They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Perfusion of arrow key shortcuts

"The Fastest Video Editing Software for Enthusiasts"

Perfusion of arrow key shortcuts

Postby mikecox » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:41 pm

I have been frustrated by the arrow key combinations; with Clip/Movie, Ctrl/Shift/Alt, Pgup/Pgdown and Home/End modifiers :ha:

I've studied the Hotkeys and run trial and error tests in order to sort them all out; and remember them.

These keys have been of special interest to me because of the way the "Seek by" option work in the preview window; they change, and I haven't gotten a handle on when or why. So I have decided on using the arrow keys; which change depending on whether your in clip or movie mode. I expect the "Seek by" do the same; but I have tested that theory.

I came up with the cheat sheet. The thing that puzzles me is that there seem to be a lot of arrow combination that have to assigned functions.

I would appreciate knowing if these are correct or if I should modify some of them; and if, in fact, some have no assigned functions. I'm thinking I could assign some shortcuts to them; if that's the case.

2 questions came out of all this:

1. What is the difference between cut and delete. If I delete a clip from the timeline it is removed and gone. What happens to is when I simply cut it?
2. In ref to Alt rt/lt arrow; what is an Object; vs a clip?

I just notice the typo in Alt Up/Down

Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Perfusion of arrow key shortcuts

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:49 am

I haven't test driven these myself, Mike, so it might be worth your double-checking my answers, but I'd assume:

1. Deleting a clip erases it from your timeline. Cutting it removes it from the timeline and saves it to your Clipboard so that you can paste it in another location.

2. Objects are most likely the non-clip elements in your movie: Particle effects, for instance -- or possibly even the individual elements in these effects.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Perfusion of arrow key shortcuts

Postby mikecox » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:19 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:
1. Deleting a clip erases it from your timeline. Cutting it removes it from the timeline and saves it to your Clipboard so that you can paste it in another location.
Ok, that makes sense.

2. Objects are most likely the non-clip elements in your movie: Particle effects, for instance -- or possibly even the individual elements in these effects.
I kind of thought it was something along those lines.

Thanks

I'm writing the script for the next segment of the Cruise video and thinking I will do it in PD this time; now that I have gotten the navigation issues sorted out.
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PowerDirector Series