They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Adobe Disc Burn

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Adobe Disc Burn

Postby kenskopp » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:02 pm

I am posting this to vent my frustration with Adobe for the lousy "Burn to Disc or Folder" programing. I have concluded that I can not make a project longer than one hour on the time line. Whenever I go beyond that the burn does not completed. I do everything Steve recommends. My complaint is that when you start a burn and it says "4.25 gb" the software does not let you know if burn will fail. By trial and error I have learned this truth. Steve have you ever passed on to Adobe this frustrating error in PRE12. Has anyone else suffered through the agony of time wasted attempting to burn to a DVD or folder and it does not complete the burn?

Thanks Steve for all your support and guidance. Muvipix community keeps me sane.
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Adobe Disc Burn

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:17 pm

I've never experienced that frustration, Ken, despite burning as much as 1:15 on a disc with version 12. So it could be a system-unique issue or perhaps related to your source video. What is your source video and what are your project settings (as listed under the program's Edit menu)?

Did you say you get the same result if you try to burn to a 4.7 gig folder rather than directly to disc?

If you'd to Dropbox me an MPEG of your timeline and project (.prel) file, I'll be glad to give it a go on my machine and see if I get different results, Ken. Just output your movie using Publish & Share/Computer/MPEG using the NTSC DVD preset.

Glad to hear Muvipix keeps you sane, Ken! Me too.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:57 pm

When you share to DVD, what are your quality settings. Did you check "Fit contents to available space"?

4.25GB is too big to fit on a 4.7GB disc. Yeah, it sounds like it would. But, 4.7GB is unformatted capacity in decimal. After you format it and add the file system, you'll only have about 4.1GB binary and there will be some additional variable losses when the files are written to the disc. You'll need to lower the bitrate (quality) to make it fit.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:32 pm

BurnDVD.jpg

Yes, as Bob says above :) You can lower the "Quality" (2) without actually lowering the Quality of the video. Quality in this case is really bit rate and bit rate can be a lot lower without effecting the actual quality of the video. Using either "Fit to available space" (1) or Lowering the Quality (2), to even 1/2 way, should solve the problem without losing any actual video quality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi Steve, I have burned my project to a folder by deleting video clips till timeline showed 59.30. On "Burn to Folder" space required was 3.71GB. IMGburn said that video_ts was 3.1GB. When I added video clips back to project Timeline increased to 1.08.03. and Space Required to Burn was 4.37gb. I did as you requested and did a burn computer/mpeg-ntscdvd of full project. I am not sure what you mean by dropping it to you. I tried to add it to this post by adding as attachment and screen turned white. I had to back out and retype this post. Please advise how to get mpeg to you. I believe I understand what you, Chuck and Bob are describing. My complaint is with Adobe for not having software tell when project is to large to burn before the burn is started. I have always used box checked "Fit Content to available space Space"

Await further instructions. Ken
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:46 pm

Fit Contents to Available Space usually does a good job. It can be fooled though. The nature of mpeg video compression is that the amount of compression is variable and depends on the nature of the scenes you are recording. Scenes with a lot of change in the visual content compress less than those with little or no change. You can't know precisely how much a video will compress until you actually compress it. I would expect that the program is making an estimate based on typical content. The type of DVD also has an effect -- DVD-R isn't exactly the same as DVD+R. The quality of the DVD disc itself also matters. It gets complicated.

I don't know how much control Adobe has over the DVD create and burn process. Like most vendors, Adobe doesn't write the code to create the DVD structures and burn the DVD. They use commercial libraries produced by another vendor. The versions of Premiere Elements I've owned use the libraries produced by Sonic.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:27 pm

I'm still waiting for Encore Elements :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:29 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:I'm still waiting for Encore Elements :)

Not likely. Encore is not part of CC. You have to download CS6 to get Encore as it's been shelved by Adobe.
https://helpx.adobe.com/encore/kb/encor ... ed-cc.html

According to a FAQ section on Adobe.com, “The trend in the video and broadcast industry is moving away from physical media distribution. The future is in cloud and streaming content. Therefore we are focusing more on products that deliver to streaming services. For example, Adobe Media Encoder and Adobe Premiere Pro CC include a new feature allowing users to create iPad-ready video with QuickTime chapter markers. The Encore CS6 version will be the final release of this product.”

from here:
http://news.doddleme.com/blogs/post-pro ... d-of-life/
Peru

Postby kenskopp » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:56 pm

Hi Steve,
I am using Verbatim DVD-R disc. mpeg file I created is 3.5 GB.

Ken
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:42 pm

Thanks for the link Peru, I didn't even realize that Encore wasn't installed anymore. Just finished installing CS6 and Encore was installed with it :)

Adobe is either ahead of the pack, trying to drag everyone into the age of no physical media, or crazy. Personally I think it is the last two.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:08 am

Virtually every professional DVD/BluRay app has been discontinued, Chuck. Even the venerable DVD Architect is considered "done", with no future versions planned.

Welcome to the age of iTunes and Amazon downloads.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:08 pm

I haven't burned a disc is a long time. Export all of my movies to MP4 onto an external drive that I connect to my TV. But they are still using DVDs and Blu Ray discs for weddings and movies, people still use DVD players and Blu Ray players. Here they go trying to force everyone into the future again :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 12