They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to reduce ambient room noise in clip w/o affecting voice

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

How to reduce ambient room noise in clip w/o affecting voice

Postby audio90 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi there!

I shot this footage in an empty hotel room (top floor). It was very quiet in there, but if you listen to the audio, the room noise is quite loud. Yes, I know the mic isn't pointing to her mouth, but even if it was, the ambient room noise would still be there.

Is there a way to use a filter in elements to reduce the room noise without affecting the spoken audio?

The clip is on youtube, search for tkIcuUF9EZE (the clip is called "False Creek Collision...another happy customer with Anita Jain")

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkIcuUF9EZE[/youtube]

Thank you for any help you can give.
Last edited by Ron on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube video
audio90
New User
New User

Re: How to reduce ambient room noise in clip w/o affecting v

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:14 pm

The sound is actually very good on this clip, audio (at least through my computer speakers). What specific room noise would you like to reduce?

You can, of course, use a noise gate to remove some hiss or room noise when your actor isn't speaking. But I get the feeling you're trying to address something else -- like maybe an echo.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby audio90 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:28 am

Thanks for the reply. I"m referring to the ambient room noise "hiss". I don't know if its the air conditioner or whatever, but its in the background, compared to clean silence. The speakers voice does have a higher amplitude than the room noise, so she sounds clear, but I always had that ambient room noise in many clips (sometimes its a hum),

So out of curiosity, now that i described it, can you hear it now?
audio90
New User
New User

Postby Chris B » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:25 am

I hope you don't mind - I've taken the liberty of downloading your file...

There is a reasonable amount of hiss on that (possibly some hum - my speakers/headphones aren't good enough). It's quite obvious on the end of your clip in an audio editor on the waveform display. Having said that you have a nice long quiet bit at the end with the hiss that means it's ideal for working with Audacity.

Using Audacity I applied the noise reduction effect which gave this result
http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10215/audio.wav

I find that this can take some of the high frequency off of the audio. I used Sound Forge to "enhance" the high frequency. There are probably other tools that do the same job. This puts back some of the "crispness" into her voice.
http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10215/audio2.wav

Hope this helps.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:19 am

I go along with Chris. Export the audio as a wav (PCM) audio only file. Use the Noise Removal effect in Audacity. Import the processed wav file to your premiere elements project and use it to replace the original audio. You can get the free Audacity program at http://audacity.sourceforge.net/.

I can still hear some noise in Chris's sample -- I must have better headphones. But, you should be able to eliminate most of the noise. Play around with the noise removal effect settings until you find something that works.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 11