They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Changing DVD templates

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Changing DVD templates

Postby robbie410 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:19 am

Good day, I am trying to change an existing Theme Template. I would like to view a tutorial "Customizing a DVD Template, Step by Step" with no luck. I get a message up saying, Plug In, is required but so far have Failed to open the tutorial or download the tutorial. Help requested. Maybe the tutorial has been changed to another type or different location
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Changing DVD templates

Postby Ron » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:27 am

Robbie410,

Just download the file and play it in your favorite Media Player.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:14 am

Actually, "Customizing A DVD Template" is in an old format that we've been phasing out here at Muvipix.

Until we replace it with a PDF version, the best step-by-step instructions are in our Muvipix Guide to Photoshop Elements/Premiere Elements.

Since you're a premium member, I'll be glad to send you an electronic copy of that section of the book. But the process has changed pretty dramatically every couple of versions, so you'll need to let me know which version of the programs you're using.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:20 am

Although Ron is also right. If you download the article and unzip it, the .exe file will launch both the article and the reader.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:45 am

I guess that I cannot open the file sty.exe is because it is a zip file. Mac OS X does not seem to be able to open all zip files. Steve I am using book Photoshop Elements & Premier Elements 11. I have been looking at "Create a Movie Menu", page 368 to 374, but have not managed to change the background by browsing. Also have "Create Premiere Elements Movie Menu templates in Photoshop Elements", pages 164 - 176. Here I do not seem to have directory located in MAC HD/LIBRARY/APPLICATIONSUPPORT.PREMIEREELEMENTS/11.0/ONLINE/DVDTEMPLATES/ALL_LANG, having changed 11 for 12.
Is there a tutorial for working with templates other than Customizing a DVD Template, step by step?
Me again sorry
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:51 am

The Libraries/Application Support, etc., folder is definitely where these files are on a Mac for version 11, Robbie.

Double-click on the hard drive icon and your desktop and you should be able to browse to it.

The book definitely provides the most up-to-date step-by-step instructions available. It's a very challenging process, to be sure, and I only recommend it if you're pretty comfortable with Photoshop/Photoshop Elements.

Changing the background of a template is pretty easy though. In fact, you don't even need to customize a template file to do it. You can swap in a new background right in the Movie Menus/Adjustments workspace in Premiere Elements.

What kind of modification are you trying to do and with which Movie Menu?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:10 am

Hi Steve, I am in fact using Pre 12 with guidance from Muvipix Guide 2011. I have both Pre 11 and Pre12 on my Imac but can still not find folder "MAC HD/LIBRARY/APPLICATIONSUPPORT.PREMIEREELEMENTS/11.0/ONLINE/DVDTEMPLATES/ALL_LANG"

(Changing the background of a template is pretty easy though. In fact, you don't even need to customize a template file to do it. You can swap in a new background right in the Movie Menus/Adjustments workspace in Premiere Elements.) Have tried this but when I try to put in a photo to replace a highlighted part of a theme the picture section just goes GREY. I am trying to change en existing menu theme, e.g. In Loving Memory or Family Memories, to be a little more general, thus back ground needs changing rather than the flowers around and own photo within drop zone. No change to music. And so I came to look for Tutorial.

Still trying to see if it worked with video into the drop box or using other template themes. Maybe I should download one of Muvipix templates?

Regards Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Here is the Mac directory you should be browsing to.
HD/LIBRARY/APPLICATION SUPPORT/ADOBE/PREMIERE ELEMENTS/12.0/ONLINE/DVD TEMPLATES/ALL_LANG/[Category].

Sorry. The book apparently leaves off the "Adobe" sub-directory.

I'll see that it's corrected in future printings.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:36 pm

Found it and the listing of categories. This is where I will save changed template once I manage to change one.
Will try on the change again tomorrow
Robbie

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Don't forget to include the DOWNLOADED.TXT file, per the sticky note at the top of this forum (as well as in the book).

If you don't include it then, the first time you open Premiere Elements, it will erase your new template!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:00 am

Challenge accepted. Before I go too far down the line please advise on the step after what I have done so far. I have made a new folder in "Online/DVD Templates" Named folder. Within this folder I have copied the files from "In Loving Memory" renamed "Memories". So within this folder I have all the same content as the folder I am copying from.
I now plan to check size of photo for new background 800x600. Open Pre 12 and open Template, new one created. Open Photoshop with required replacement background photo and drag this photo to position on Pre 12, newly created. (Downloaded.TXT file is already in the new created folder) No further changes planned at this stage, just taking step by step to get use to changing Templates. More may come at a later stages. Do I need to change all file names to the new file name in this new folder?
How do I now save this Template for further use on other projects?
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:36 am

Once you've created this folder and added the DOWNLOADED.TXT file, it will be available for any future projects.

I'm having a little trouble keeping up with you, since sometimes you seem to be working in Photoshop Elements and sometimes you seem to be working in Premiere Elements ("Open Photoshop with required replacement background photo and drag this photo to position on Pre 12, newly created.") But I think you're on the right track.

I believe your template's name will be based on name of the folder your disc files are in. I've always changed the names of all of the files, so I don't know for sure. But, worst case, you end up with two templates with the same name. They should still work.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:41 am

Open Photoshop with required replacement background photo and drag this photo to position on Pre 12, newly created.

Steve, first the easy answer. I mentioned Photoshop Elements because I used this to check the size of the photo that I want to replace the current background with. Also I saved it as a PSD.

Now going to the new folder within DVDTEMPLATES/ALL_LANG. In this are copied files from another stock menu already in DVDTEMPLATES/ALL_LANG. I am beginning to understand that there are a lot of files, named as in you article page 165. Many of them see to refer to languages. You can see e.g.. fr_FR_IN LOVING _IN LOVING MEMORY_S_MM_OUTPUT_s_prv_sm.png, which I take it is for French. Also see all the files with "sm" ; "s" etc. Not sure whether I need to keep all the language files but have left at present. If I click en_US_IN LOVING MEMORY_S_MM_OUTPUT_s_prv_sm.png this one opens up the scene page. NOT SURE how I get the photo into this folder to be able to be picked up by the manu file, the one where I am trying to change the background.
So I will keep trying.
But I think you're on the right track
Not sure about this.

In the meantime I know that I should be able to change the background page from within Pre 12. See Chapter 30. I open up with a new theme, highlight the one that I created in DVDTEMPLATES/ALL_LANG/(self created Memories) The adjustment page opens and you can browse to get a new background photo. I select location of new photo and press choose. This photo then appears in the small window in the Adjustment page, but the only thing that happens is that the drop IN box of the Menu goes grey. No picture is inserted. I have tried PSD's and JPG's and BMP's but no different with other formats. Have checked size of photo, now 800x600. Cannot action the button of the Adjustments "Still Frame"
where should I be looking when using the PRE12 menu drop in box.
I will pursue the making of a menu when I have more time because as you said in the book and in you replies it is not easy.
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:15 pm

You can ignore the .png files in the disc template folders, Robbie. In fact, you can go ahead and delete them. They don't really have anything to do with the function of the menu template itself. They just help Premiere Elements create thumbnails for your templates.

The PSD files are the files you're going to be editing. As I show you in the book, the "sm" files are the scene menu templates and the "mm" files are the main menu templates.

I told you this wouldn't be easy! ;)
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:34 pm

(I told you this wouldn't be easy! ;)

Well I am not going to give up so quickly and will keep trying. As I want to use menu's for my current projects going along maybe I will start to like "In Loving Memory" with some script changes!!
Robbie

PS Will be back
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 12