They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Saving clips as AVI

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Saving clips as AVI

Postby mikecox » Tue May 06, 2014 4:36 pm

I like to work on "scenes". Instead of creating a very long, and complicated, collection of clips on my timeline I like to collect just the media I want for a particular scene, edit it down until it is tight, then save it as an AVI file. When I all my scenes finished I add back to my timeline and edit them together; and make any unforeseen adjustments to the scenes.

I find that when I do this the editing process doesn't bog down; due to a huge number of individual clips on my timeline. Also I don't get lost in my timeline so often.

My question is; should I save them as AVI files or in another format? Does AVI change them in some negative way that would make it better for me to not use the AVI format for re-editing them?
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Saving clips as AVI

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 06, 2014 8:49 pm

It depends on what you plan to do with your finished project, Mike.

If you're planning to output a standard definition finished file or a DVD, then DV-AVIs make sense as your segment file format. But if you're working on video that you want to save as a high-def or BluRay video, then you'll want to output as AVCHD (with the 1920x1080 M2T preset).
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Wed May 07, 2014 12:29 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:It depends on what you plan to do with your finished project, Mike.

If you're planning to output a standard definition finished file or a DVD, then DV-AVIs make sense as your segment file format. .

Great; I used to get a little confused between AVI and DV-AVI; but it appears that they are one and the same.

But if you're working on video that you want to save as a high-def or BluRay video, then you'll want to output as AVCHD (with the 1920x1080 M2T preset)
I'm mostly editing MOV clips from my Canon 60D, but I kept my old Canon Powershot A630; that produces AVI formatted video, so I often find myself with two video formats on the same project.

So, because I'm not quite sure about HD; with these two formats, I am; for time time being, saving video in standard definition.

btw I need t clear out some of the PrE files in my project folders; but can't figure out how to delete a "Project" and all it's backups and associated folders?

The problem is I'm confused by the filing system. There' are layouts folders, log and prel files and an Adobe Premiere Elements auto-saved folder that contains prel, and a Layouts folder and yet another Adobe Premiere Elements auto-saved copy folder; with more prel files.

I just created a new folder and saved my project to it; just to see what got created in the process, but all I found in it was the prel file; I expected to see a log file and layouts and auto-saved folders.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed May 07, 2014 1:51 pm

I used to get a little confused between AVI and DV-AVI; but it appears that they are one and the same.

Almost. It's like the difference between bread and Whole Wheat bread. Bread is generic, there are many kinds of bread available. Whole Wheat is a specific kind of bread. Likewise, AVI by itself is generic. It's just a reference to the file format and does not imply any specific codec. Many different codecs can be used within an AVI file. DV-AVI is specific and refers to the use of the DV codec within an AVI file. DV-AVI is well suited to editing standard definition video.
Bob

Postby mikecox » Thu May 08, 2014 1:12 pm

Bob wrote:
I used to get a little confused between AVI and DV-AVI; but it appears that they are one and the same.

Almost. It's like the difference between bread and Whole Wheat bread. Bread is generic, there are many kinds of bread available. Whole Wheat is a specific kind of bread. Likewise, AVI by itself is generic. It's just a reference to the file format and does not imply any specific codec. Many different codecs can be used within an AVI file. DV-AVI is specific and refers to the use of the DV codec within an AVI file. DV-AVI is well suited to editing standard definition video.
Thanks for clarifying the for me. I will make sure to be specific when I output my project "scenes"
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu May 08, 2014 8:50 pm

> I need t clear out some of the PrE files in my project folders; but can't figure out how to delete a "Project" and all it's backups and associated folders?

One of the things I recommend in my books is that, whenever you create a new project, you also create a new directory folder to save your project file in. That way, when you're ready to get rid of the .prel and all of its backup files, it's as simple as just getting rid of that folder.

Otherwise, it gets a bit complicated, tracking down all of the project's rendered, backup, etc. files.

Although they're also small files -- so it may not be necessary to get rid of them all unless you're really crunched for space.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Fri May 09, 2014 1:35 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:> I need t clear out some of the PrE files in my project folders; but can't figure out how to delete a "Project" and all it's backups and associated folders?

One of the things I recommend in my books is that, whenever you create a new project, you also create a new directory folder to save your project file in. That way, when you're ready to get rid of the .prel and all of its backup files, it's as simple as just getting rid of that folder.

Otherwise, it gets a bit complicated, tracking down all of the project's rendered, backup, etc. files.

Although they're also small files -- so it may not be necessary to get rid of them all unless you're really crunched for space.

I hear ya; I usually do create a new folder, but I was just trying to clean up some stragglers; and thought maybe there was a process. No problem.

I've finally watched all the PD12 videos; great introduction to the program. Thanks
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 09, 2014 5:01 pm

I'll be interested in hearing what you think of PowerDirector, once you've got your feet wet with the program, Mike.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Fri May 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'll be interested in hearing what you think of PowerDirector, once you've got your feet wet with the program, Mike.
I'll be sure and let you know. I expect I will start working with it a lot when I send my desktop in for upgrading, since I have it installed on my laptop. One thing I don't like about it is it's upside down stack; what were they thinking??
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 12