They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Lost Effects When Converted to AVI

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Lost Effects When Converted to AVI

Postby videolady » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:00 pm

As I get more 'creative' with my projects, I run into more rendering issues as well as lost info once it's converted to AVI. I see from past posts that Steve said "Rendering time is a combination of the speed of your processor, the resolution of your video, the length of the segment you're rendering and the complexity of your effect(s)."

I think, since I mainly use photos instead of video that this is more taxing to a project. I uncheck Scale to Frame Size, resize all photos to under 1000X750 pixels and work on projects in sections so each one is no more than 5 minutes long. But I use Motion Elements, and backgrounds from Muvipix plus I use psd files (that have to be rendered every time I reopen).

Right now, I have 2 sections (2 minutes and 3:10 minutes) that have both lost effects or photos are in the wrong spot or portions are cut off once they are converted to AVI files. And while I was working on them, the program would completely shut down or stop responding while I was working on it or rendering part of it.

I know I am not good at Pr El (version 11), but you must be able to do more with the software without all of the trouble I have. So I am thinking my problem is: 1. the way I create projects, 2. the type of things I use - photos, background motions, psd files and a good number of keyframes, and /or 3. my old computer hardware.

I use Windows XP. My computer is from 2007: Intel E6600 Core Duo 2.4 Gig 2Mb. A month ago, when preparing my computer for this new project, I couldn't run Disk Defrag because I didn't have enough free disk space on the C drive and then my monitors weren't able to display so I got a new video card (Asus 210 Silent) and for more space, they changed my hard drive from Western Digital 500 Gb to 1 TB and added 1 GIG Corsair RAM. But I still have the problems mentioned.

Should I cut my losses with this system and update to something that can keep up with me?!
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Lost Effects When Converted to AVI

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 am

I'm not sure what's going on, VL! Particularly with version 11, the problems you're describing are very rare.

It certainly sounds like you're doing everything right.

The only thing that could potentially cause the problems you're describing is the lack of hard drive space -- which you've apparently addressed. I assume you've got the drive formatted NTFS and that you've run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter on it. And that you haven't got the hard drive partitioned or set up for RAID or anything out of the ordinary like that, right?

And what is your total RAM load now?

You really should have adequate power to do the kind of work you're doing. Have you run Malware Bytes (a free download) on your system lately? And which antivirus program are you running?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks for your attention with this, Steve.

Yes, NTFS format, Disk Cleanup and Defrag was just run at computer store because they also found a major virus that they almost couldn't fix. The hard drive is not partitioned or anything unusual. Total RAM is now 4 Gig. They cleaned malware and I have AVG Free. So I am taking it back for them to check again in case the virus caused more damage than first thought, in which case he thinks they may have to scrub everything and start from scratch.

Please reply if you have any thoughts to ask them to check out or focus on. I will post the outcome from their evaluation!
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:08 am

It could be virus damage, VL. And wiping it and reinstalling the OS will give you a good clean restart.

It's a lot of work, though, since you'll need to reinstall all of the programs. But if you're up for it, it should fix everything.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:02 am

Finally I have my computer back with a clean slate and reinstalled PE and PRE 11. The prel's I started still had some bad graphics that I had to replace. They were things from PRE like the stork, stork frame and a thought bubble. They just wouldn't be recognized and show anymore - weird.

Periodically while fixing these and converting to AVI's for the final compilation, I still get a few errors:
One is: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 has encountered a problem and needs to close. Along with the option to report it to Microsoft.
Another is: Adobe Premiere Elements is running very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution.

They replaced my video card with an Asus 210 Silent. They said it was an entry level card but it should handle what I do because I mostly use photos instead of video in my projects. At least i think that was their reasoning. Is this video card good enough?

Also, that yellow triangle icon with an exclamation in it shows up in the bottom left corner shows up once in a while with a list of file names. I think it must be the problem files but I haven't read them all to know for sure. (I am rushing to try and finish the video before the trip!)

Any thoughts as to why those message are showing up after all of these repairs to my system and whether they will stop as I start new pieces of this project today?
(Maybe this needs to be moved to the Computer Issues section of the forum.)
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:39 am

When you get a message that you're running low on system memory, it's usually an indicator that you need to render your timeline.

Meantime, go to the ASUS web site and ensure that you have the latest driver. (Your installer probably just used the Windows-supplied driver). And are you still running with only 2 gigs of RAM? You really should be running with 4 gig with XP.

And I always recommend going to Windows Update and selecting the Custom option. I download every available update, even the non-critical updates that don't install automatically. These Non-Critical Updates often supply important support for your OS.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:53 am

BTW, I don't know if you're using Microsoft Security Essentials as your antivirus, but I highly recommend it. Not only is it free, but it works very efficiently and never conflicts with intensive processes like video editing.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... s-download
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:06 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:BTW, I don't know if you're using Microsoft Security Essentials as your antivirus, but I highly recommend it. Not only is it free, but it works very efficiently and never conflicts with intensive processes like video editing.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... s-download

I switched to this with my new build on the recommendation of my tech guy. He also built my computer. Works great and the best part it is free.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Gerlinde » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:58 am

I also use Security Essentials from Microsoft and have no complains. I have heard on several occasion that AVG virus software is causing problems.

But I'm also wondering about the capabilities of your computer. Are you running XP 32-bit or 64-bit? If you are running 32-bit the additional 1gb of RAM won't do you much good. Windows 32-bit can only use 3gb of RAM, so you can't really expect any performance improvement. Most computers are now on 64-bit OS and all the newer programs are optimized for 64-bit, PRE11 is one of them.

I don't know how much money you have already invested to get your system up to spit. I think you would be better off to invest in a new computer. It would probably save you from all the frustration you are going through right now.

Edit:
You could also consider to upgrade to Windows 7 or even Windows 8 64-bit. That would be maybe a cheaper option than buying a new computer. There is an Upgrade Advisor tool on the Microsoft site. This is for Win7 : http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=20
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby videolady » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:55 pm

Thanks for everyone's responses. Here's where I am at from the computer store and from your advise:
The ASUS video card was updated from nVidea who actually makes the card but the store said if I still have problems i could go right to ASUS and update from there.
Security Essentials is what they put on this time (changed from AVG) but I saw I needed to update it.
Steve, I updated Custom Microsoft Updates.
I have XP 64 bit.
Things are much better now. I am working on a 2 minute segment with Instant Movie. I used the Breakaway feature and am changing a few things but rendering after every photo effects change (about 5 seconds of video) and the only I see right now is an occasional Memory is Low message.
This is a HUGE improvement and I am back on track. Again, thanks to everyone. I hope it continues to be this good.
Awesome suggestions when no one else could help!!
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Sounds like you're on the right track, vl! Don't forget to render your timeline often to keep things stable.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:45 pm

I am either going to do some serious upgrading or get a new desktop because I have had so many problems with PS/PRE 12 on my 2007 system (albeit I have had some replacement parts over the years). My computer guy thinks he can save me money by upgrading only. I am willing to pay more in order to have faster performance.

I would appreciate any help/opinions anyone has.

Original system:
ASUS - P5WDH-DX MAINBOARD
INTEL E6600 CORE DUO 2.4 GIG 2 MB
PANASONIC 1.44 FLOPPY DISK DRIVE (BLACK)
WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 74 GIG 10,000
WESTERN DIGITAL 500 GIG SATA HARD DRIVE
ATI RADEON SAPHIRE X1650 512 MEG - had video card problems with NVIDIA 7300. COOLMASTER CENTURION 5 ATX CASE WITH 550 NEOPOWER POWER SUPPLY
LG GSA H10A DVD RW(BLACK) DVD RW-+/-
WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL
LG 195-TX 19" LCD MONITOR, 8MS, 1280 X 1024 - (TWO)
PLEXTOR AV402U MPEG CONVERTOR

IN 2013,
HAD MORE VIDEO CARD PROBLEMS WITH THE ATI CARD AND HAD IT REPLACED WITH AN ASUS VIDEO CARD BUT DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE.
ALSO HAD 2 1 GIG CORSAIR RAM ADDED AND 1 TB HARD DRIVE.

MY COMPUTER GUY HAS SUGGESTED UPGRADING WITH THE FOLLOWING FOR ABT $1000 IN CANADA (AND I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT EACH COMPONENT IS):
THERMALTAKE COMMANDER MID - NO PS
GIGABYTE 78LMT-USB3
AMD FX6300 - OR UPGRADE MORE TP AMD FX 9350 FOR EXTRA $130
KINGSTON 1x8 = 8GB 1333 MHx
LG DVDRW
KINGSTON 120GB SSD
ASUS GTX650
GOLDENFIELD 550 WATT
WINDOWS 7 PRO

OR ANOTHER SYSTEM FOR ABT $950:
INTEL I5 4460 CPU
ASUS H81-A PLUS MAINBOARD
2X4 RAM 8 GIG TOTAL
240 GIG SSD HARD DRIVE
LG SATA DVD RW ROM
INWIN MINI TOWER CASE
WINDOWS 7 PRO

My main concerns are having a good compatible video card, fast processing with PRE (I use a LOT of photos which seems to be more taxing than video footage) and fast rendering.

Thanks for any input.
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:55 am

Just some initial thoughts.

Is there a reason you are being advised to buy a new case? Also, my bias is towards Intel rather than AMD but I have no rational reason for that :-8

If I were to upgrade my own system (see sig. below) it would be to replace the motherboard and CPU, maybe the graphics card too. CPU would be an i7 or, following Jack Falbey's advice, a Xeon. In your case I would also install a bluray burner rather than a DVD burner. The price difference isn't so great and then you have the flexibility for the future if you are not using BD at present
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:19 am

Your graphics card and brand of hard drive(s) and even your operating system are negotiable -- but get as powerful a processor as you can. This benchmark chart has been very helpful for me. Any processor that rates over 6000 should have plenty of video editing power.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

The quad core i5 you're considering would be a good choice. That I might install a second 500+ gig hard drive for your video files.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:38 am

I believe he suggested a mini case in one quote because I asked if cases are any smaller these days because of the limited space I have to work in. He really didn't like the idea saying that it reduces room for the cooling fan to work, I think.
I also like Intel over AMD but he says that you get more power for less money and equally as good. (?)
Other concern is getting components that aren't compatible with Adobe PRE. I don't use this every day but when I go into a project, I don't want a very taxed, slow system. As I said, I use photos much more than video (glorified slide shows mostly).
Thx for your input!
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to PRE Version 11