They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Changing orientation of photos in Timeline

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Changing orientation of photos in Timeline

Postby kenskopp » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi I am a new subscriber and have just updated to PRE12 & PSE12 from v10. When I bring photos from PSE organizer into PRE12, some of the photos need to be changed for proper orientation. I have used "applied effects" motion area to "rotate right or left" Photo changes in the monitor view but nothing changes on timeline. When I have tried to make "instant movie", some photos are sideways in movie. I am used to separate timeline and scene line in v10. I had chat with adobe and they implied I would have to change orientation in windows folders before I imported into PSE12.
I have converted all my catalogs to PSE12. All my photos have been resized 1000x750. I have HP pavilion desktop PC with windows 7 64 bit.
After importing photos from folder into PSE12, when I tried to move them to an album I get "keytag error" and photos will not go into the album. I ordered today Steve's Guide to PRE12, will get it Thursday. Thank in advance for your help.
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Changing orientation of photos in Timeline

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Rotating the photos in Applied Effects is exactly the right way to do it, Ken. I'm surprised it's not working for you.

Although sometimes the program does strange things if the photos are oversized. Have you ensured all of your photos are sized to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels?

As for the Organizer, changing the orientation in it doesn't actually change the rotation of the actual file. It just affects the way the thumbnail looks in the Organizer's media library.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:10 pm

some of the photos need to be changed for proper orientation. I have used "applied effects" motion area to "rotate right or left" Photo changes in the monitor view but nothing changes on timeline.

That's one of the differences between the sceneline and timeline mode. In the sceneline mode, the image in the sceneline would rotate along with the image in the monitor. In timeline mode, the images on the timeline don't rotate. Nothing is wrong, that's just the way it works -- the image in the monitor is the one that matters. As long as the monitor image is correct the movie will be correct.

If you are using instant movie and there is a slide with the wrong orientation, you can break apart the instant movie, find the photo on the timeline, and rotate it using the motion controls.

Don't know about the keytag error, I don't use Organizer. Are you using custom tags? Barb is our Organizer guru. Hopefully, she will see this and comment.
Bob

Postby kenskopp » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Ok Bob, How do I activate sceneline mode? PRE12 is certainly different from PRE10.
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:26 pm

Sorry, but in Premiere Elements 12, Adobe dropped the Sceneline mode and replaced it with the Quick Edit Mode. You now have Quick and Expert edit modes. Expert is the same as the prior version's Timeline mode.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:35 pm

Bob, are you saying that a selected clip on the timeline -- photo or video -- won't rotate 90 degrees if open its Applied Effects/Motion and change Rotation to 90 degrees? Or am I misunderstanding you?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:49 pm

You are misunderstanding me. The photo or video will rotate when you do that, but the thumbnails on the timeline will not update to reflect that.

Here's an example. The arrow is vertical in the original, but rotated 90° using Motion effects rotate control. The Sceneline version on the left shows the arrow rotated in the monitor and sceneline. The timeline version on the right shows the arrow rotated in the monitor, but not in the timeline. The timeline thumbnails are still vertical.

rotate.jpg

It has always worked this way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:48 pm

Never knew that!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:40 am

Hello, My problem with putting photos in an album has gone away But in Quick mode I am still having challenge with orientation of photos. The photo in monitor view changes but not in the sceneline thumbline.I did download updates for both programs from ADOBE.
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:02 pm

Glad to hear that your problem with the Organizer went away.

As for the thumbnails in the timeline, they don't update. Go by what you see in the monitor.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 12