They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pre working videos don't play on new player

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Pre working videos don't play on new player

Postby mikecox » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:11 am

I have two DVD recordings; complete with menus, that have played perfectly from day one. Last month I bought a new Blue Ray player and now neither one plays. The odd thing is that I made two other test videos and published them the same as the other two and they both play!

I have a copy of the videos, the files are:OpenDVD and VIDEO_TS. I tried burning them to another disk and they play on my computer, but not on the new player! I don't want to have to recreate these videos; actually I don't think I could!

I think the only way to get a working copy is to get the files back into PrE so I can publish them again. Is there a way to do that; using the files from the copy I have on my HDD?
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pre working videos don't play on new player

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:15 am

Unfortunately, the problem isn't with Premiere Elements. From your description, your disc player doesn't like home-burned discs.

There are a couple of things you can do to minimize this problem: Using a high-quality disc, like Verbatim, and burning at a slower speed. And, if you're using ImgBurn to burn your discs, making sure to select the Verify option so that ImgBurn verifies your burn.

Unfortunately, not all disc players are equally adept at playing home-burned discs. (Sonys and Pioneers are notorious touchy.) And republishing your project from Premiere Elements won't change that.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:45 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Unfortunately, not all disc players are equally adept at playing home-burned discs. (Sonys and Pioneers are notorious touchy.) And republishing your project from Premiere Elements won't change that.

I have a Samsung BD-F5900.

As I indicated in my post, the test disks I made, and published, this week played perfectly; it's just the two created last year that aren't playing.

I have a copy of both disks on my HDD and I'm convinced that if I can figure out what files on those copies to "Add" to the asset collection in the editor; I could just re-publish them and have a new, working, copy.

I wouldn't believe that if the test videos I made this week had failed to work; but both of them worked perfectly, so I know the player will play DVD's I've made in PrE.

So the question is; can you take files from a copy of a published DVD, add them to the assets of a new Project, then re-publish them as a new DVD that plays like the original?
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:07 pm

You shouldn't need to re-author the dvd. You should be able to take the copy on your hard drive and reburn a disc from that. You only need the VIDEO_TS folder, the OPENDVD folder is a leftover from the dvd authoring library Premiere Elements was/is using. Try deleting the OPENDVD folder and burn a new dvd. Are you using ImgBurn to burn the dvd from the video_ts folder?

The OpenDVD folder has information that theoretically would allow you to re-edit the dvd. But, the programs that could do that seem to have vanished or had the feature removed. Open DVD appears to be a dead initiative. Microsoft has even noted that some dvd players will not recognize discs with an OpenDVD folder on it. I don't have Premiere Elements 12, would you look at the recent dvds you've burned using it and let me know if it even creates the opendvd folder anymore.
Bob

Postby mikecox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:29 am

Bob wrote:You shouldn't need to re-author the dvd. You should be able to take the copy on your hard drive and reburn a disc from that. You only need the VIDEO_TS folder, the OPENDVD folder is a leftover from the dvd authoring library Premiere Elements was/is using. Try deleting the OPENDVD folder and burn a new dvd. Are you using ImgBurn to burn the dvd from the video_ts folder?
I removed the OpenDVD but that didn't help. I think the reason the new; test, disks I made worked is because I published them in AVCHD. The two that aren't working were, I think, published in DVD format; because I wasn't sure what AVCHD was.

I was able to load the video clips, from the VIDEO_TS folder on the disk that wouldn't play, back into PrE then cut the Title; since it wasn't working. The chapter markers were all gone but my edits were there so all I had to do was add the markers, and the Title page and re-publish it in AVCHD. The resulting disk played.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:10 am

An AVCHD is a high-definition disc -- similar to a BluRay. It's a not a DVD, so you won't be able to play it on a DVD player.

But if you're happy with the results you're getting with the AVCHD disc and you don't plan to share this disc with anyone who doesn't have a BluRay disc player, it sounds like you've found a solution.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:An AVCHD is a high-definition disc -- similar to a BluRay. It's a not a DVD, so you won't be able to play it on a DVD player.

But if you're happy with the results you're getting with the AVCHD disc and you don't plan to share this disc with anyone who doesn't have a BluRay disc player, it sounds like you've found a solution.

Yes, I did some research on AVCHD last night and learned exactly what it was. I also learned that you need more memory, I had to go out and buy some Dual Layer disks yesterday because; while my project would fit on a 7GB DVD it wouldn't fit using the AVCHD format.

I'm guessing that BluRay will become the standard and that most people will get one; they are relatively cheap, as more and more movies are released on BluRay, so it' shouldn't be a problem.

I'm curious to see if PowerDirector projects, published in DVD format, will play on my new player.

I still don't understand why this is an issue; why players have trouble with home made videos or why companies make players that misbehave with home made videos, or; more to the point, why Adobe, et al, can't figure out how to avoid this problem, and publishes videos that don't misbehave on state of the art players.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:54 pm

With streaming high definition video Blu-ray peaked and is waning. That's why video stores that rent discs are dropping like flies. But as a medium for distributing HD video from person to person it's very handy and pretty inexpensive. The problem with home-burned discs isn't so much the software - it's the difference in the manufacturing process. Commercial discs aren't burned - they're pressed, making them much easier for players to read. The problems with burned discs can be multiple. The slower the burn speed the better the results, but as was previously mentioned there's a difference in the quality of discs, too. So if your burning software allows you to choose a low burn speed that's a good thing.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby mikecox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:22 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:With streaming high definition video Blu-ray peaked and is waning. That's why video stores that rent discs are dropping like flies. But as a medium for distributing HD video from person to person it's very handy and pretty inexpensive. The problem with home-burned discs isn't so much the software - it's the difference in the manufacturing process. Commercial discs aren't burned - they're pressed, making them much easier for players to read. The problems with burned discs can be multiple. The slower the burn speed the better the results, but as was previously mentioned there's a difference in the quality of discs, too. So if your burning software allows you to choose a low burn speed that's a good thing.
Thanks for sharing that gem Dave. From now on I will pay attention to the burn speed. I always thought faster was better, now I understand why that's not true. Maybe that will help with the problem I'm having with playing my published projects
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 12