They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Which Project Files to save after burning project to DVD

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Which Project Files to save after burning project to DVD

Postby robbie410 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:17 am

I have just finished and burnt project to DVD. I may want to further burn DVD's from project later - NTSC - original PAL. Which folders/ files should I save?
All folders and Files are in one overall folder with the exemption of those initially transferred to PC from Bridge capture. The order of progress was:-
1. Bridge used to capture camera video to PC - 3 segments saved in Capture folder
2. 3 individual files,.mov now on PC, individually to PRe 12 Timeline, via Organiser, for editing. Three projects
3. Each of the three PRe 12 projects saved to PC - mov files, for later use
4. All three .mov files to PRE 12, new project, to create FINAL combined project 4.
5 Final Project 4 burnt to DVD

The folder holding all saved files is quite large and although I want to use the Final PRv 12 project again, which files do I need to keep? In this folder are:-
1. PRe 12 files 1, 2, 3, Final plus log file
2. Folder Adobe Premier Elements Auto Save - nothing in
3. Folder Premier Elements Preview with Files - mov 1, 2, 3 - .PRV
4. Folder Encoded with further Folders - mov 1, 2, 3, Final .prel - nothing in any folder
5. Folder Layouts -four files 1, 2, 3, Final each 11kn. All unreadable content

Which of these folders/files can I delete only saving those that are needed to re work the FINAL project?
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Which Project Files to save after burning project to DVD

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:49 am

Do you think you'll ever want to re-edit your project again? If so, you kind of have to archive everything.

But if you're like me, and when a project is done it's done, you need only save the DVD's VIDEO_TS folder. That way you can burn off as many future copies as you'd like -- and, in a pinch, you can grab some video from the DVD files to use in another project.

Back in the days when I was working with miniDV, I kept all the raw footage around on old tapes. But since I've switched to AVCHD, I rarely save my original footage (unless I think it's really special). But that's up to you. Some people archive everything they shoot on hard drives or at an online storage site just in case.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:59 am

Well you are absolutely right, especially if I need to, and can, use some of the clips again. I am a bit of a horder. ( The files that I am trying to work on at the moment are years old) Also I might keep the original VideoGlide .mov's created with the Bridge.
One of the reasons for asking though was my son, and brother live in Ontario. If I should want to send them a DVD then it has to be in NTSC format. I know that the format is different in Canada, and for that matter where you are. However another thought would be to burn a NTSC DVD straight away and just keep that somewhere.
Great progress is being made with my projects, especially thanks to you and your teams help. I have a lot to go still, and will be looking closer at some of the Tutorials again, but I am enjoying it and knowing you are aground gives me great confidence
Now to get more buckets, to get rid of the excess rain we have had coming over from your side, before more damage is done, although we personally have been quite lucky
Have a good day
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:14 pm

Canada, like pretty much all of North America, uses the same NTSC TV format as the US, Robbie. So no problem there.

In fact, virtually all European DVD players are capable of playing both PAL and NTSC discs, so NTSC is considered the standard for home-burned DVDs worldwide.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:40 pm

Which of these folders/files can I delete only saving those that are needed to re work the FINAL project?

You certainly don't need to save all those files and folders. The preview files, for example, will be regenerated if you need them later.

One option that hasn't been mentioned is using the Project Archiver. This feature is specifically designed for automating the saving of the project file and media for storage or future processing. The media used in the project will be gathered up and saved with the project file in the location you specify. After you've verified that the archived project is valid and working, you can delete the original files and folders. If you only want to be able to edit the final combined project, you'll only need to archive that project. Otherwise, archive the sub-projects as well.

The Project Archiver will not archive the dvd or a dvd burned to folder. I would recommend creating an ISO file of the DVD if you want to retain a copy which can be used to burn future copies. You can save that in the archive folder if you wish. An ISO file is simply an exact copy of the DVD contained within a single file. You can use the free ImgBurn utility to create an ISO file from your DVD or DVD folder. Be careful and make sure you don't just click the big "start download" button on the site page -- that's not Imgburn. Select one of the mirror sites listed. Imgburn can be used later to create a new DVD from the ISO file.
Bob

Postby robbie410 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks Bob, quite a lot to think about but could possible be what I am looking for.
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Thanks Bob for the reminder about the Project Archiver. I had totally forgotten that feature and I actually need it now!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:42 pm

Bob, where do I find Project Archiver in Pre 12? No reference in Muvipix Guide to Premier Elements 11.
With regards The Burn Disk workaround. I am trying this as well. I have a folder on my desktop, which was created by Publish and Share>Disc> save to folder. This folder has the TS files plus orhers inside. Can I play this in IDVD or is in only possible to burn to DVD and then play on DVD player
Robert

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:02 pm

It's under the File menu.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:09 am

The video_ts folder you created with Premiere Elements is already in DVD format. If you have a software player, like VLC, that can play a DVD compliant folder, you can view it on your computer. Or, you can burn it to a DVD disc and play it in a DVD player.

I'm not a Mac user, but, from what I understand, iDVD is a DVD authoring program. What it does is similar to what Premiere Elements does when you share and publish to DVD. It takes a video file, usually from iMovie, lets you add DVD menus, renders all that into a DVD compliant format,and then burns the results to a DVD. iDVD is not designed to take a folder already in DVD format and burn it to disc.

If you want to burn a DVD from the video_ts folder, it's not a simple straight copy. You need an application that knows how to create the proper DVD file system on the blank disc and then copy the video_ts folder to it. On a Windows system, ImgBurn can easily do the job. But, ImgBurn is not a Mac program. If you can run Windows programs on your Mac using Boot Camp or whatever, you may still be able to use ImgBurn. Otherwise, you will need a Mac program capable of doing the job.
Bob

Postby robbie410 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:55 am

Steve found Project Archiver, thanks. Have not used it yet but will follow up in due course
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:05 am

Bob, thanks for your detailed reply to my query about burning TS folder to DVD.
Firstly I have to say that I only tried this option as it could be a precaution that I should be taking should I have difficulty in burning straight to Imac burner, as per comment inPremier Elements Guide Bookpage 402. So far I have not had a problem in burning straight to from PRE12, but projects are only 30 mins or so. Longer projects might not work so easily.
Having said that your comments and guidance were very helpful. I have VLC on my Imac and I did try it to play folder,and it did play the folder, which is good.
With regards burning a TS Folder to DVD on Imac I have been reading a little about what can and cannot be done. One of the best data came from Apple Discussions. site - discussions.apple.com/message/11852341 -which sets out that it is a problem not yet solved easily.
I did see imgburn for MAC but it was actually a direction to Isoft Video creator. There is a free trial of 30 days or otherwise purchase. Did not proceed so far as it is not an urgent aspect for me really at this stage.
I will continue to explore. Anything I find I will communicate
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 12