They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Moving media files after starting a Project

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Moving media files after starting a Project

Postby rtk1958 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:02 pm

I'm sure this question has been posed before, but after spending a while searching the forum I wasn't able to find relevant info and just decided to ask again.

Anyway, I had started a PRel 7.0 project. During the project, I purchased an external disk drive and moved my entire project folder, image/photo files, audio files, video files, .prel, scratch files and all to a folder on the new drive. However, PRel is still looking for the media files on the old drive. I know I can change the location of each media file within PRel one at a time, but this would take forever. Is there a quicker way?

Thanks,
Todd

p.s. After a long hiatus, good to be back!
rtk1958

Re: Moving media files after starting a Project

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Welcome back Todd. When the program can't find the first file, browse to the new location to show it where it is. At that point the program will automatically look in that location for any other files that it can't locate. If it then has other files that it can't find it's likely because they're in a different folder or folders. Browse to that folder and it will again use that location to find any that it can. Repeat as necessary. You don't have to repeat it for each file - only for each folder. I've done this in the past and it usually doesn't take long.

By the way, I notice that you said you have a V7 project but you posted in the V11 forum. Just in case you're not already aware, it's not a good idea to open an earlier version project in a later version of the program. You can corrupt your project doing so. If you decide to try this anyway, be sure to work with a copy of your project file so that you still have the original intact.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby rtk1958 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:36 pm

Thanks Dave, very helpful advice. My media files are in about five different folders within my PrEl project folder so I'll find at least one file in each folder and re-direct PrEl to the new folder location.

While I'm at it, have one more question. My new disk drive is faster than my system drive so want to take full advantage of that while using PrEl. I've gone into Edit->Preferences->Scratch Disks and made sure all scratch disks PrEl uses are on the new drive, all looks good there. There is another setting under Edit->Preferences->Media for "Media Cache Database" which is currently set to a /Users/User/... folder on the system drive C:. I think I should also change this location to a folder on my new drive. It lets me browse to and set the location to a folder on my new drive, then asks if I want to move the contents from the current cache location to the new location to which I say yes. Afterwards, it doesn't appear to do much and after I save the change and hit ok, when I go back to Edit->Preferences->Media the Media Cache Database pathname is back to the folder on the C: drive again and there appears to be nothing moved to the new folder.

Any advice on what I should do with this setting and how?

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated,
Todd

p.s. I am using PrEl 7, not sure why I posted this in the PrEl 11 forum. Maybe because 11 rhymes with 7? :conf:
rtk1958

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:15 am

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to help with your media cache database question but I'm sure someone will be along to do so.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:41 pm

rtk1958 wrote: It lets me browse to and set the location to a folder on my new drive, then asks if I want to move the contents from the current cache location to the new location to which I say yes. Afterwards, it doesn't appear to do much and after I save the change and hit ok, when I go back to Edit->Preferences->Media the Media Cache Database pathname is back to the folder on the C: drive again and there appears to be nothing moved to the new folder.

I don't use Premiere Elements, but use Premiere Pro, so I'm only guessing:

Try saving that project as a new name. Change the Media Cache Database location. Delete the Media Cache Database. (or rename it to old... if you are afraid of deleting). Save the project again as a new name. Close it, restart the computer, and reopen it. See what happens.
Peru

Postby Bob » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:54 pm

I had Premiere Elements 7 and can confirm that the program doesn't change the media cache database location like it should when you move the database on a Windows 7 system. Maybe it worked on Windows XP -- I don't know. The location of the database is stored in the Windows Registry, but Premiere Elements 7 is not updating that registry entry. The media cache database will revert to it's old location the next time you start the program.

The media cache database keeps track of the various conformed files in your projects. If you use the same file in multiple projects, Premiere Elements will only conform the file once and use that conformed file in the other projects where it's used. It doesn't hurt to have the media cache database in the default location. There isn't a lot activity on the database. The one thing you need to do is periodically run "clean" from the Premiere Elements 7 edit>preferences>media panel. "Clean" checks the entries in the database and removes the ones for conformed files that have been deleted. If you don't "clean" the database, it will continue to grow as you create new projects and potentially can become quite large.
Bob

Postby rtk1958 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks Bob, I think I'll just leave the media cache database in its default location. I believe it acts as a table of contents for conformed files available to any/all Adobe programs but doesn't actually contain the files. In the case of PrEl conformed files, those would now be located in my newly relocated media folders on the new hard drive. Accessing the media cache database should be pretty fast as there wouldn't be large amounts of data involved in just reading a table of contents. The located content (i.e. conformed file) would be read from the external hard drive.

Thanks all for the good advice!

Todd
rtk1958

Return to PRE Version 11