They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Aspect Ratio Correction Possible for IPhone Video?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Aspect Ratio Correction Possible for IPhone Video?

Postby bryanedmondson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:42 pm

Can anyone suggest how I might solve the following problem: I shot some videos with an IPhone video camera and the videos are very unaesthetic due to the NLE and exported video scale and aspect ratio. I want to fill the video frame area for which ever display resolution project settings I use.I know that this can be corrected as I saw a video on Vimeo shot with an IPhone with a corrected aspect ratio .

An Example of my IPhone aspect ratio problem ( this is my video of a dog)
I understand I should not have shot my dog video in portrait orientation. I know that landscape would have been better, however I have shot other IPhone videos in landscape orientation and the result was still unable to fill the frame as shown in the next links' video of the city scape.

An Example of another person's video (CityScape) Where the IPhone aspect ratio problem is corrected

Any tips are much appreciated.

"Unfit" in Texas
Computer Specs: Dell XPS8500, Intel i7-3970X 15M Cache 4.00 GHz, RAM 64 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB Memory, System Volume: 1TB SATA 10,00 RPM Raid 0 Array, Scratch Disk: 240 GB Intel SSD Raid 0 Array,OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
bryanedmondson

Re: Aspect Ratio Correction Possible for IPhone Video?

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:52 am

The way you have to do it in Premiere Elements is to turn off "Scale to frame size" for the clip. Just right-click on the clip on the timeline and you'll see the item on the pop-up menu. Then on the right side of Pre window click on "Applied Effects," and click on the spin-down button for the Motion effect. There you can adjust the Scale slider to enlarge the clip until it fills the frame. You'll be cutting off a lot from the top and bottom of a portrait dimensioned clip.

Scaling the clip this way was proven, in prior versions, to result in higher quality images than if you kept "Scale to frame size" on and adjusted the Scale slider.

There may be a problem if you share your project using a different video resolution than the project's preset. The problem is the clip won't scale to fit a lower or higher resolution the way you hoped, because you turned off "scale to frame size." Other clips that are overlayes may not be in the same relative position to the scaled image. If "Scale to frame size" is on, then usually the image will scale properly when you share to different resolutions. It depends on the video format you choose when sharing. Just be aware of this problem.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Aspect Ratio Correction Possible for IPhone Video?

Postby bryanedmondson » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:43 am

RJ Johnston wrote:The way you have to do it in Premiere Elements is to turn off "Scale to frame size" for the clip. Just right-click on the clip on the timeline and you'll see the item on the pop-up menu. Then on the right side of Pre window click on "Applied Effects," and click on the spin-down button for the Motion effect. There you can adjust the Scale slider to enlarge the clip until it fills the frame. You'll be cutting off a lot from the top and bottom of a portrait dimensioned clip.

Scaling the clip this way was proven, in prior versions, to result in higher quality images than if you kept "Scale to frame size" on and adjusted the Scale slider.

There may be a problem if you share your project using a different video resolution than the project's preset. The problem is the clip won't scale to fit a lower or higher resolution the way you hoped, because you turned off "scale to frame size." Other clips that are overlayes may not be in the same relative position to the scaled image. If "Scale to frame size" is on, then usually the image will scale properly when you share to different resolutions. It depends on the video format you choose when sharing. Just be aware of this problem.

Thank You RJ. That makes sense. I never would have thought of it -- I have had one of those "computer days." where each tiny step is a knot in the string that leads to my goal, I have not done anything for 4 hours except spending 20 minutes to untangle each successive one..
I appreciate your time and consultation.

Respectfully Bryan Edmondson
Computer Specs: Dell XPS8500, Intel i7-3970X 15M Cache 4.00 GHz, RAM 64 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB Memory, System Volume: 1TB SATA 10,00 RPM Raid 0 Array, Scratch Disk: 240 GB Intel SSD Raid 0 Array,OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
bryanedmondson

Return to PRE Version 11