They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Backup & Restore

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Backup & Restore

Postby kenskopp » Fri May 08, 2015 7:27 am

Hi Steve,

I have a question about backing up and restoring files. I had to do a system restore. When I went to do a restore of my catalogs, I noticed I had option to restore to original location or a new location. On my second internal drive I have my photo and video libraries. On that drive I also have 5 files duplicating my five catalogs. In each of those files there are 4 folders named "breeze data", caxmpfiles" 'synwcdb"' and "waldodata". When I scrolled down there also was "catalog". Being confused, when I did a restore, I choose "new location" and picked the folder named "family" to restore those photos. After the catalog was loaded, I checked the stand alone family folder and all my photo folders were in it along with the folders I indicated above. I have 4 more catalogs to restore. I assume I should use "original" location?

When you do a backup where is 'original" location? What is the folder I found with the strangely named folders above. I guess that Adobe has so many options, it is not prudent to make a choice without knowing what will happen. Thank you for your advise about secondary internal drives. It was great not to loose everything then I had to restore my "c" drive.

Ken Skopp
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Backup & Restore

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 08, 2015 7:38 am

Just to be clear, Ken, when you talk about backup and restore, you're talking about Windows backup and restore, right? Not Premiere Elements' Archive feature. Not a third-party backup program. But Windows 7 backup and restore. Right?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Fri May 08, 2015 8:36 am

Hi Steve, I am talking about the backup-restore in PSE12. I tried to restore another catalog to original location but PSE12 wants me to restore to new location. My photo and video MS libraries are on my "E" internal drive. Again I have those five folders with the names of my 5 catalogs on my "E" drive. I am confused. Do I create a new folder with catalog name on it to restore to? Or do I do like I did for my "family" catalog as indicated above. My "family catalog is restored in PSE12. As you can see I am a little confused.

Ken
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 08, 2015 9:11 am

So we're talking about the Backup Catalog tool in the Organizer? (I don't know that Photoshop Elements has its own backup tool.)

If that's the case, I'm not expert but I'd assume the tool will copy your catalog of media to a new location (Your E drive?) and then, when you want to recover, it will restore it to a new location. I assume it will also restore the directories that your original files were backed up from.

Is that what you're trying to do?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Fri May 08, 2015 9:42 am

Yes, I am using restore catalog option in the Organizer. I restored "family" catalog to a new location. The location was on my "E" drive in the folder named "Family" with the oddly named folders. In that folder all my photo and video folders were duplicated. Since Restore option wants me to pick a new location for my other catalogs , should I just make up a new folder on my "E" drive with the catalog name? Currently on my "e" drive are five folders with the names of my five catalogs with the odd named folders inside. What are those folders?

Ken
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 08, 2015 9:47 am

That is a good question, Ken!

I'm sorry that I've no experience with using the backup catalog tool in the Organizer. Maybe someone who has used it will chime in with some good wisdom.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 12