They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Premiere Elements 12 Activation

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Premiere Elements 12 Activation

Postby tedco » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Hello,

Having upgraded to Adobe Premiere Elements 12, I was surprised - to say the least - with the procedure for activating the software.

Can anyone explain to me, the logic in having to sign in to ones account in order to use the software ?

I can certainly understand the activation process used in previous versions of both Adobe PhotoShop Elements and Premiere Elements, but am puzzled why it is necessary to have my account open while using the software.

Further, when I sign out, the software is deactivated - makes no sense to me.

From what I understand when signing in to ones account, unless you sign out again, the account stays open indefinitely and therefore vulnerable to intrusion.

I thought Adobe would safeguard user's account - especially after their latest experience with hacking.

It is a sad world, when many business' regards every customer as a potential criminal...

Any thoughts ?

Kind Regards
tedco

Re: Premiere Elements 12 Activation

Postby Peru » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:56 pm

tedco wrote:Further, when I sign out, the software is deactivated - makes no sense to me.

Any thoughts ?

Something isn't right. It should not work like that.

I would contact Adobe using this link and choosing "Chat" after clicking the drop down box on a topic and click on "I still need help."
http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?pro ... e-elements
Peru

Postby tedco » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:16 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your reply

Sorry to say, but it is the way Adobe has implemented it.

If you click Help > Sign Out, a window pop's up where the last line specifically says: "Signing out would deactivate the following software on this machine unless you sign in again." - and Premiere Elements 12 is shown as an icon below.

Just can't understand any logic.

Kind regards
tedco

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:54 pm

For what it's worth, Adobe is expanding on a model they're using in the Creative Cloud.

You can now install Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements on an UNLIMITED number of computers. But you can only be signed in on two computers at a time (computers that are both yours).

This is a nice, easy way to move the software's activation from computer to computer without messing with actual activations, serial numbers, etc.

It came in very handy for me when I temporarily installed Premiere Elements on a computer in California in order to create a course for lynda.com. Not only could I temporarily fully activate the software -- but I was also able to access any media I had stored in the Adobe Revel cloud!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:34 am

Steve-

So that will only happen if you are already activated on two computers?
If you have it installed on three, will the first two always need to be signed in to work?
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:08 am

No. You can install it on as many computers as you like -- but you can only be logged in on two computers (any two computers) at any given time.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Let me rephrase:

Do you need to be signed in (logged on), not just activated, to use it?
Peru

Postby tedco » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi,

I don't think you have to be logged in to use it - I have used both Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements 12 without being connected to the internet.

However, even when not connected to the internet, click Help and you will see that you are still Signed In to your Adobe Account - this is where I am concerned with security - if not signed out from the account, I am of the understanding that the account is permanently open.

If, on the other hand you do sign out - next time you want to use the application, you are required to sign in to your account, and unless you once again enter the serial number, the application will only work for 30 days as a trial version - personally, I think Adobe got this whole activation business wrong.

Kind regards
tedco

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Yep. Signing in IS the activation. They're not two separate processes any more. And signing out deactivates the product.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 12