They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Floating active screen when playing back project

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Re: Floating active screen when playing back project

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:11 am

Thanks for posting those, Robbie. That certainly is a unique issue!

First question: What effects have you applied? I'm particularly curious if you've applied the Video Stabilizer effect.

Second, can you open one of your AVIs in G Spot or MediaInfo and post the specs it gives you for the frame size, frame rate and audio and video codec?
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:19 pm

Good day Steve, First question: What effects have you applied? I'm particularly curious if you've applied the Video Stabilizer effect.
I have taken this from the .pre file which was taken from the mov produced by the bridge. 740.6 mb.
Changes applied:
Smart Fix
Colour R90 - G 140 - B 180
Gamma +8
Contrast -20
Temp 20
Tint -70
Motion Nothing
Opacity 100
Stabilizer - Smoothing 40 Zoom 110

I know that things did not look good with this original mov to PRE. It was Jerky thus I tried fiddling around with some of the settings and this was the latest from which I progressed. Pretty sure these settings were left and used for all three segments.

"Second, can you open one of your AVIs in G Spot or MediaInfo and post the specs it gives you for the frame size, frame rate and audio and video codec?"
Looks complicated because G Spot seems to refer to Windows. I am using iMac with Apple software. Can I still try and open G Spot and get a mov file into it?

OR should I try a NEW capture via bridge with no settings set by the Bridge e.g. Sharpness, and try again and see if the Floating still happens. You will have seen that the other two comparison clips did not have this problem. They had no adjustments made to the settings when editing by PEl 12
What do you think. Not too happy about getting G spot correct. I am an amateur really! The reason for all the corrections on the file "3" from the very beginning was because of the Orange Tint problem
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:11 pm

I think we're onto something! I think you problem is related to the Stabilizer effect which was applied by your Smart Fix.

That and some sort of mismatch with your project settings.

There is no Mac version of G Spot. But MediaInfo is available for Mac at http://mediainfo-mac.en.softonic.com/mac
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Your patience is to be applauded. Thanks. Ok I take it that Mediainfo works in a similar way. Download or access Mediainfo and the drop the selected file into it to get a statement of settings. Then do I copy this report or forward it by sending itv to you or the Gallery.
Tips would be appreciated.
With regards to mis match of settings this was created by going through the settings and trying by trial and error. Trying to learn what each one does.
Robert

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:48 pm

You can paste the whole report to this forum -- but all I really need to know is what the resolution, frame rate and, especially, audio and video codecs are.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:37 am

Good morning Steve, I have used MediaInfo as requested and have attached two data sets.
Ist is the date relating to mov file created by transfer from Bridge to PC
2nd two sheets relate to the saving of the PRE12 file to mov, for further use in Final. (Reintroduced to PRE12 to join up with other parts)
If you would like any other sets of data, maybe the PRE 12 files, please let me know
Regards again
Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:07 am

A couple of things pique my curiosity.

1) Although these are .mov files, the MediaInfo report calls them MP4s. So there appears to be some combination of DV and H264 codecs at work.

2) There are two video streams? One of which is an intermediate codec -- which is probably provided for the video editing software that came bundled with your Bridge. It appears that Premiere Elements may be using that intermediate codec as your video.

Anyway, try this: Start a new Premiere Elements project and ensure that, in the preferences, Scale to Frame Size is checked. Then, when you add a sampling of your video clips to your timeline, do NOT select the Smart Fix option or apply the Video Stabilizer. Then try a test output using Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD using the YouTube SD preset and see what the results look like.

It does look like your USB Bridge is at the core of your problem. But I think we may be able to work around it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:56 am

Good morning/Afternoon,
Have tried what you requested in your last post.
Started New Project using an original capture from VCAP810Video Capture program, using their VideoGlide program. If required will send their instructions which settings to use later.
I did the following:-
Made sure "Scale to Frame Size" was checked.
Added clip to Timeline and did not use Smart Fix option or Video Stabilizer, in fact no Adjustments or Applied effects set
Out put to AVCHD using YouTube SD - result Stable picture
Looked at the project in PRE 12 - result was Stable picture
Saved as Quicktime movie on computer - result Stable picture
Saved to make DVD and burn - result Stable picture
Sounds good. Vert good
You may remember that this base video was orange, believe it or not the orange looks better now than my attempts to correct, and as objective was to save for personal moment reasons might leave it like that.
However I will try to do some adjust changes, especially Temp and Tint which you also mentioned originally.
Funny that the two other comparison projects I sent you were not affected, floating window.
I would like to say this is the close but if I do have to get back on further aspects I will. You might like to still comment on the mis match of settings that I was using
In the meantime many thanks for you perseverance in helping me.
REgards
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks for troubleshooting this, Robert. I think we're onto it.

Go back to your project and right-click on a clip or two on your timeline. Is Scale to Frame Size checked?

And try removing the Stabilizer effect from your clips and do a test output. See if those two things solve our floating frame issue.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:04 pm

Yeah, Steve things have changed. I tool a project where there was floating, then deuced the size of the project to carry out tea. I split certain areas and copied and pasted them next to each other. On one I left the settings and on the other I removed the Stabilizer effect. (Also zoom effect by the way) Yes, there was no more floating. Then I applied a small section of zoom, and the screen section beca,e bigger on that suction. Made a AVCHD and DVD and both were stable. That seems to have been the problem. Not sure how I go into stabiliser settings because when you first start a project that aspect is not available. Only when you start to render etc does the option appear, funny.
With regards Zoom not sure what that does or whether it is worth doing. Does it make the picture bigger?
I have not tried Smart Fix. Should I do a test with that to see if that has an affect?
Regards
Robert

PS we certainly are getting there :exc:
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:14 pm

Smart Fix is what is applying the Stabilizer. So, no, you don't want to use it in your movies.

Zoom is an aspect of the Stabilizer. If you don't use the Stabilizer, you don't have to worry about the zoom settings for it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:16 am

Steve, thank you for all your help and guidance. I may appear again on the "orange tint" string.
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:37 pm

That's why we're here, Robert!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:44 pm

Good day Steve, just a warning again about SmartFix. I fell into the trap, without realising before, and one that no doubt started all my problem, was of of saying YES, to the box that pops up when you bring a new video into PRe12. It is headed Smartfix, and asks whether you want to "Fix quality problems in clips? - YES or NO. This then allows you to further adjust with "Applied Effects" when the video appears on the Timeline.
To my horror having re downloaded all my video from the camera today, to start again a fresh new project with correct settings, I started to get the jerky picture even after rendering, as before. It took me a little while to work back that the Stabilizer had been activated, which I had not done from within my editing the Timeline. The stabiliser gets activated by the drop down box requesting improving quality, one click box. Just in case anyone else did not read the box carefully as I didn't.
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Yep. Smart Fix adds a stabilizer and corrects lighting in your shots.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to PRE Version 12