They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Starting Over - Preferences?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Starting Over - Preferences?

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:17 pm

I have two hard drives, each 500 GB.

The first is currently partitioned into two segments.

C drive = 149GB, 42 free
D drive = 315 GB, 315 free

E drive = 465 GB, 196 free
(I can move more files off of D but I'll have to buy another external hard drive first.)

My original plan was for:

C to hold Operating System and Programs
D for scratch drive

E for files

I've been saving video files on E and like a dunce, it didn't click that 'same as project' wasn't the same thing as 'same as source.'

Premiere Elements 11 has been saving all sorts of things on C drive. In fact, it was within 5 GB of being full. I've deleted and moved all sorts of things. Fortunately, most of the video I've already played around with has been experimental exercises.

I've heard 150GB isn't enough for C drive. So, I've been able to completely clear D drive and will soon attempt to move the partition if I need to.

How much is enough for C drive?

How should I set my preferences? I realize now that I did not set them at all when I upgraded to PreEl 11.

thanks for any suggestions,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Starting Over - Preferences?

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:30 pm

_Paz_ wrote:....I've heard 150GB isn't enough for C drive....

Don't know where that advice came from. Seems big enough for me. In older PCs one originally got a 40GB or 80GB HDD and no other drives - and that was the standard not so long ago!! :-D

My PC is configured as follows:

C: drive - I have a 120GB SSD as my C: drive. Only programs and Windows work files on that drive and it never gets above around 60% or so full.
D: drive - is for current (i.e. work in progress) video projects. It is a 150GB WD Raptor (This used to be my C: drive until I bought the SSD).
E: drive - a WD 500GB HDD and is used for for all of my data - documents, photos, music, spreadsheets etc. It also acts as interim storage for finished projects before I archive them.

All of my PC drives are backed up to a network attached storage (NAS) device. An external HDD would work equally well it is just that I have other uses for the NAS.

This arrangement works OK for me. No problems to date and never any disc space issues.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to PRE Version 11