Offline - Moderator
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:22 am Post
Potential "red herring" warning!

How much free space do you have on your SSD?

Could be that a windows.old file, left behind when Windows updated, has tipped your SSD free space over the limit(?)

Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:52 pm Post
The lack of space was actually one of the first things I checked (been there before). I've got 134GB of free space which I would think is adequate. Right?

Offline - Moderator
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:00 am Post
Well I did warn that it might have been a poisson rouge! :YY:

Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:42 am Post
As an experiment, download the free trial of the current version from the Adobe site and see if it opens and edits.

You don't have to but it. It's just a way of seeing of the problem is unique to version 13.

Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:54 pm Post
I downloaded and installed the 2021 version and it works. I've been in and out of the app several times over the last few days and haven't had any issues. I suspect that's the way I'll go...I just don't like letting Windows win again.

Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:47 am Post
I'm always sorry to see anyone have to buy a new version of the program, but that would be the best solution in your case, stanatou.

We could struggle to figure out what's up with version 13 -- but, if it were my time and money, I'd spend a few dollars on a newer version and be done with it.

Offline - Moderator
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:39 am Post
stanatou wrote
I just don't like letting Windows win again.

I feel the same way at times, but then I tell myself it's just not worth the effort to chase down the solution when a good workaround is available. ;)

Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:13 pm Post
Thanks for the help and advice...I've downloaded and installed the 2021 Photoshop and Premiere Elements bundle and the early results look good.
Top Reply with quote 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]
Previous topic | Next topic