They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Rendering Lost After Save and Reopen

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Rendering Lost After Save and Reopen

Postby Simon Silverstein » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:22 pm

I have a 40 minute project in one project timeline. I work on different parts, little by little. I always render the project both during and at the end of each work session. Then I save the rendered project, and close it. When I reopen this same project, even if it's a few minutes later, much of the previously rendered timeline now shows that it is not rendered. Is there any way to work around this glitch?
Simon Silverstein

Re: Rendering Lost After Save and Reopen

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:42 pm

I thought this issue was resolved in version 12 -- at least on Windows 7/8 with the latest version of Quicktime installed.

What operating system are you working on and which version of Quicktime are you using.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Simon Silverstein » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:12 pm

I am running Win 7 OS on a new Micro Express desktop with an i7 processor an plenty of RAM. I just tried doing a search for Quicktime, but the only thing that comes up is a few Quicktime video clips I have, that run okay in Windows Media player. So could it be that I have an MS media program similar to Quicktime, but not Quicktime itself? I never downloaded anything called Quicktime; just assumed it was included in the programs. If this is the case, what next?
Simon Silverstein

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:19 am

AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 am

Yep. Quicktime is one of the program requirements.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Simon Silverstein » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:18 pm

I did go to Adobe and I have Quicktime 7.7.5 installed on my computer. But when I render, save close and reopen, the same thing happens--the rendering is lost.
Simon Silverstein

Postby Simon Silverstein » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:40 pm

I also went to Help>Updates and got some updates from Adobe. But that didn't help either
Simon Silverstein

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:02 pm

As I say, Simon, I thought this was fixed in version 12. It was for me -- both on my Windows 7 and my Windows 8 computers. So I'm not sure why some people are still experiencing it.

But one of the elements that fixed it was the having the latest version of Quicktime. Or at least the version that was current last fall. So it's quite possible that Apple broke it again when they created a newer version of Quicktime (which isn't as uncommon as you'd think).

Does anyone on the forum know how Simon can get his hands on last fall's version Quicktime to see if that resolves his problem?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Simon Silverstein » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:05 pm

Steve, thanks so much again for attempting to resolve this issue. I've come to one (dorky) solution, which is to go to Sharing and copy the rendered file to a file on my pc. For my 40 minute project, this took one hour, and the project timeline was one humongous unit, which made it cumbersome for further editing, as I'd have to chop it up into sections where I wanted to do further editing. But the whole timeline was at least rendered with no yellow line above it. However, I haven't as yet seen if further editing and need to render would cause the same "Save>Close>Open)...need to re-render" problem. Will report back with the results
Simon Silverstein

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:09 pm

The current version of QuickTime is 7.7.5, which was released in Feb of this year. Version 7.7.4 was released in May 2013, so that would be the one to try if you're so inclined. Here's a link to it:

http://www.oldapps.com/quicktime_player ... 1C42D58FD4
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks, Dave!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Simon Silverstein » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks, Dave, for finding the link. I uninstalled the newer version of Quicktime and installed the version from the link you provided. Then I opened my project, rendered it, closed it, opened it--and the yellow lines returned. (Grrrrr) I guess I'll just have to get used to working with a partially rendered timeline. The clips usually seem to play decently in this condition--but not always.

The idea I had of sharing the project in my pc did not seem suitable. True, the project was nicely rendered in its new format. But, first of all, it took almost an hour to render. Then the final result had to be loaded into a new project as media. Last, it was impossible to see anything on the monolithic timeline, which would need to be chopped up to work with properly, but blindly.

Unless there is yet somebody out there with a solution to this problem, all I can do is create my projects with many clips unrendered, then do a final render when I am ready either to copy it to my pc or burn it onto a disk. I am quite amazed, given the time Adobe had to address this problem, that it has been randomly solved only for certain users. Guess I'm not one of them.
Simon Silverstein

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:12 am

The clips usually seem to play decently in this condition--but not always.

To the extent that the playback is acceptable you can ignore the rendering. That rendering is for preview to improve playback performance while editing. Also, you don't need to "render" before you export to your final format on the pc or burn to disk. The video will be rendered and encoded to the selected output format as part of the standard export process.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:27 pm

Thank you for that info, Bob!!! I'd wondered about that before.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Simon Silverstein » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:13 pm

Since downloading Quicktime, I find now that 3/4 of my rendered files remain rendered after reopening the project. After a little experimenting, I find that if one of the unrendered areas becomes impossible to work with, I move the Timeline selection tabs to either side of that specific area I am working on, and then render that area only, which saves a lot of time. This is the most viable solution I have come up to deal with this annoying glitch.
Simon Silverstein

Next

Return to PRE Version 12