They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Moving to PRE 11 from 10

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Moving to PRE 11 from 10

Postby bernieraffe » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:34 am

I've just purchased PRE 11, waiting for delivery,I didn't actually purchase the V11 upgrade, the full version was actually cheaper than the upgrade on Amazon, so I went for that instead.

I'm keen to know whether I can expect the new version to open my previous v10 projects without problems,just doing a quick search around the web, some people have run into problems, but I suspect they may have changed computers using different folder, at the same time.

Any advice needed?

Cheers,
Bernie
bernieraffe

Re: Moving to PRE 11 from 10

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 am

Hi Bernie,
We always recommend opening only new projects in new versions and completing all old projects in their version.
You can make a copy of an existing v10 project file ("projectname.prel") and try opening that in version 11.
The key is to make a copy first because if you open a file in a newer version and save it then you can no longer open it in the previous version, so be very careful if you do that ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:38 am

There's a basic rule of thumb on this which is pretty much universally accepted by everyone here that I'm aware of:

Start new projects in the version of your choice and keep them there. If you're going to use V11, start new projects in V11. If you have a need to start a new project in a previous version, keep it there.

Open previous projects in the version that they were created.

If you must open a project in a different version than it was created, be sure to have backups of your project before you start because there are no guarantees. Once you open and save a project in a later version you will likely not be able to reopen it in a previous version.

Also note that just because you may be able to open a project in a different version doesn't mean that things will work correctly. You may only discover this after you've played with it for a while.

A good practice for those of us using multiple versions of Premiere Elements is to keep separate main folders for each version's projects, with subfolders for each project. It's easier to not get mixed up and accidently open an old project in a newer version. Here's what mine looks like. I have 4 versions installed.

PrEl Folders.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby bernieraffe » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks for the information, I'd rather hoped I could get rid of my old versions of PRE, but I'll take your advice on board and keep them around.

On a related note, all of my videos are PRE 10, but I did use the Adobe upgrade option from v9. Can I safely un-install PRE 9 do you think?

Thanks again,
Bernie
bernieraffe

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:13 am

The "upgrade" is just a special price offered to current users of the program. You still get the entire program.

So, yes, once you've installed a new version, you need not keep the old one on your system. Except, as Chuck says, to work on older projects.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bernieraffe » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:19 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:The "upgrade" is just a special price offered to current users of the program. You still get the entire program.

That's interesting, I thought you had to keep the previous version in order not to break the new, thanks for the tip.

PS Interesting that, at the monemt, Amazon UK is selling the full version of PRE 11 cheaper than the upgrade!!

Bernie
bernieraffe

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:26 am

>Interesting that, at the monemt, Amazon UK is selling the full version of PRE 11 cheaper than the upgrade!!

That's very, very common.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bernieraffe » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:39 am

The good news is that PRE 11 is opening up and working fine with my my PRE 10 projects, not even any messages asking if I want to convert from a previous format.

One strange behaviour I've noticed is that after I do a render on the Timeline, the video clips look much worse, not as sharp and with some graininess. A bit alarming, but it doesn't appear to affect the final output.

Bernie
bernieraffe

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi Bernie,

PRE11 has something new. There are two levels of rendered preview quality: High Quality - Low Speed, and Low Quality - High Speed.

You can specify which level you want on the General tab in Preferences. It's the last option in the list. It's probably set to Low Quality-High Speed right now.

Changing the preference doesn't automatically clear already rendered preview files. You'll have to go to the Timeline menu and select "delete rendered files," and then render again with the high quality setting.

The preview quality doesn't affect or even reflect the final quality you'll get when you share.

Rob
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby bernieraffe » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Thanks Rob,

Yes, that was it, thanks, I'll leave it at the draft setting, as long as I know the final output is ok, I'd rather have speed than quality!

Cheers,
Bernie
bernieraffe

Return to PRE Version 11