They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AVCHD to QuickTime file (Field Order)

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

AVCHD to QuickTime file (Field Order)

Postby Di Hansen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:31 am

Working with AVCHD video input, saving to HQ QuickTime file. Do I need to select Progressive in the Field Order Option in Advanced?

Yesterday, I left the Field Order at its default setting (Lower, if I remember correctly) and my file exhibited interlacing-like symptoms (striations). Please advise. Thanks!
Di Hansen

Re: AVCHD to QuickTime file (Field Order)

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:29 am

If this is an MOV file, sometimes Premiere Elements has trouble identifying the specs of MOVs and you have to help it find its way.

Do you know the specs of the video, Di? Is is 1920x1080p60?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:59 am

Check the properties of your AVCHD footage. It sounds like your source AVCHD is interlaced. Interlaced AVCHD field order is upper field first. Check your footage and project properties to ensure that they match. Also check the properties that you have set for output. Quicktime is a container format and can contain many different codecs. What codec did you select for your output mov file? Is the field order for that upper field first or lower field first. If your field order doesn't match somewhere, the combing you get from interlaced footage will be exaggerated.

If the field orders match everywhere and combing is still objectionable, you can try outputting to progressive. Alternately, you can also set the clips field options on the timeline to Always Deinterlace.
Bob

Postby Di Hansen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:If this is an MOV file, sometimes Premiere Elements has trouble identifying the specs of MOVs and you have to help it find its way.

Do you know the specs of the video, Di? Is is 1920x1080p60?

Specs of video: 1920x1080 30fps progressive* (*Recorded as 60i)
Di Hansen

Postby Di Hansen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:42 pm

Bob wrote:Check the properties of your AVCHD footage. It sounds like your source AVCHD is interlaced. Interlaced AVCHD field order is upper field first. Check your footage and project properties to ensure that they match. Also check the properties that you have set for output. Quicktime is a container format and can contain many different codecs. What codec did you select for your output mov file? Is the field order for that upper field first or lower field first. If your field order doesn't match somewhere, the combing you get from interlaced footage will be exaggerated.

If the field orders match everywhere and combing is still objectionable, you can try outputting to progressive. Alternately, you can also set the clips field options on the timeline to Always Deinterlace.

Footage is shot 30fps, progressive* (Recorded as 60i)
Codec: HD 1080i 29.97, H.264
Field order: Upper First

I just saved the file again - same codec, upper first at 100% quality (instead of 90%) and the quality is much improved. I need to set the fundamentals of this file conversion in my head. I question it every time I perform this operation! Knowing they need to match will be my guideline + any other suggestions you make.
Di Hansen

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:31 pm

I'm not sure video can be both 60i and 30p, Di. It's got to be one or the other. They're kind of mutually exclusive. Likewise 30 fps progressive doesn't have a field order -- because it's not interlaced.

That said, what are your Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

Until you get the video specs and the project settings in alignment, your output is always going to be a bit of a compromise, no matter what output settings you select.

If you open your MOV in G Spot or Media Info, what does it show for its frame rate?
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Di Hansen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:13 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm not sure video can be both 60i and 30p, Di. It's got to be one or the other. They're kind of mutually exclusive. Likewise 30 fps progressive doesn't have a field order -- because it's not interlaced.

That said, what are your Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

Until you get the video specs and the project settings in alignment, your output is always going to be a bit of a compromise, no matter what output settings you select.

If you open your MOV in G Spot or Media Info, what does it show for its frame rate?
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Re: Project Settings
Editing Mode: HD 1080i
Timebase: 29.97 frames/second
Frame Size: 1920 horizontal 1080 vertical
Pixel Aspect Ratio Square Pixels (1.0)
Fields: Upper Field First
Display Format: 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode

Re: 60i vs 30fps
I follow what you are stating re: interlaced vs. progressive. The manual from my Canon Vixia HFG10 is messing with my head. I have my video camera set to PF30. Read the description including the asterisk. What does this mean? See attached file.
hfg10-im2-n-c-en.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Di Hansen

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:35 pm

Ah, so that's 30p -- or, in shorthand, a 1080p30 file.

Start up a new Premiere Elements project then and, on the New Project panel, click Settings and selecting the project preset for DSRL/1080p30. That should match your video specs -- and whatever you Publish & Share from it should look terrific (or the best possible)!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Di Hansen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:01 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Ah, so that's 30p -- or, in shorthand, a 1080p30 file.

Start up a new Premiere Elements project then and, on the New Project panel, click Settings and selecting the project preset for DSRL/1080p30. That should match your video specs -- and whatever you Publish & Share from it should look terrific (or the best possible)!

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help!
Di Hansen

Return to PRE Version 12