They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Transcoding error

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Transcoding error

Postby Simon Silverstein » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:27 pm

As part of my drive-clearing effort, I decided to burn my unfinished project to DVD and restart copied project on another computer. So I went to Publish and Share, chose DISK, and a box came up telling me project doesn't have menus, do I want to burn with no menus, yes I did want to burn.
Next: Choose Location Setting Burn to Disk Box came up. I chose DVD with preset Widescreen Dolby DVD, and check "fit to space." The program then brought up the horizontal transcoding box. It went along a while then froze at 41% , saying there was a Transcoding Error.
So I am open to suggestions as to how to get my project onto a DVD. It is just a tad over 1 hour long.
Simon Silverstein

Re: Transcoding error

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:11 pm

There are so many possible causes, Simon.

Have you tried re-running the process? Does it fail again at exactly the same spot? If so, that's an indication that there's an issue on your timeline -- about 40% of the way through your movie. Do you have a spot on your timeline in which there is audio and no video?

Do you have a stop marker at the end of your movie?

What processor do you have and with how much RAM? How much free, clean, defragmented space is on your hard drive?

How long is your movie? What format and resolution is the video that makes up your movie?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Simon Silverstein » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Steve, I tried burning the project a number of times, with varying % of completion (19, 41, 71). Failure!

Next I did SAVE AS of the Project to an external HD I have, and I gave it a new name. I then went through the burn procedure again. This time it completed and burned a DVD. I don't think its lack of memory (32mb ram) or wimp processor (i7) that caused the failure, but it could have something to do with the fact the HD was filled up, as you suggested as a possibility. Also, the Project is a tad over one hour long.

So now my plan now is to delete most of the original PRE files on the pc HD and most of the Project source material, to make space on that drive, then create a new project from the DVD I created And then on the new project to complete the whole project, which is mostly adding narration and a music track. Will this work after I add the DVD material to the new project?
Simon Silverstein

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:09 pm

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want to create a new project from the DVD you created. But it's worth a try.

Although you'll probably need to clear off 60-80 gigs of free space and then defragment in order to have plenty of room to transcode to your C drive.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Simon Silverstein » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:25 pm

Steve: Re DVD, I mean that I would like to import the project DVD I made into a new PRE project. Then I would like to use that new project to continue editing, mostly adding narration and music. When done, I would then burn the final cut. If I could do that, then I could delete all the space-consuming files on my HD, making it viable again.
Thanks so much to you and other respondents for your guidance.
Simon Silverstein

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:08 pm

That should work, Simon.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 12