They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

pre11 will not now burn avchd

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

pre11 will not now burn avchd

Postby cspitser » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:01 pm

I have pre11, windows 7 64 bit, thinkpad T530.

for several years I have been editing HD M2TS clips in projects and then burning them AVCHD first to a folder and then to a disk.

2 days ago for some reason pre11 refuses to burn avchd. I can burn dvd but not avchd.

I do <publish - share> <DISK> <"no" in the popup for menu> <AVCHD> <Folder 4.7 GB> <browse to target directory> <preset H.264 1920 X 1080i NTSC Dolby> <burn>

First the window says "encoding media" then the progress line goes to 100% then back to 0 and then the message "device error" and then it locks up.

If I try to go to a disk I get the message "fatal error" instead of "device error"

What is wrong and how can I fix it.

Cliff
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: pre11 will not now burn avchd

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:14 pm

If it used to work and suddenly doesn't, it's not likely a problem with the program -- which has apparently been working fine for over two years. Something has changed at the operating system level.

It could be that you need to update to the latest version of Quicktime, or that you need to ensure you have all of the latest Windows updates -- or it could be that one of the recent updates has mucked something up.

You may also want to do some basic maintenance on your computer -- defragmenting the drive and running Disk Cleanup, for instance. And ensuring you have adequate space on your hard drive, of course.

Are you able to burn your AVCHD disc file to a folder rather than directly to a disc?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:If it used to work and suddenly doesn't, it's not likely a problem with the program -- which has apparently been working fine for over two years. Something has changed at the operating system level.

System Restore may take care of it.
Peru

Postby cspitser » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:23 am

Steve, I'll answer your questions one at a time.

* I checked and I have quiccktime 7 which i think is the latest. I never use it proactively.

* My drive has been defragged.

* I have norton 360 which routinely tunes up my disk, but i ran it again anyway.

* I have 100 GB free on my disk.

* Your question about can it burn to a folder. In my original post I said that it will not. I get the "device error" message. This is what I want to do. I always burn to a folder first.

Do you think that I should reinstall pre?
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby cspitser » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:27 am

Steve,

Regarding system restore, I found that I had an automatic restore point from 1-17-2015. I then ran that restore and it did not fix the problem. I have installed all windows updates.
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:03 am

You get a device error message when you're trying to burn to a folder on your hard drive? That's a real head-scratcher, Cliff.

You can try dumping the preference files by holding down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys on the left side of your keyboard (on a PC) as the program launches. That can sometimes fix corruptions that may have crept into the program. You can also uninstall, run CCleaner and then reinstall the program -- getting a bit more of a clean slate for the program to run on.

But I can't imagine (assuming your video is less than 30 minutes long) how you'd get a device error message when burning to a folder on your hard drive.

Does the same thing happen if you try to burn a DVD to a folder on your hard drive?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cspitser » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:23 am

Steve

I mis-read one of your questions. You asked "Does the same thing happen when you burn a DVD to a folder" I incorrectly answered "yes". Actually I can burn a DVD to a folder, but not a AVCHD. Sorry for the confusion.

Cliff
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:05 am

How long is your video?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cspitser » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:58 am

I tried one with only one clip of my project which was only about 1 minute. that didn't work. I then tried burning an old project which had burned fine but won't work now.
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:29 pm

Try doing a Save As and save your project file under a different name, in a new directory folder. This will trick the program into creating new transcoding files rather than re-using the old.

Also, go to the program's preferences and, on the Media page, clean the Media Cache.

If that doesn't work, try clearing preferences or doing the uninstall/reinstalling/CCleaner I recommended above.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cspitser » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:01 pm

Steve,

I think I am almost out of the woods on this problem. I did what you said on the save as and the clear media cache. This solved the problem for the very small projects I was using for testing. But when I then tried to burn my real project, ( 16 minutes with 47 clips ) I got the same “device error message. So I concluded that I had 2 issues, (1), the cleaning out of database data, and (2) something wrong with my prel. So I loaded all of the source files in my project and burned that with no editing. That worked.

So I plan to Do all of my editing again and see if it works. That will take about 1 ½ hours of editing. Not ideal, but I don’t know what else to do at this point. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Cliff
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:14 am

Good troubleshooting, Cliff! Thanks for sharing your results!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cspitser » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:32 pm

Steve,

I am really frustrated now. Still can’t burn my project to an avchd folder.

Here is the situation now. I deleted pre11 and ran cclean. Then I re-installed pre11 from the original disk. Then I started from scratch and made 3 files. Project #1 I just imported my 47 m2ts clips from my camera into the project and saved it with no modifications. This project is about 16 minutes long. Project #2 I did my deletions. I deleted some clips entirely and cut some pieces out of some others. This left about 13 minutes. Then Project #3, I did a fade in of audio and video on the first clip , and a fade out of audio and video on the last clip. Then I did selected all and did a “insert default transition (which is cross dissolve for the entire project) (every time I do this the program always misses a few clips. I had to go through and manually insert the transition in about 5 places) Now this project was ready to burn. When burning it, it would give me the same old error message (device error). It starts with “encoding media” This runs for about 15 minutes, then it says compiling media. This runs for about 30 seconds. Then it says “burning to folder” and after 1 second it locks up and says “device error”

Then I went to project # 3 and just hit the enter key for “render” . I got the window that said it was rendering. It went up to frame 39 and then stopped forever. I did the same thing (enter key) for projects 1 and 2 and instead of getting the “rendering” window it just started playing the project as if I had hit the space bar.

Honestly, I am not making this stuff up. I might have to trash adobe if I can’t fix this.

Any suggestions?
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:14 am

I'm sorry, Cliff. At this point I'm not sure what more we can offer, as far as troubleshooting it on this forum.

Since you're a premium subscriber to our forum, I'm glad to get on Skype with you at some point and see if we can troubleshoot it that way. You're also welcome to Dropbox your project and media files to me at Steve at Muvipix and I'll be glad to see if I get the same results on my computer.

But if we can't duplicate the issue, it may be something unique to your computer.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cspitser » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:16 am

Thank you for your very generous offer to help. I think the dropbox idea is the best. It will take me some time to do this.

I installed dropbox on my computer. It says I get 2 GB of space. My source media files are 2.59 GB. Could I do it in two batches?

And also when I say "share" how do I address you?
cspitser
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to PRE Version 11