They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Memory problems adding clips from Files and Folders

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Memory problems adding clips from Files and Folders

Postby TennisKaty040 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:05 pm

My brand new computer is a Dell XPS8500, with Intel 3.4 gHz Quad Core processer and 12 GB RAM. Video card is NVida GTX660.
My footage was shot with a Canon HF G10, AVCHD. Since my finished product will be on standard DV, I converted all my footage to .AVI using Wondershare Ultimate Video Converter. Before starting the project, I forced the Elements 11 preset to Standard DV, 16:9.
I imported about 80 video scenes from Files on my hard disk with no problem. Then things stopped working. When I try to import a scene now I either get a "this type of file is not supported..." error message from Premiere, or I get a low memory warning from the
computer. I ran a memory test on the computer and it said everything was OK.

I can import the same scene into another test project with very little in it with no problem, so I guess something is clogged up somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Katy
TennisKaty040
New User
New User

Re: Memory problems adding clips from Files and Folders

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:37 pm

The problem is probably the result of your converting your video to AVI using WonderShare. There are literally thousands of types of AVIs, and most won't work with video editing programs.

But there's really no reason to convert your files -- especially not with your computer! Just use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera tool (the Video Importer) to get the video directly from your Canon HF. The footage is already in an ideal format for the program (AVCHD)!

Just do your editing with the AVCHD and then, when you're ready to output, select the standard DV output most appropriate for whatever medium you're going to use it on (the internet, a DVD, an iPad, etc.). We can give your more specific advice on your output when we know exactly how and where you plan to display your finished video.

Meantime, have you checked out our free 8-part Basic Training tutorials? They'll show you how to do these basics, like getting AVCHD video from your camcorder and sharing your finished piece.
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 2&btn.y=15
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TennisKaty040 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks, Steve. I will check out the tutorials - I have your new book Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements 11. Already have the AVCHD files on my computer so will go from there.

Katy
TennisKaty040
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Great, Katy. Sounds like you're on the right track!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 11