FAQSearch

Previous topic | Next topic
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]

Playback speed when viewing timeline

Playback speed when viewing timeline

Offline - Registered User
Profile  WWW 
Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:21 pm Post
Can someone tell me how (I assume it is possible?) to increase the playback speed when viewing my timeline?
When I have 6 to 12 hours of video, and I have finished my editing (I think) --
But I want to view the entire set of videos at maybe double speed, to see if I missed anything, how do I change my viewing speed before I render/save the final project.

I have screwed myself a few times by NOT viewing the entire set of videos after what I thought was final editing, generally due to it being a really long presentation, and then later finding something I need to change.
If I can view it at a much increased speed, I can make sure I didn't miss anything without having to view it in real time
Hope someone can show me how to do this
Thanks
David
Last post Reply with quote 

Re: Playback speed when viewing timeline

Offline - Moderator
Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:55 pm Post
I don'r know if it works in Premiere Elements, but in Premiere Pro the J or L keys can be pressed repeatedly to change the speed of a clip playing in the timeline.

Profile  WWW 
Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:51 pm Post
Nope J or L keys do not do anything but thanks for trying

Offline - Super Moderator
Profile  WWW 
Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:48 pm Post
That might be one of those differences between the Pro and Elements versions ....

Offline - Moderator
Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:13 pm Post
Hmmmm...
Well, in lieu of the above, you could save your project under a different name and in the copy project select the entire project in the timeline, right-click, Time Stretch, 200%. Then you can watch it at twice speed. Depending on your hardware you might have to render it first. I supposed technically you wouldn't have to do this in a separate project - you could do it in your original project and then just put the settings back when finished. But if something gets really messed up you would at least have the original saved separately.

Offline - Moderator
Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:57 pm Post
Nope J or L keys do not do anything but thanks for trying

Those are the "shuttle" keyboard shortcuts and they have been around for a long time in both Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro. They should work. I'd be surprised if they didn't work in Pre 13. They work in Pre 14.

There are actually three associated shortcuts. Shuttle left ("J"), stop ("K"), and shuttle right ("L"). On the keyboard they are next to each other with stop ("K") in the middle.

Please try this test. Open the project and press play. While the video is playing in the monitor, press K. Did the video stop playing? If it did, press L. Did the video start playing again? If it starting playing again, press L two more times while the video is playing. Did the video speed up?

Please let us know what happened. Thanks!

Profile  WWW 
Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:29 am Post
I did as you requested and tried pressing K while the project was playing. nothing happens, it just keeps playing tried a few times as well as pressing L
neither letter on my keyboard has any effect while the project is playing.
David

Offline - Moderator
Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:37 am Post
Thanks, David.

One last thing. I'd like you to check the keyboard shortcuts to see if the commands exist but are unassigned.

Edit > Keyboard Customization. In the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog box, choose "application" from the pop-up menu option. Scroll down the list of commands and see if you see entries for Shuttle.

Attachment
shortcuts.JPG

That image is a capture of the dialog from an earlier version of Elements than yours. Your dialog may look different. If the entries are there but unassigned, you just need to add a shortcut key for the command. If it's not there, it looks like the function has been removed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Offline - Super Moderator
Profile  WWW 
Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:00 am Post
They still work. Do not play the timeline just select it, then press the L key and it will start playing, hold the L key to make it play faster. J will do the same thing in reverse and K will stop. There is also a Slow Shuttle Shift+J and Shift+L

Thanks Bob, forgot all about the shuttle since they removed it from the User Interface :oops:

Offline - Moderator
Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:06 am Post
Well that beats the heck out of my workaround!
Top Reply with quote 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]
Previous topic | Next topic