They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Labeling DVD's

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Labeling DVD's

Postby robbie410 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:23 am

Hi,I read in your book that you should never use labels on DVD's. Really how critical is this? I need to mark my completed project and using an Avery round label is so much more professional and neater than is quick marker pen. I have always used them in the past on videos, although mostly for saved data I agreeI would like to use them for my current projects as they are completed. You mention using printable DVDs? Are these softer and will go through a printer or do you need a special printer? Your guidance would be appreciated again.
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Labeling DVD's

Postby Peru » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:55 am

robbie410 wrote:you should never use labels on DVD's. Really how critical is this?
You may or may not have problems, but if you do, you will be very sorry that you used labels. If one comes off, you can ruin the disc drive.

You mention using printable DVDs? Are these softer and will go through a printer or do you need a special printer? Your guidance would be appreciated again.
Robbie
Yes, a printer that is designed to print on DVDs and CDs is necessary. It will have a carriage to hold the disc. You also need to use special printable DVDs and CDs. The discs aren't much more expensive than regular discs.

I use an HP printer which is no longer available, but I think Epson and Canon have printers that will print on disc.
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:46 am

I use an Epson Artisan 835 printer that has a disc tray. Before I purchased I went to two office big box stores and the clerk at one said they don't carry many of those anymore because people are no longer using discs. I do find that hard to believe. If you can't find one with a disc print at the store, look online and maybe they can ship to the store for free.

This discs I use are Verbatim 16x Inkjet printable purchased online. I burn at a slower speed.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby robbie410 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks Momoffduty
Sounds good but I am not too keen to have to buy another printer just for this job. I understand how that must work but sure these printers are not a few dollars only
Thanks again
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:22 pm

momoffduty wrote: said they don't carry many of those anymore because people are no longer using discs. I do find that hard to believe.
That was Adobe's reason to discontinue Encore.

This discs I use are Verbatim 16x Inkjet printable purchased online. I burn at a slower speed.
I use Verbatim with the AZO dye or Taiyo Yuden (not the value line) 8x and burn either at 4x or 8x.

these printers are not a few dollars only
There wasn't much difference in price between the disc printer and other printers. My printer can also print on paper, as well.
Peru

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:26 pm

I never use sticky labels. I have an Epson printer with a dvd tray and use inkjet printable discs. My burner does support Lightscribe, but I do not use that capability. If your burner supports Lightscribe, you may consider using Lightscribe capable media as an alternative to printing.

Sticky labels work best on CDs. Sticky labels can cause a DVD to run out of spec causing read errors -- especially in the outer 1/3 of the disc. Thin film/foil labels work better than thicker paper labels. The failure rate of newly applied labels is low, but as they age over time, the failure rate will increase substantially. They are not a good solution for anything that needs to last. In addition, sticky labels can bubble or creep off center causing stability issues or even separate from the disc potentially damaging the reader. I can't recommend them.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 12