They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

iTunes protected files

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

iTunes protected files

Postby wyzboing » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:45 am

I haven't made any vids in a while so just wondered why I can no longer use my music files in my project. I have rarely encountered problems using music files from my iTunes library - either downloaded or copied from cds - but I just tried about half a dozen tracks (some previously used without any problem) and I just can't copy them to my project. I can use tracks I have downloaded from Muvipix (which are in my iTunes library) so guess it is a DRM issue with iTunes files.

The things which have changed since I last tried to use music in a video are:

I have an updated version of iTunes
I had to wipe my pc clean after a run in with Widows 10, reinstalled Windows 8 and all my software including PRE 11

I checked the forum and some old posts are suggesting using a wav converter or burning to cd and copying back to my pc as wav files. The later sounds the easiest option for me - I have burned the tracks to a cd but how do I know if they are wavs? and how do I get them back to my pc without iTunes reimporting them as protected mp4 files?

Thanks

Wyz
wyzboing

Re: iTunes protected files

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi Wyz,

What exactly do you mean by "Can't copy them to my project"? How are you trying to add them to your project?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wyzboing » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:46 am

Apologies - incorrect and confusing terminology on my part:

Should I have referred to wma files instead of wav files?
Also by copy to my project I meant "add media files to my project" - when I try to "add media to project" the itunes files I select just don't appear in my project whilst other files such as muvipix downloads do. This is a process I have done hundreds of times so I am flummoxed as to why this isn't working now.

I tried the copy to audio cd workaround suggested elsewhere on the forum and this process strips out all the metadata so you end up with a load of anonymous tracks eg. Track1, Track2 etc. which are grabbed by iTunes as new tracks when reimporting and these anonymous files then litter your library. Perhaps I am not doing this correctly - this was the basis of my original question.

I am trying to make a music quiz for a party weekend so I have around fifty tracks. The idea is to create a combined clip of say 10 short music intros (the "questions" if you like) followed by a slightly longer section of each clip by way of "answers" . Each set of question clips and answer clips comprising a quiz round. Each round and each pair of question and answer clips separated by DVD markers so you can select the rounds, questions and answers you want to conjure up from the dvd menu and using some random graphics or hd background on the screen. As I have so many clips to work with it is vital I have all the titles on the tracks otherwise I will be here until eternity trying to sort them out and the party is the weekend after next and I have a shed load of other stuff to do before then.

HOWEVER I have a neat workaround:

I copied the clips I want to use from my iTunes media folder to an HDD. I then copied these to a new project folder on my last-but-one trusty old laptop which I no longer connect to the internet, and which also runs an old version of Windows (Vista), an old version of ITunes and an old version of PRE (8). Any one or more of those factors did the trick as all the files came over complete with titles and I was able to add them to my new project no problem.

I wonder if just disconnecting your pc from the internet whilst you do the adding media to project step would do the trick? Or perhaps you need to stay disconnected until you have finished the project and converted it to another format so the music files are truly embedded?
wyzboing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:51 am

Actually, this is one of the issues we address in our books.

Much of the music purchased from iTunes is copy-protected -- and this digital rights management software will throw up an error code when you try to add the music to a project. Most other music download sites (Amazon.com for instance) don't have as strict digital rights management, so you can often use their music as is. But a lot of iTunes music simply won't go.

The easiest solution is to download a free program called Audacity -- or use SoundForge or Adobe Audition or other audio editor. Open the iTunes file in the program and then do a Save As and select the option to save the song as a WAV file. That WAV file should be free of the digital rights issue.

If that doesn't work, there's a longer workaround, but converting to a WAV usually does it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wyzboing » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Thanks Steve

I have used Audacity in the past, though not for this purpose, so will download that software and try the wav conversion.
wyzboing

Postby Gerlinde » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:33 am

Depending from where you got your files, you can convert them in iTunes. Let's say you have the CD or you got the mp3 from Amazon, open iTunes, under the Edit Menu find Preferences, General open Advanced Settings, click on Import Settings and change the format to .wav . Now import your song and it will be converted to a .wav format that should work in PE. You can't convert songs that you bought from the iTunes store. You would have to do that in Audacity, like Steve suggested. There is a workaround for iTunes songs too. Burn them to a CD and then re-import into iTunes. I'm not sure if that trick still works though. Don't forget to change the import settings back to what they were before. Wav files are really big. You can also convert to mp3 files. They will work in PE11 too.

[attachment=1]Itunes-2 (300x253).jpg[/attachment] [attachment=0]Itunes-1 (294x300).jpg[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby sidd finch » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:13 am

Sounds like the iTunes song was purchased when iTunes was still encoding DRM on their songs. Since you purchased the song on iTunes you might be able to re-download the song from iTuns and it might not have DRM on the song. Not sure if it works but just a thought.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Return to PRE Version 11