They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

'save' icon and closing the project

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

'save' icon and closing the project

Postby Lovelila » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:56 am

1. Can you explain the purpose of the save file icon above the monitor panel? When I click it to save my project, it saves it as a pdf file. When I try to open the pdf file, it opens in adobe reader which can't read it. How does the save icon work then? Is there a way to import the project back into premiere elements after clicking the 'save' icon? Can it 'save' the project in a different file format?

2. Also, how do I close a project (after publishing and sharing it) without closing premiere elements? When I go to file/exit, the whole program closes. How do I just close the project I am working on?
Lovelila
New User
New User

Re: 'save' icon and closing the project

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Lovelila, are you talking about Premiere Elements? If so, clicking the Save button above the Monitor will most certainly save your project as a .prel project file.

To close a project without closing the program, go to the File menu and select either Open (to open another project) or New (to clear your project and start a new one).
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Lovelila » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:55 pm

Steve,
Yes I'm talking about premiere elements.
When it saves the.prl file it is a pdf file. How can I open that file in premiere elements? It doesn't recognize it when I try to do that. I get an error message as follows: 'This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed'.
Lovelila
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:00 pm

I'm not sure what to tell you, Lila. I'm not able to reproduce it let alone troubleshoot it.

Are you in Expert view, on the regular timeline?

Is anyone else seeing this happen?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:46 pm

Are you referring to the Save in the upper right corner of the screen capture below?

Save File.JPG

The only file type which will be saved using that Save button will be a .prel, which is a Premiere Elements project file. It sounds like you may be looking in the wrong location for the project file and then opening a .pdf file. You can find out where your .prel project file is being saved by going to File > Save As... and looking at the dialog box to see the present file save location. See below:

Save As.JPG

In this example the location is in a folder called Premiere Elements 11 Projects on my laptop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Lovelila » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks to both of you for answering me so fast. I really appreciate the trouble you go to in researching my questions and answers. I think the problem might be my computer's speed. It takes a little while for premiere elements to do it's thing. The test file that I saved is an adobe acrobat/.prel file and it seemed to open fine today.
Lovelila
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 12