They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Re-opening saved files

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Re-opening saved files

Postby IanKing » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:48 pm

Hello all, I may be asking a very basic question but it's been a while since I opened Prem. Family issues illnesses etc.

When I started Prem elements and tried to open the last file I worked on I got an error message saying Prem could not open the file because the codec was not installed. |I rebooted Prem and the next message I got was that it did not recognise the file type. I assumed it meant the extension of ".prel".

If Photoshop saves the files with such an extension why does it not recognise on selection?
Can anyone tell me how I open these saved projects - I don't want to start over!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running an Acer laptop with 12 gb ram, AMD Quad core processor @ 2.5 Ghz per thread, Windows 8.1 (64 bit), 2.5 TB of disk space. The equipment is all new so could this be a windows 8.1 issue? The files were stored on an outboard hard drive and are still on the same drive, so were NOT transferred onto the new laptop.

Thanks,

Ian King
IanKing
New User
New User

Re: Re-opening saved files

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Are trying to open a Photoshop file or a Premiere Elements file?

What steps are you taking to open a Premiere Elements file?

Remember that a Premiere Elements file is a .prel file. It has no codec. You open it by going to File/Open.

If you are getting no codec message, you may be trying to open it incorrectly -- possibly by trying to open it in the Add Media screen.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby IanKing » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:39 am

Thanks Steve. I wrote down all the steps I took to open the file, then realised that the drive letters had been re-ordered when I installed the new laptop. Going through the relinking of files now. hopefully that's the solution.

thanks again

Ian
IanKing
New User
New User

Postby Gerlinde » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:20 am

the next message I got was that it did not recognise the file type. I assumed it meant the extension of ".prel".

This usually means you are trying to open a project file created with an earlier version of PRE. You mention that you have a new computer. Are you also using a newer version of Premiere? If you created the project let's say in PRE 7 and now you want to open it in PRE 12 you would get that message.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby IanKing » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:08 am

I'm sure I created the files in v11. I still do have v9 so I can fire that up and try it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ian
IanKing
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 11