They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

clip rotation - changing anchor point

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

clip rotation - changing anchor point

Postby angelah100 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:31 am

Sorry, this is probably a really dumb question but I can't seem to figure out how to change an anchor point. I have a still clip in the video, and it's zoomed and I want the clip to rotate around a center point (the center of a basketball) while clips zooms out. Is there any way to move the anchor point from the default (which is the center of the clip, and is not viewable when I'm zoomed in) to the center of the basketball by clicking on the center of the basketball somehow? I would like to click to select the anchor point location instead of doing the pixel math (which, since I'm hyped up on coffee and chocolate eggs would be impossible right now).

Thanks, and Happy Easter everybody!
angelah100

Re: clip rotation - changing anchor point

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:48 am

You can change the Anchor Point for a graphic or clip in the Motion properties -- accessible by selecting the clip on the timeline and clicking the Applied Effects button.

By default, the Anchor Point is the center of the clip (360 240 on a standard DV clip or 960 540 on a high-def clip).
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby angelah100 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Steve, I know how to get to the anchor point settings but is there a way to just click where I want the anchor point moved to? Or must I somehow figure out the coordinates of the point where I want it to be? I know (visually) where I want it to be but don't know the coordinates of that point, if that makes any sense.
angelah100

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:27 pm

You can't just click to move the anchor point -- that would be nice if you could. But, you don't have to calculate the position either. If you hover the cursor over the x or y numeric value for the anchor point, you can scrub the value by clicking and dragging left or right. If you hold down the shift key, it will scrub faster for moving larger distances. A couple of tips: You need the anchor point visible in the frame. With the clip selected and the motion properties visible, click on the image in the monitor and the anchor point should show as a circle with a cross in it. If the anchor point is off screen, you will need to move the image position until it is on screen. As you scrub the anchor point x or y position, the anchor point symbol will stay in the same location in the monitor and the image will move. That's ok. Scrub the anchor point position until it lines up with the location on the image where you want it to be. Now, adjust the position property (not the anchor point property) to frame the image as you want it. Now you can keyframe the rotation property to spin the image around the basketball.
Bob

Postby angelah100 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Ah, that works. Thank you, Bob!
angelah100

Return to PRE Version 11