They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Once cut, can video clips be linked again?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Once cut, can video clips be linked again?

Postby _Paz_ » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:35 am

On the hand/brush clip the early footage has a light background because the camera is trying to show the dark velvet background. Pretty soon after I move the brush into the camera's view, certainly by the time my hand enters, the background darkens to almost black, which is what I want.

I cut, or split the clip to separate the light background from the dark, then made a mask and created a lower layer of black to darken the background on the light section.

So far, so good.

Then I wanted to reduce the size of the hand/brush through the entire video. I cannot figure out a way to link the clips so they are both reduced in size by the same amount. I've only been able to figure out how to reduce them one at the time, and am not certain they've been reduced equally.

Is there a way to lock clips together once they have been cut?

thanks,

Paz

(I have been able to unlink and re-link audio and video, but not two or more video clips.)
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Once cut, can video clips be linked again?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:23 pm

You could resize one (the hand for instance), then right-click on it, select Copy, then select the other clip, right-click and select Paste Adjustments and Effects.

This will copy exactly the same effects and motion settings from one clip to the other.

On the other hand, if youv'e got other effects or motion or position settings on the hand, this will paste them also -- which may not be what you want.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 pm

You can copy just one effect from one clip and then paste the effect to other clips.

1.Select the clip on the timeline with the effect you want to copy.
2.Open the Applied Effects panel and right-click on the effect and select Copy from the popup menu.
3.Select a clip on the timeline you want to paste the effect to.
4.Right-click in the Applied Effects panel and select Paste.

Repeat 3 and 4 for other clips you want to paste the effect to.

You can't select mutiple clips to paste to at one time. You have to select one clip at a time and paste.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks, guys!

I understand.

I also learned last night, quite by accident, that once a patchwork quilt has been saved-rendered so it can be saved to computer, then when opened again, it is all once piece. I had one chopped into over a dozen snippets, some really tiny.

Of course, for editing, like my original question of re-sizing the brush/hand in two separate clips, it would definitely be better to match the re-size before save-rendering.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 11