They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to color grade your GoPro footage

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

How to color grade your GoPro footage

Postby sidd finch » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:15 pm

As much as I love the camera Color grading has been more difficult than I would like. I stumbled across this and thought it might be helpful. It if for Adobe CS users.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32heS6TMLnk[/youtube]

https://www.groundcontrolcolor.com/gopro-lut

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: How to color grade your GoPro footage

Postby momoffduty » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:44 pm

Too bad Lumetri is not in PrPro CS6. :( There are lots of LUTs for free available. My little Sony shoots S-Log 2 but with out the Lumetri plug in I won't be shooting in that mode.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:52 pm

Too bad Lumetri is not in PrPro CS6. :(

You are in luck. Red Giant, as part of its Magic Bullet Suite, makes a utility/effect called LUT Buddy that can apply 3dl type luts that is compatible with PrPro CS6 (and After Effects CS6) and up. The best part is that it's FREE. :-D You can apply LUT Buddy multiple times so you can apply, for example, an s-log2 to rec709 lut and then apply a rec709 lut to get a creative look.

You can get it here: http://www.redgiant.com/products/magic- ... lut-buddy/
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:59 pm

Bob, I have the Magic Bullet Quick Looks and not the suite. Looks like I have to buy the suite.

What do you think about the free software DaVinci Resolve 12?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... nciresolve
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:45 am

I haven't tried DaVinci Resolve, but DaVinci is well known and highly regarded in cinema production especially in the area of grading/color correction. The free version is limited compared to the studio version, but I would expect that it would be very usable in our environment. The price is certainly right. I don't have a clue how steep the learning curve is though.

I have the Adobe Production Suite CS6 which includes Adobe Speed Grade CS6. Speed Grade CS6 uses the Lumetri Deep Color Engine.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:42 am

Thanks for the info Bob. I may try out the DaVinci Resolve sometime. I've thought a lot about S-Log 2 and did some research awhile back. My conclusion is that for my videos are travel and family stuff. It is run and gun which I asked myself if I want to add yet more decisions on what settings etc. in the moment. Chasing after a 2 yo & 6 yo doesn't give you much time to adjust many settings. Plus, when it is 90+ out in Mexico it is hard to think! :sunny:

I may try out the S-Log 2 and DaVinci for maybe a nature video later.

I tested the 4K on the Sony in Standard and the quality looks very good. Maybe a touch of MBQL to boost contrast. However, it needs lots of light to shoot the 4K due to noise. And I really like the 1080p 120/fps. option. Next trip I think I will go with that setting.

I love the Nik collection and wish they made it for video. I did run some time-lapse photos thru a PS action I created. It took 1 hour to process 300 photos. I saw a video on Vimeo that used Nik to color grade. He sent the video files as images and ran thru Nik. It was a 3 minute video and he did say it took him a very long time.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:41 am

I did run some time-lapse photos thru a PS action I created. It took 1 hour to process 300 photos.

I wonder if Adobe Light Room would do a better job.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:26 pm

sidd finch wrote:
I did run some time-lapse photos thru a PS action I created. It took 1 hour to process 300 photos.

I wonder if Adobe Light Room would do a better job.

Sidd

I don't have Light Room, but it is very similar to Adobe Camera Raw which I use first before going to PS. I love the Nik collection. You can save your recipes, but the masks do not save. Same thing with the PS actions the masks do not save.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Chris B » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Bob wrote:I haven't tried DaVinci Resolve, but DaVinci is well known and highly regarded in cinema production especially in the area of grading/color correction. The free version is limited compared to the studio version, but I would expect that it would be very usable in our environment. The price is certainly right. I don't have a clue how steep the learning curve is though.

I have it installed and played with it briefly. I did dive straight in and not read very much stuff - but (coming from Vegas) found the user interface quite hard going. Apparently there's stabilisation and the like built in - but I couldn't find it by poking about for a bit. It also has some fairly serious system requirements (16GB Ram, High end graphics cards and multiple CPU cores - 6 or more - high speed storage) Having said that I ran it on 8GB of RAM and Windows 7 home and it was OK initially. I'm pretty sure a large project would have brought the machine to it's knees fairly quickly. It used ALL my RAM. :-8
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Return to GoPro Cameras